Budweiser Clydesdale incident (happy outcome)

PollyP99

Visit site

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Wow, what clever, well trained horses for staying still, I did feel sorry for the one with his bum in the air :D

I also liked the dog running along the top of the cart (or whatever its called) :)

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Amazing trust between the horses and the handlers, along with the calm nature of the Clydesdales. Fantastic to watch and highlights how important developing a bond with your horse is. All horses can be taught not to panic if they get stuck, its a life saver.

PollyP99

Visit site
Amazing trust between the horses and the handlers, along with the calm nature of the Clydesdales. Fantastic to watch and highlights how important developing a bond with your horse is. All horses can be taught not to panic if they get stuck, its a life saver.

Very true, my old section d got stuck in a group of trees, he climbed in over a fallen branch only to find himself then unable to reverse back over it and pretty much pinned in. We couldn't find him and thought he'd got out or worse, then oh hears him, finds him just standing waiting to be saved! Now my current d would freak, she panics if even the slightest thing seems caught up, so how do I teach her not to flip?

sula

Visit site
That was just amazing to watch - actually made me cry because those horses were so trusting and lovely! I enjoyed the commentary and felt his voice helped calm the situation in the crowd. Thanks for posting the link!

My daft old boy once got himself wedged between a brick wall, a fence and a thick hawthorn hedge (he must have seen a fat blade of grass in there). The other livery couldn`t persuade him to back out so he stood there, patiently, for over an hour until I arrived to take a fence down after which he calmly walked out - and continued grazing!

Montyforever

Visit site
Amazing horses! But ill be honest I've always thought that many horses is an accident waiting to happen .. Only takes one horse/person to make a mistake to cause a chain reaction!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Very true, my old section d got stuck in a group of trees, he climbed in over a fallen branch only to find himself then unable to reverse back over it and pretty much pinned in. We couldn't find him and thought he'd got out or worse, then oh hears him, finds him just standing waiting to be saved! Now my current d would freak, she panics if even the slightest thing seems caught up, so how do I teach her not to flip?

Like people horses have characters of their own, and establishing a good bond, like the trainers in the video, helps, but I remember reading about one of the American trainers who said they always teach the ranch horses to stand still if they get their legs trapped. They desensitize them to the sensation of ropes around the legs and then work away at getting them used to standing still if their legs are caught up.
I did this with a bright fun loving filly. One day, she put a hoof through a wooden pallet and was caught fast. If she had panicked, she'd have ripped her leg open, but she stood stock still and waited for me to break the wood around her foot. I managed to release her foot without a scratch.

suffolkmare

Visit site
That was just amazing to watch - actually made me cry because those horses were so trusting and lovely! I enjoyed the commentary and felt his voice helped calm the situation in the crowd.

Agree. The commentator did well, kept doing his job and also kept the spectators calm. So glad they all walked off, and noticed the two that remained hitched up were able to take the dray out ok.