Budget/homemade jumps!

strides-eventing

Visit site
Anyone have any experience of making their own jumps, rustic/xc and show jump types?!

Or know of any mega bargains? :)

Just wondering how I could possibly make some or where I could get some material on budget?

Lolo

Visit site
My dad made me and my sister jump stands when we were little with tyres and 2 by 4 wood.

He cut the wood to the right length (about 5'), and then drilled holes at 3" intervals down it with a big drill bit- used bought cups to make sure they were in the right place and the right size holes.

Then, line the tyre with some tarpaulin, filled it with Quikrete and plonked the wood in. Made me/ my sister stand and hold it while it set for an hour :D

They lasted ages and ages (a good 6 years!), outside in all weathers. They were heavy, but because of the circular base we could roll them really easily to move them.

EllieandGeorge

Visit site
Cement trays make really good working hunter style water trays, Blue tarpaulin for sj style ones!
I'd you have any thinish logs, chop them up making the sections of log the height you want to jump, and saw a groove in the top (like cutting out a triangle of the flat surface) and then you can rest poles over them, good for making xc style jumps. You can obviously make tire jumps as well, just hang loads of tires over a pole and hang either end on crates/tires.
You can get jump cup hangers that hang on barrels and aren't too expensive, or if you have plastic barrels you can do the same as with the logs and cut a groove out of them.
We also have a load of crates that stack up, and tons of little wooden blocks with grooves out of them for poles to sit on. Pile up the crates and put the pole holders on top! I don't like using just crates or tires as the poles fall off all the time