Bucking in canter

AB81

Visit site
Hi there
Have owned my gelding for 3 years and from being a novice. Initially he would test a little into the trot to canter transition with some little bucks. Terrifying for a novice but we rode through it and enjoyed a year or so of no bucking and lots of cantering. About 8/9 months ago he started huge bucks going into canter, sometimes in the middle of canter. Both reins. We had the vet who could only see mild arthritis in the hocks. He had injections which didn’t make any difference. He’s got a super chiro working on him and has sports massage. The chiro is working on his pelvic area and feels his bum is not as peachy as it should be despite of all the pole work, lunging and long and low riding.
He does it out hacking too and has occasionally tried with my instructor but not as much as with me.
I get the fact it could perhaps be me being nervous in light of how he goes mental! but as a novice when I first started cantering I was far more tense and with a terrible position, and he didn’t do it?!
So confused! Do I go back to the vet? Or how to tackle it if it’s behaviour with me? Thanks!!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would go to a saddler. Many times bucking into canter is hocks, and I would not rule that out, but many more times it is the saddle.

I worked with a horse who totally lost his canter, would buck, go disunited, was very cross. He had regular saddle fits with a master saddler, but when we changed saddles he regained his canter in 6 weeks.

I would also ensure that you are not asking for canter and holding him back at the same time.

I would try on the lunge to see if he has issues with canter on the lunge too.

HEM

Visit site
Agree with the others... as soon as I hear bucking in canter I think pain, normally from the saddle.

AB81

Visit site
Thanks everyone. He will canter on the lunge, but will more often than not throw in a couple of big bucks. However once you bring him back into work mode, he does settle and will canter. Reluctantly! He’s hard to get into the canter on the lunge.
Agree with the holding back on reins and trying to ensure I don’t, but will watch this more and more.
Interesting about the saddle. Second opinion might be a good call here.
Appreciate all the information thank you!