Budget for Nov Eventer

One More

Visit site
Hi all,
Could I just ask your opinion on what would be a sensible budget for a Novice Event horse. Looking for something that's done a few novices with decent results, and would have the ability to go intermediate - roughly what would you think as a price?

I have found something I like, but in my mind it's a good few thousand 'cheaper' than what I was expecting to pay, might just be a good deal, but it's making me suspicious.

Thank you :)

becca1305

Visit site
I'd expect to pay £20k+ and see advertised for £23k+ if it has good Nov results, is a good age, has no offputting quirks/ habits or previous/ existing health issues/ complications, and appears to have definite Int potential.

One More

Visit site
Thank you - both bang on what I had in mind, I was expecting around the 25k mark. Think I shall carry on searching :)

Gamebird

Visit site
I wouldn't discount a cheaper horse out of hand. There may be a genuine reason for the price - no jockey, bought new horse and old one has to go, lost their job, pregnant - any of these or many other reasons could mean that the vendor has set a realistic price in the expectation of a quick sale. They may also have a different idea of value to you or have been badly advised about what their horse is worth!

I've seen a couple of horses similar to what you want going for around £15k recently. Although I think the market IS recovering a little people may still be pricing conservatively. Unless the horse is £2500 I'd reckon it's still worth a phonecall, just try to find out if there is a reason.

glamourpuss

Visit site
I'd never discount a horse for being too cheap!!
Have a nosey at it's BE record, that could give you some idea why it's a bit cheaper (not reliable SJ, not strong dressage, periods with no results due to injury or no rider)
A frank conversation with the owner I.e 'if you don't mind me saying this horse is a bit cheaper than others I've looked at is there a reason for this?'....it could just be they need the cash & quickly!
Thirdly go & look with your own eyes. What someone considers a major problem could be no issue to you.

khalswitz

Visit site
I'd never discount a horse for being too cheap!!
Have a nosey at it's BE record, that could give you some idea why it's a bit cheaper (not reliable SJ, not strong dressage, periods with no results due to injury or no rider)
A frank conversation with the owner I.e 'if you don't mind me saying this horse is a bit cheaper than others I've looked at is there a reason for this?'....it could just be they need the cash & quickly!
Thirdly go & look with your own eyes. What someone considers a major problem could be no issue to you.

This! Go and look still if it sounds good! You'll soon know if there's a reason for the price drop...

Fides

Visit site
My friend sold her eventer who had just gone intermediate for £30k so 20-25 sounds about right. I'll ask around for you if you like? Some sell without being advertised...

sportsmansB

Visit site
Quite often it is the potential to go on which will limit the price of a horse like this... If it doesn't have a fab step and is comfortable at Nov without maybe the scope or speed to go on, £12-15k is prob fair...Or if 10 or older
A competitive horse with a good step, decent SJ and the ability and speed for Int aged 9 or under £25k ish...
Though again you never know the reason for selling and some people just need to get rid fairly quickly (or can't ride it that well and can't afford schooling/sales livery so take a few quid less knowing that to get it going better is gonna cost them £1k/month anyway)

TarrSteps

Visit site
I wouldn't discount a cheaper horse out of hand. There may be a genuine reason for the price - no jockey, bought new horse and old one has to go, lost their job, pregnant - any of these or many other reasons could mean that the vendor has set a realistic price in the expectation of a quick sale. They may also have a different idea of value to you or have been badly advised about what their horse is worth!

I've seen a couple of horses similar to what you want going for around £15k recently. Although I think the market IS recovering a little people may still be pricing conservatively. Unless the horse is £2500 I'd reckon it's still worth a phonecall, just try to find out if there is a reason.

This. There could very well be extenuating circumstances or something that takes the horse out of top value but won't bother you particularly. Always worth a phone call.

One More

Visit site
thank you Fides, that would be very kind. I'm well aware of how many horses change hands without ever having hit the market!

Of course I will call! Partly why my suspicions are so high is because BE record is very good, some good novice results and horse has already been out this year and done a nov, with a good result. Does seem to constantly have a few time faults but this isn't a massive problem for me - my horse is out for the season so looking for something comfortable with novice that is fit and ready to go!
Thank you all - very helpful :)

TarrSteps

Visit site
If the horse is that successful odds are its connections know the market, will have a good reason for the price and will expect to have to disclose it up front.

Good luck with your search.

ihatework

Visit site
thank you Fides, that would be very kind. I'm well aware of how many horses change hands without ever having hit the market!

Of course I will call! Partly why my suspicions are so high is because BE record is very good, some good novice results and horse has already been out this year and done a nov, with a good result. Does seem to constantly have a few time faults but this isn't a massive problem for me - my horse is out for the season so looking for something comfortable with novice that is fit and ready to go!
Thank you all - very helpful :)

Always worth a phone call.
It could well have an if/but about it, doesn't mean it might not do the job for you.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
So many factors to consider. I must admit I am having difficulties from the other end trying to value my Novice / Intermediate eventer. Age is against her (12) but decent record schoolmaster at Novice ability to go on and a sensible horse and ability to do pure dressage. I have asked a number of people I trust and estimates have ranged by comfortably 10k! The price may very much depend on how much people need to sell!

Ignore the price and assess against your criteria.

TarrSteps

Visit site
So many factors to consider. I must admit I am having difficulties from the other end trying to value my Novice / Intermediate eventer. Age is against her (12) but decent record schoolmaster at Novice ability to go on and a sensible horse and ability to do pure dressage. I have asked a number of people I trust and estimates have ranged by comfortably 10k! The price may very much depend on how much people need to sell!

Ignore the price and assess against your criteria.

I think at that level, it also depends a bit on who is selling it. ;) An agent with an international market and a list of big ticket horses to sell will probably price a bit higher than the average personal seller as they will simply have more people with more to spend coming through the door, as it were. Doesn't make the horse any more or less worth it, but it has been my experience.

(For the record, I don't think it's even unfair. Part of what people are paying for at that end is one stop shopping and the fact that the horse has already been assessed. It's like paying a matchmaker rather than just going out on the town and doing your own leg work.)

Darremi

Visit site
If it is consistently getting time faults at Novice maybe you need to be a little cautious. A less experienced horse may well be taking it steady.

But a horse who has done 2+ seasons of novice and still with tfs may have an underlying issue. A wind problem for example. Or simply not fast enough, which will be even more of an issue if you try and step up to Intermediate.

Just something to think about.