Bucking when behind

lizijj

Visit site
Hi, my young horse with play up and buck if behind other horses hacking out if they trot or canter. Do I just keep sitting through it and hope he grows out of it? Thanks :)

Mike007

Visit site
Slam your heels into the silly bugger and drive him to the front and say "HOW DO YOU LIKE IT NOW!"Never put up with a horse that bucks ,the only answer is to ride them forward,,,, HARD!!!!!!!

lizijj

Visit site
I've done that before and it did work but of course then we overtook the horses in front... any ideas for teaching them not to do it and keep them at the back??

NoltonSeaShell

Visit site
He needs to get out of that habit!

My first pony used to do it to me all the time if he was behind, I think he felt that he was not fast enough or was being left behind!

One hunt he had me off three times!

He was only 13.2, but i'm only small so he just threw me off like there was no tomorrow! And as soon as i was off he stopped! Put me off ponys for LIFE!! :D

NoltonSeaShell

Visit site
Try and see whats causing it first, is it the gap between the horses that sets him off, have you checked his back?

When you found the cause you can think of a poa to stop it.

Puzzles

Visit site
I would just sit through them and ignore the bucks but ensure he is moving forward: if you are trying to hold your horse back then he will just vent his frustration through bucking, especially if you are holding him back very strongly. The more strongly you try to prevent him from moving infront, the more strongly he will resist. There are lots of things you could assess: the fit of his saddle, whether he has suitable exercise & turnout & feed, the temperaments of his hacking companions (if they are excitable and strong, or smaller/slower than him then it would be unfair to expect him to behave or to move slower to allow them to keep up). However you mustn't let it develop into a habit: stay calm and consistent and don't punish him. Vary between moving infront and behind in the group so that the whole ride isn't a fight. The more he gets used to being behind, the better he should behave as he gets used to it. Always be quick and strong with your praises when he behaves well.

Last edited:

LouS

Visit site
I would take him into that situation set up and practise stopping the behaviour. As soon as he bucks I would sit right back, throw all your weight back and pull him up sharpish, he needs a firm no every single time, he'll soon realise bucking is not fun.

lizijj

Visit site
Thanks Mike, I guess I know your right as that's how I was taught many, many years ago (when I had more confidence and a 12hh pony!) - maybe a jab might teach him a lesson. Norton, thanks for the comments - this is a very well bred blood horse, have checked back, saddle and all that, he's just being a sod which blood horses can be. He is unbalanced at the moment as very big and immature for his age which means he does buck sometimes when schooling, but out hacking on a straight line he has no excuse really other than being excited and silly. He is entered at Royal Cornwall this year, so need to iron it out ASAP! I did get some advice from our friends in Nebraska who have a working ranch, and that was to wear him out in a round pen first. He is so god dam lazy though and no fear of the whip (or anything really, VERY bombproof) I'm on the floor knackered chasing him round first! He is so frustrating as he can really float on his own terms. If he stopped his silly business he'd be a first class hunter.

bluewhippet

Visit site
Are you sure it's not that he is too unbalanced to go as slow as the horse in front? My horse did this when he had difficulties with canter. Once his saddle/back was sorted out and he had learnt to work properly, he was fine behind.

lizijj

Visit site
Puzzels, thanks for your reply. He lives out 24/7, only grass and hay in bad weather. We hack out only with sensible older horses who are forward going though. We take turns to take the lead, no problem when he is in front.

lizijj

Visit site
Hi Blue, I don't think so as the horses in front are forward going. They are pretty old but a lot fitter than he is!

lizijj

Visit site
I try not to trot/canter in the same places - he DID used to do this so that is why I have mixed it up now.

be positive

Visit site
Does he do it if in a school situation with others, if so it may be easier to deal with there, when he does start to buck go past the other one, keep going until you can get behind again,keep repeating until he gets the message, a few sessions of this should make him re think and will help with your plans for showing him.

emma.is

Visit site
Check back, saddle, teeth ect ect.

Is he bucking nastily? Or because he is excited?
Try him in a variety of situations and see what he bucks at.

But yes, all you can do is ride him forward and stick in the seat. Good luck!

Mike007

Visit site
The bottom line is that he will grow out of it unless you make it an issue. The best way to not make it an issue is to always ride them strongly forward. You will suceed. Trust me. Sadly , those of us who have done this stuff often enough are generaly regarded as old gits and what do we Know!;)

lizijj

Visit site
The bottom line is that he will grow out of it unless you make it an issue. The best way to not make it an issue is to always ride them strongly forward. You will suceed. Trust me. Sadly , those of us who have done this stuff often enough are generaly regarded as old gits and what do we Know!;)

LOL! Well, I've often found that the best advice comes from 'Old Gits' and the best horses come from the roughest yards! Referring back to my friends in Nebraska, the old cowboy is in his eighties and still 'sorting out' and breaking youngsters. Too look at their ranch there are no fancy stables, horses live out, 100 degrees plus in summer and 5ft snow, no rugs in winter, and they have AQHA awards coming out their ears. I wish we had the instructors, breeders and yards we did 20 plus years ago - sadly liability legislation and insurance have paid price to that. I also wish I had the confidence I had 20 years ago! Interestingly enough, in Nebraska, no one is held liable for any equine related accident!

Xander

Visit site
Does he do it if in a school situation with others, if so it may be easier to deal with there, when he does start to buck go past the other one, keep going until you can get behind again,keep repeating until he gets the message, a few sessions of this should make him re think and will help with your plans for showing him.

A valid question and suggestion.
OP - You have to remember that he is a child though, and he is still learning and pushing the boundaries. Socking him in the gob after the 'offence' will achieve very little.
I'd keep moving him forward, ignore the bucking (a lot of young horses go weeee-heee when they get out - especially in the spring). Only let him go to the front when he's behaving and praise him when he does behave.
If you let this descend in to a punch-up you will lose.

All the best.

foxy1

Visit site
Ride him forward and pull his head up sharply with one rein, if you feel unsteady hold a neckstrap with the other hand. Make sure your lower leg is well forward in defensive postion.

FoxTrotx

Visit site
No real advice but you have my sympathy.

I have a 15 year old warmblood mare who I can hack on alone and canter in open spaces without any problems what so ever. Add other horses to the mix and she becomes a nightmare. I can't have her in front because she tries to kick them but if I try and keep her behind them she bucks and rears (BIG!) and if we canter next to them with a large gap between she gallops, leaps and bucks like she does when shes playing in the field. I just try and sit defensivly and ride her through it, much to the horror/excitement of my companions/general public.

I don't know if shes trying to show dominance over the others because we go the same places on our own and shes fine.

Like I said, you have my sympathy, hopefully your boy will grow out of it.

Peegeesmum

Visit site
One of my mares could buck for England,especially when having to go behind,so what we did was work on her in the school with 3 other horses. She would be ridden in trot on the outside track & the others would ride towards her on the inside track(left to left). She would then have to stand in the middle of the school while everyone else cantered round her.

We gradually joined in with the others,going first,second & last. It helps them if you have horses coming towards them,as you can still ride yours foward,but he won't feel the need to race,or feel left behind. It worked for us.

Kitty9lives

New User
Visit site
I haven't read all the posts, but this is what I would do. I have a young horse too. Ride out alone, ride with friends. When with friends, take turns being in the front, in the middle and being behind. NO ONE roars off and leaves you EVER. That's just asking for trouble. Look after each other. If you decide to trot, you all trot quietly and at any sign of trouble, back to the walk. Then trot again. Keep mixing things up till you are both comfortable. Even if you have one good friend to do this with. Don't ever get in the situation where you are both scared or reacting. If you need to walk, everyone walks. Seriously, take the time and you will have a settled horse. Good luck.

lizijj

Visit site
Gosh! Thank you all for your replies and advice. I do put him in front as I don't want him to be nappy and as he is lazy I like to get him going forward and using his back end, but today it was a very windy ride out, and we had some deep muddy and open ground where he didn't want to go on (he is a bit of a fairy) so our other old horse went in front and we went behind. I felt his back go up and he tried to look around - his way of getting a loose rein (which he does before a buck), but I kept him going forward and calm. Today was a bit of a milestone as I hate riding in high wind (pathetic I know!), but feel great we went out and came home safe. Still frustrating that he went past pigs running right next to the path, a bus, a tractor and various blowing plastic bags no problem! Who does have the perfect horse though!?!

Kitty9lives

New User
Visit site
Sounds like you are doing fine. Just ignore his tactics and ride him firmly forward. He is learning. Be tough as in get determined and remember you are in charge. Teach him to be whereever you want him to be - it's not all about him, but he thinks it still is at this stage. But don't put yourself in danger and if you have to stop your friends to settle him, stop them. They should be really supportive at this stage of the journey. It will take time - that's how it is with youngsters.