Buckminster BE- what do people think of the ground?

wispagold

Visit site
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has walked the course at Buckminster. I am meant to be doing the Novice tomorrow but so far the 2 people I have spoken to that have walked the course have both withdrawn because of the ground being so hard. I haven't got time to go all the way over there and look today.

Not sure what do to. Horse came in from the field yesterday with an eye the size of a tennis ball dispite have fly mask on so (thinking it is a sign saying don't go) hoping it will have gone down this morning! I have never had to withdraw before, she normally prefers the firmer going but she doesnt have the best legs. Mmmm decisions.

Fourlegsgood

Visit site
OG, prob see you there. You will have been finished and just waiting around for your rosette and prizes whilst I am doing my dressage in the BE100!!
Hope all goes well for you. Nick

Jul

Visit site
OG - are you going to run then? Is there any cut in the ground at all?

It's a long way for me but it looks like I'm going to have to trek all the way up there and then make a decision after dressage....

Hope your horse's eye has gone down Wispagold.

wispagold

Visit site
Hope your horse's eye has gone down Wispagold.

Thanks, it has gone down a bit, I have bathed it and put eye drops in but I have withdrawn her. It is still swollen along with the side of her face. She looks a right state, I think someone would report me to the RSPCA if I had taken her looking like she does.

From what I have heard the ground has been aerated but not watered and the going is very firm and rutted in places. Also the SJ arena has very little grass cover on it.

Good luck to everyone that goes. I thought it was a long way to go for me just to do the dressage and then decide to withdraw. Oh well, there is always another day.

Jul

Visit site
Oh that's a shame. Definitely not worth taking the risk with an eye though so good decision.
I'm am considering getting in the car now and spending the rest of my day/evening going to have a look at Buckminster! I don't mind a bit firm, but if it's very hard that's a long way to drag my horse only to turn round and come back again.

Fourlegsgood

Visit site
Oh that's a shame. Definitely not worth taking the risk with an eye though so good decision.
I'm am considering getting in the car now and spending the rest of my day/evening going to have a look at Buckminster! I don't mind a bit firm, but if it's very hard that's a long way to drag my horse only to turn round and come back again.

I only live 15 nins away so will go anyway but it would be great if you could post your ground verdict here.

skye_and_i

Visit site
The ground has been agrivated twice!! Including show jumping arena! Hence why it is cutting up and becomeing abit rutted. It is not cost effective to water and have no facilitys to do so! The decision is all yours but the organisers and officials have done everything within their power to make the going as good as possible in these difficult weather situation.

riaseed007

Visit site
I was supposed to have been running today but my pony came in from the field last night with big hole in his shoulder from being kicked, and feeling very sorry for himself :( so had to withdraw obv. Was grooming today anyway and of course the ground was hard but given the chance I would have ran but gone round slowly, the course looked great just a shame we've had no rain.
Bloomin' horses eh?! ;)

Little_Miss_1

Visit site
Was there today. They have worked very hard on the gorund. Apparently been aerovating since monday. All areas have been done including the dressage and SJ and warmups. We ran and it was fine. Obvioustly firm, but there was give and I think that they should be credited for their hard work. I would say go for it. Good luck!

I_A_P

Visit site
Thanks for everyone posting this. I am going tommorrow - never been before and it is enarly 3 hrs away. I am going to go and see how we get on....if I am not happy to go xc then I won't or if it seems ok will just go steady.

Gamebird

Visit site
Ground rode lovely, the least firm run I've had in weeks. I made a point of going to thank the organisers for all their efforts in preparation.

Jul

Visit site
I can see that they've done lots of work to improve the going. However, it's not possible to work miracles - what we needed was lots of rain!
It's a beautiful course and I'm dying to jump it but unfortunately I will be withdrawing as I don't feel that the going is suitable for my horse. Gutted though.
Good luck and enjoy to those who are going.