Buddy Sour Horse! Help?

Visit site
I have been having troubles recently with my horse, Rocket. He’s a gelding and as they often develop bro-mances with their mates, it’s become an issue. I usually take him out on hacks and in the arena with another pony, who he has become quite attached to. For example, I was trotting round the arena, and I passed this pony (who had halted with his rider) and Rocket stopped dead. I asked him to walk on and he didn’t respond at all. Not even a flick of the ear. I then told him to move and again, the same response. I stopped kicking because I knew that it wasn’t working. Then as soon as this other pony walked on, Rocket suddenly jolted into life again. This happened EVERY time I passed this pony, halted or not. The reason I don’t separate them, is because Rocket gets extremely stressed, as in non stop screaming and crashing into the fence etc, and the other pony ends up getting out of his paddock. I’m going to try and take Rocket out alone tomorrow, and see how he reacts. I always take him straight back to his pony mate, but I’m wondering if I should start putting him in a different field for good? Please note I am NOT CONSIDERING SELLING HIM OR USING SPURS so please constructive answers only! Thanks🙂

alainax

Visit site
Spurs are to refine an advanced aid, would be an odd suggestion in this scenario.

How long have you had him? What does he do when your instructor or someone advanced rides? How is he when you school him alone? Sounds like he is taking the Mick, he categorically would not be allowed to stop beside his buddy and instead focusing on his own work, a good instructor should be ale to help.

Theocat

Visit site
How much other company do they have? Are they in a herd, or are there other horses in the other fields?

Do you have lessons?

Do you carry a stick?

Visit site
I’ve had him for a year and a half, but have quite foolishly always taken him out with this pony. My instructor has never ridden him in the arena, but has taken him out on the occasional hack (with other horses) and she has never said anything about him misbehaving. The last time I tried to school him alone he became completely dead to the leg and refused to listen to me. He didn’t move a muscle. I ride with a stick and I do use it, but he acted as though it didn’t bother him in the slightest. I have spoken to my instructor but she has always said repeatedly to take him out on his own and “see what happens”. She didn’t seem bothered unfortunately.

Visit site
He is out nearly 24/7 in a field with 2 ponies, one of which is the one he is very attached to. It is usually just them in the field together, and they generally ignore any other horse presence. I stopped having regular lessons a few years back but I do have the occasional quick teaching, not on Rocket, but on the instructors horse. I carry a stick at all times, but the majority of the time Rocket completely ignores it.

Equi

Visit site
Separate them if you can. Horses are herd animals, which is ok, but if they are too bonded it can make life hell for us. My horse is in a herd and the top horse is retired so his life is "his" herd. Take one away, he screams bloody murder and it winds everyone up mostly my horse. The other day i happened to be up at the same time as another lady, so two were out of top horse herd...and flip we heard about it. He wound my horse up so much i could barely pick out his hooves and didn't bother riding - my horse is very empathetic to another horses sounds and screaming winds him up even if he doesnt know who it is. This scream went on even after i put mine back, cause top horse knows who he should have. It is a pain in the arse...him and my horse never even go near eachother this horse just thinks he rules the roost...even the horses in the other fields suffer cause if he sees a horse leave any field, hes off on one. Hes not the same in winter, nor is mine and frankly im looking forward to it cause im sick of hearing that bloody horse.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
If the other rider will co-operate you can arrange for them to 'divorce' a method used by Buck Brannaman for horses that are really attached, that call for each other and can’t concentrate when separated, . I did this with Amber at a recent Guy Robertson clinic (a student of Buck's) - in my case she was 'gate sour' not buddy sour but it's the same idea.

Have the other horse stand in the middle of the arena, and your horse is ridden around. The rider keeps the horse working when he is near his friend, and the walk breaks start to happen further and further away from his friend. He starts to associate being near the other horse with work, and being further away with rest.

Basically divide the arena in your mind in 'work zones' and 'rest zones'. The work zone is a circle around the stationary horse. The rest zone is anywhere outside that circle. Don't steer - let the horse choose where to be - but control the gait. So you are 'hustling' - trotting, marching whatever in the 'work zone' and just sitting relaxed in the rest zone. Soon your horse will discover where that line is and start resting as near to his pal as possible which is when you expand the work zone.

With me and Amber my work zone started off anywhere within 5 metres of the gate, then 10m, then 15, then 20, then half the arena and after that she forgot all about the gate. You need TIME AND PATIENCE - this can take a while. Good luck.

A much more detailed description of this can be found here:

https://www.newrider.com/threads/buck-brannaman-demo-yesterday-herd-bound-horse.245874/

In the longer term I'd move fields too. Overly attached horses are a pain!

Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
ETA I should add you are not making your horse leave his friend. That just breeds resistance or at best grudging compliance. You are trying to help your horse make his own decision that life is easier away fron the other horse! So your idea: "I'd like you over there" becomes his idea: "I think I'll just go over there". So it's importannt you don't steer. Just change the pressure depending on where the horse has chosen to go.

Visit site
I’m definitely going to try. I know what you mean, it’s honestly deafening. It just goes on and on and we even had someone enquire as to whether the horses were being chased by something. Thank you for the advice.

Visit site
Thank you! I have heard of this method before but I doubted whether it would work with them, I will give it a try on Saturday. It’s the most bloody annoying thing, trying to keep your horse fit and he just wants to be with his bud. Thanks again.

Visit site
Problem solved! I took advice and seperated them, to start with Rocket was very vocal and agitated but he got used to it. I did try Bucks method but the other pony got agitated every time we tried it, trying to chase Rocket and nearly pulling the lady holding him over. Instead I just kept taking Rocket on long (hand) walks around the local area. I also tried liberty which enforced his trust in me, to the point where he would start following me around when I got off him. I still let him with the other pony and their still good mates but I think hes over his bromance with him! Thanks for the advice, hes also a lot less lazy when hes by himself too. Thanks guys😊