Bucking

Nuttymanxmare

Visit site
A friend of mine has a 16.3 6yr old gelding on loan. Recently he has started bucking quite badly.

Nothing has changed in his life apart from he has been moved to another yard and is in seperate paddocks where as previously he was in a field with 5 other horses. However he can still see and touch the other horses in the neighbouring paddocks.

His bucks are not small ones either, my friend has hacked him out and he has stuck his head right down in canter and bucked like a bronco.

Now she is not a poor rider however this has knocked her quite a bit.
frown.gif

He has also bucked whilst in the indoor school in the middle of a lesson with her instructor.

He only ever bucks in canter or gallop and does it in company or on his own.

She has had his back, teeth tack checked and everything was fine and he has never had a history of bucking.

He is also ridden in a loose ring snaffle and flash noseband.

He was being fed but she has taken him off the feed to see if it was that but nothing changed.

Its a shame as ive hacked out with her and him on several occasions and he has been fantastic.

Im sure he is trying to tell us something but not sure what.

Any idea you clever peeps
confused.gif
confused.gif

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
can only put it down to the change in grazing and lifestyle then reall.y Maybe he needs lots of companions and maybe the grazing is better?
maybe he needs the release of play with the others and is dispalying his playfulleness through his work.
Dawn

Nuttymanxmare

Visit site
my first question to her was had his back been checked and I know shes' had it recently done.

I think she was also going to get the vet out to give him the once over too and try him in a field with others. (Not sure if she has yet though, will ask her)

katiejaye

Visit site
Most definately get a second opinion on his back. My last horse starting showing exactly the same symptoms in canter and gallop and after a lot of heartache and numerous tests she proved to have a dorsal spine deformity and arthritis in her hocks. I only established this after pushing for x-rays as I was convinced something was wrong as she was generally a very well natured mare.

jennystreek

Visit site
This situation seems very simular to my new mare i have bought, although she went from individual turnout to being in a herd of mares. She is more of a rearer, but has also started bucking once she comes down from rearing, so have to say it can be slightly nreve wracking, and i wouldnt class myself as a nervous rider!! I have had everything checked, but am convinced that she is still settling in and testing me out as much as she can. I am trying hard not to react to it and ride positively through it. I will be trying her on a calmer to see if that takes the edge off her