Bucking

Beckie65

Visit site
Hi all, not posted for a while but need some advice.

My pony has started to buck, had a couple of months off due to family illness.
Started about a 3 weeks ago, bucks in trot and canter, had back checked all fine, had the saddler out and he said that the saddle was a bit low on his shoulders but other than that a good fit, so a few padding adjustments done.

Now he has always been a bucker, only in excitement into canter, but this is really getting ridiculous now, had all the checks done back and saddle, and the bleeder is still doing it, im riding him forward through the bucks and trying to ignore it but its getting me down now.

Does it on both reins but mostly on the right rein really invading contact and refusing to work on this rein, then we get the bucking fit and a bronco for good measure.

Any advice welcome :)

xTrooperx

Visit site
My first pony was a bucker in trot/ canter, excitement etc... For us it was a matter of ridding through, it happen less in trot then finally nothing in trot same as canter etc.. Only used to be excitement till he retired, he was checked and tack was fine ( when tack was used ) the good old young days.

L&M

Visit site
Mine bucks because he likes it!! He goes through phases and wont buck for a few mnths, but then will start again. He will do it with or without a rider, in the fields or on the lunge, and has all relevant checks made.

If I am quick enough to anticipate it, a good growl will put him off, but if it comes out of the blue I immediately turn him sharply in a circle to stop him doing another one.

With mine it is a habit and a way of expressing himself so have tried to accept it is just part of his personality! However it is very annoying as he has done it in dressage tests and in the show ring - the frustrating thing is that he has often win these classes when not bucking! Out hunting/jumping or fun rides I just try to ignore it and kick him on, as by holding back can result in 'whoopee' moments.

If it is getting you really down I would be looking at going down the professional route and getting some help, especially if vet/saddler checks don't show anything.

Good luck as know how frustrating a habit it is x

soulfull

Visit site
could be any number of things
but my horse suddenly started doing this and I had him scoped, he has low grade ulcers. It is VERY common for them to be worse on the right rein

he doesn't show any of the girthy signs and looks the picture of health. his appietie is good

The only other thing I notice which led me to ask for him to be scoped was he does funny things with his tongue especially at feed time. and when the bit is put in he bites on it terribly until you pick up the contact

Do you ride him on a full or empty tummy

Try giving him a chaff feed 20 mins before you ride

Im wondering if the turning him away and then bringing him back has caused a bit of stress, causing ulcers