Budget field maintenance tips

jm2k

Visit site
Hiya
im renting off someone who will not pay a penny to help with any maintenance let alone improvements to the fields so im after good budget tips especially cheap ways to deal with things. dont share with anyone and no big strong burly guys to help me either :'(

1. muddy areas!
i can get a digger hired cheap from a friend, not going to pay to concrete areas etc so need good ideas what to put on the ground when some of the mud and top layer been scraped away.
i do have patio slabs i have begged and borrowed over the years but need much more so i was thinking bark? was thinking of putting deep layer down over the weed fabric you can get? or would this end up getting really poached too? cant put stones down as 2 of the horses (unshod) are very hoof sore even on the slabs so chipping/stones not really an option.

2. water!
i take water every day back and fore in the big 25 litres containers, great for the muscles, agony for my back.

3. fence posts!
yep, over the 8 yrs i have been there, they are in need of replacing etc. now i can cope with the wire side of things, but replacing these posts into very rocky ground is a nightmare. used to have an elec fence - but these were nicked so not an option again!

4. anything else lol

cheers guys - your help and advice is as welcome as always :)

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
1 Muddy areas: hmmm, I think bark will very quickly mulch down into a squishy mess. You can get free hardcore - it avoids landfill tax - but you need to be careful of glass and wire. You could then hire someone with one of those heavy duty roller thingies to tamp it down and smooth it for you. You say the horses are a bit footsore, perhaps you could put turf on top - but maybe a little expensive.

2 Water: get some water butts to collect rain water and invest in an aqua roll (about £40) which holds 45 litres of water. It's a bit heavy to lift to tip into troughs but manageable if you decant into buckets first.

3 Fence posts: if you're on hard, stony ground you may have to bite the bullet here and hire someone to replace the posts, or bribe a burly mate with a pint or two!

4 I'm sure you poo pick regularly, it helps keeps weeds at bay and your grazing sweet.

jm2k

Visit site
1. didnt think about that with bark! i have some dim moments ai, lol.
2. have a big water container for rain but 3 horses make sure it lasts no time what-so-ever :/
3. the guys in my area are too damn lazy and there is no such thing as a 'hobble' anymore, they all want paying full price! gone are the days of favours and cheap labour.
4 - i love the poo, esp from my 18.2hh+ MW , its more like a baby ele poo lol :)

RunRunReindeer

Visit site
Sounds like you've got your work cut out ;)
My hubby used his digger scraped the top muddy layer off our ground near field gate and we were left with some lovely sandy/gravelly stuff that had been underneath - you might find something similar when you scrape?
If you do put down hardcore or similar, your digger driver should be able to tamp it down with the digger.
What about sheep hurdles for fencing, or you can get heavyweight rubber feet that you can hammer wooden posts into - although neither of these might be suitable if the field is otherwise very insecure (ie. no other permanent fencing between horse/s and road etc).
Good luck!

jm2k

Visit site
good idea with bark on top of chip, and getting my digger to stamp the chip down - thanks :)

defo need more secure fencing, even though its safe and quiet down there, half the fields go onto the lane.

its a fab place, but needs loads of work. but i detest investing my money in to line a rich mans pockets even further! the previous tenent built stables concrete half way, then timber top and cut the top half off when leaving so only the blockwork remained! think they had the same issues as me lol.

skye_and_i

Visit site
what area are you in?

muddy gate ways, dig off mud, line with old carpet (marquee company's cant give it away fast enough and it better/harder wearing than taram! then back fill with road planning as they small they shouldnt hurt feet and over time they bind together really well.

while digger is there and as long as good driver then push/knock posts in with it!

water, if you have sheds with guttering ect then get a couple of ibc (big water containers, on ebay) they'll hold far more water.

jm2k

Visit site
just west of Cardiff.

would never have thought of carpet at all. even better if its FREE :D

guess i need to book the digger and man for a long day work then get everything done at once lol.
i have one water container, its a godsend but defo need more.

thanks loads, some great suggestions and ideas coming my way :)

nikCscott

Visit site
Make sure you book the digger on a 'job' rate rather than a 'day' rate this will stop any dawdeling (sp?), labour yourself placing fence posts out ready, rails can be secured with twine first before nailing into place as hard to hold inplace when you're on your own.

Carpet sounds like a fab idea and can be layered too.

Good luck

jm2k

Visit site
watch this space about carpets. my mother lives nest door to a carpet fitter so she is going to ask him about old carpets he takes up!!

twine is brilliant idea, i always struggle one-handed (very blonde moments recently!!) - its being put to practice tomorrow!!

going to get my shopping list ready tomz with how many posts i need and book the digger - defo on job rate, thanks for that as well.

skye_and_i

Visit site
on the carpet front, the more man made the fibres the better! as said, the stuff they use in marquee's that they use a couple of times and then throw away, its very hard wearing and costs them money to dispose of. I use it on my xc courses where i need to stop stone and mud mixing i.e in water jumps ect.

For you fenceing, rails will work out expensive, would be cheaper to use, say 3 inch rustic posts (cheaper than machined rounded) then attach the electric fence tabe to them with insolaters. will make a more versatile fence and much quicker to erect.

Eventer96

twitter.com
dont share with anyone and no big strong burly guys to help me either :'(

Solutions:

1) Get your hands on a big, strong (preferably scrummy) young man.
2) Make sure this man will slave for you all day.
3) Ensure he is willing to treat you and pay for anything that needs doing!

I am completely useless when it comes to sensible answers so only really posted for the 'tongue in cheek' response. :p:eek:

I'd take the advice from skye_and_i. We can tell who the cross country course builder is! ;)

Hope you find something that is cheap and effective. Do let us know how you get on. :)