Bucking pt 2…

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
She’s level 3 qualified in stable management and horse care, equine behaviour and psychology. I mentioned to her that it could be pain related and she said it may very well be but I’m limited in what I can do with a horse on part loan.

If this was a bike with a slow puncture, I could understand the RI saying 'push on' you need to practise your balance but this is a living creature who is most likely in pain, related to being ridden. I wouldn't pay this person to teach me anything about horses, tbh. Does she have some sort of relationship with the owner, other than as RI?

ETA, it's not just about you feeling nervous on him, stress the fact that you don't want to cause him any more pain.

Elopi

Visit site
If this was a bike with a slow puncture, I could understand the RI saying 'push on' you need to practise your balance but this is a living creature who is most likely in pain, related to being ridden. I wouldn't pay this person to teach me anything about horses, tbh. Does she have some sort of relationship with the owner, other than as RI?

ETA, it's not just about you feeling nervous on him, stress the fact that you don't want to cause him any more pain.
No she doesn’t know the owner. The owner has a different riding instructor and she has also not advised anything rather than keep taking lessons!

Winters100

Visit site
To me it seems really simple. There are 2 scenarios:

1. Horse is in pain, and this has not been properly investigated and treated by a vet (in my opinion the most likely scenario). If this is the case you should not ride the horse.

2. The horse is being naughty and is not suitable for someone lacking in confidence. If this is the case you should not ride the horse.

I don't think you have any option other than walking away and being thankful that you have not been injured.

I would also say that they do not sound like very nice owners. Poor horse is trying to say 'please no, that hurts' and no one is listening. So all the horse can do is keep saying this in more forceful ways, and this is dangerous.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Agree with everyone else here the pony sounds like it's in pain, constantly bucking every time you canter is not naughty, the odd small buck now and then is a naughty buck, I would just not ride the pony anymore and give them notice to quit the loan if they are not prepared to get a vet and investigate, your going to get hurt and loose all your confidence if you carry on.

Cutgrass

Visit site
100% agree with most on this thread. OP these owners are not supportive, they just want someone to ride the horse through it for them.

A good instructor would also advise you not to continue riding this horse for the sake of your own confidence and good health, and/or would be getting on themselves, so I also question the instructor's approach and end game.

Please do yourself a favour, stop loaning this horse and go back to RS for now to ride some confidence givers. I would hate it to get to the stage where you get hurt or dread riding so much you don't want to go on. It's a hobby and should be fun.

Elopi

Visit site
Update my instructor has cancelled so I think it was a sign …:oops:

I have said this to the owner
“Hi my instructor has cancelled so I’ve not ridden today. I really don’t feel confident riding him and I’m worried that it’s something pain related. I don’t want it to get to a stage where I get seriously hurt and I think it’s worth getting him looked at by a vet because when I first started riding him he was fine and now he has started bucking with me and Georgie. She also mentioned how he got her off on a hack by galloping sideways and I’d hate to keep pushing him if he is in pain. I’m more than happy to keep doing groundwork with him but I don’t want to ride until I know he’s not in any pain? I struggle to think it’s him being naughty as he never bucks on the lunge and he is not phased by the lunge whip, so if he’s only doing it when there is a rider on board it’s making me think otherwise.”
I’m going to see what she says and make a decision from there. Meanwhile I’m researching some better riding schools in my area

Melody Grey

Visit site

“Hi my instructor has cancelled so I’ve not ridden today. I really don’t feel confident riding him and I’m worried that it’s something pain related. I don’t want it to get to a stage where I get seriously hurt and I think it’s worth getting him looked at by a vet because when I first started riding him he was fine and now he has started bucking with me and Georgie. She also mentioned how he got her off on a hack by galloping sideways and I’d hate to keep pushing him if he is in pain. I’m more than happy to keep doing groundwork with him but I don’t want to ride until I know he’s not in any pain? I struggle to think it’s him being naughty as he never bucks on the lunge and he is not phased by the lunge whip, so if he’s only doing it when there is a rider on board it’s making me think otherwise.”
I’m going to see what she says and make a decision from there. Meanwhile I’m researching some better riding schools in my area
Great response ?
Hopefully the owner will get the vet involved before there is an accident!

Bellaboo18

Visit site

????
Brilliant message OP!

Cowpony

Visit site
So they've had saddle and hooves looked at, but don't know where else the pain could be? :eek: Erm.......
And you've told them you don't want to ride the horse again until it's been looked at, and their response is to tell you to ride it in the field, just don't canter :eek:
Don't walk away.......run! They clearly don't care about your safety or the horse's health.

Keira 8888

Visit site
Owners response …
Oh my goodness - this is so frustrating for you! How on earth can she not consider things like kissing spines (only way to diagnose thus is with X-ray) or ulcers etc...

I feel so sorry for the poor horse but you have done everything you can OP, you sound so lovely and caring and tbh the owner sounds inexperienced with equine medical conditions or maybe just doesn’t want to investigate further as it’s inconvenient.

The best and only thing you can do now is refuse to ride the poor horse and walk away. At least you are still in one piece and maybe that will encourage the owner to do the right thing by her horse.

You sound like such a lovely sharer to have and you care for the horse - well done you for standing up for what is right. I hope you find a lovely horse to loan again very soon.
Keira x

Bellaboo18

Visit site
The owner really sounds like shes using you to exercise her horse with no thought to you or the horses safety.

You've done the right thing by saying you think hes in pain but shes just ignoring you. You can definitely find a more suitable and safe loan.

Unfortunately no one can look at a back and just say it's fine.

I hope you find something else, perhaps post your rough area and people might have experience with local trekking centres or riding schools x

Elopi

Visit site
So they've had saddle and hooves looked at, but don't know where else the pain could be? :eek: Erm.......
And you've told them you don't want to ride the horse again until it's been looked at, and their response is to tell you to ride it in the field, just don't canter :eek:
Don't walk away.......run! They clearly don't care about your safety or the horse's health.
That’s what I was thinking, I definitely won’t be riding him.

Elopi

Visit site
Oh my goodness - this is so frustrating for you! How on earth can she not consider things like kissing spines (only way to diagnose thus is with X-ray) or ulcers etc...

I feel so sorry for the poor horse but you have done everything you can OP, you sound so lovely and caring and tbh the owner sounds inexperienced with equine medical conditions or maybe just doesn’t want to investigate further as it’s inconvenient.

The best and only thing you can do now is refuse to ride the poor horse and walk away. At least you are still in one piece and maybe that will encourage the owner to do the right thing by her horse.

You sound like such a lovely sharer to have and you care for the horse - well done you for standing up for what is right. I hope you find a lovely horse to loan again very soon.
Keira x
Thank you that’s so nice to hear. I’m going to take lessons at a riding school to regain some confidence and look for another suitable loan.

Elopi

Visit site
The owner really sounds like shes using you to exercise her horse with no thought to you or the horses safety.

You've done the right thing by saying you think hes in pain but shes just ignoring you. You can definitely find a more suitable and safe loan.

Unfortunately no one can look at a back and just say it's fine.

I hope you find something else, perhaps post your rough area and people might have experience with local trekking centres or riding schools x

I’m in Blackpool Lancs and have been with 2 riding schools here. I never feel like I progressed at these riding schools so I will do some research on others out of my area. I think it’s a bit of a waiting game now as there are not many up for loan where I live at the moment.

teddypops

Visit site
Thank you. I’m a little confused because everyone is telling me not to ride due to risk of injury but my instructor is more or less convincing me to ride even though she has witnessed my falls each time.
She’s the one making money out of you. Please don’t ride this horse again if the issues aren’t sorted. It really isn’t worth the risk to your health.

Leandy

Visit site
Going back to basics. You have this horse on part loan, it regularly bucks people off, you are scared to ride it. What would you tell someone who asked you for advice? Please do yourself a favour and find something more suitable to ride! Life is too short to take on others problems especially when they put you in danger and harm your confidence. Riding is meant to be fun!!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Thank you that’s so nice to hear. I’m going to take lessons at a riding school to regain some confidence and look for another suitable loan.

Shame it's not worked out but sounds like the right decision. I really can empathise having given up a share earlier this year for kind of related reasons but different situation. It was sad to give it up (and makes the £50 for 30 min lessons sting that bit more!) but I could see a 'downward spiral' emerging and did not trust the owner really had my safety in mind so it was the right thing to do. When it's your own horse you have the freedom to try things out (involve vet/physio/saddle fitter/farrier/different instructor for you or to ride the horse) but when you part loan/share if the owner decides 'it's naughty, ride through it' you're a bit limited! I loved my share despite it not really being the ideal one for me, but getting hurt or losing even more confidence would not have been worth it.

Visit site
OP, absolutely brilliant response to the owner. The owner clearly doesn’t have a clue, or genuinely can’t be bothered to get anything else investigated. It is such a shame but I am so proud (that’s not meant to sound patronising) that you have said your piece and you are walking away before you get injured.

Could you travel? There’s likely more possibilities if you can get towards Preston way (Im from Lancs).

Elopi

Visit site
OP, absolutely brilliant response to the owner. The owner clearly doesn’t have a clue, or genuinely can’t be bothered to get anything else investigated. It is such a shame but I am so proud (that’s not meant to sound patronising) that you have said your piece and you are walking away before you get injured.

Could you travel? There’s likely more possibilities if you can get towards Preston way (Im from Lancs).
Thank you I don’t think it’s worth risking my safety and causing the horse more pain.. Yes I have my own transport and I was looking at a few towards Preston way but none seem suitable.

Elopi

Visit site
(FYI it's not very good form to share personal messages on a public forum. In fact, it might even be illegal?)
I tried to crop out any information but I didn’t really know how to convey what the owner was trying to say, to the forum. So I thought showing the messages might be easier for people to interpret.