Bugger - Bonnie got kicked....

bandit

Visit site
not great - arrived at yard last night to be told my horse had been kicked in the field but she wasn't lame.

ran down to get her - she's in the 'mares' field so in all about 6 horses together... only to find she's been skinned on her thights on both legs, looks like classic back to back double barrel scenario... he was not happy, and her near hind obviously really quite sore. also on the tendon above the hock htere is a small nick which was slightly swollen...

all in all gutted for her as she doesn't get herself into trouble, but i turned her out for the night on her own to minimise any swelling that may happen, and gave her some bute.

she was perkier this morning, but again she's going to be out until tomorrow and i'll see how she is.

all very typical with my first show scheduled for sunday. one girl at the yard who's v knowledgeable said it did actually look worse than it was, just alot of bruising mainly... just have to keep my eye on the nick over the tendon...

it brought me to tears seeing her last night - and i was meant to go out for dinner but couldn't - didn't feel like being sociable...

Bxx

juliehannah58

Visit site
Oh no, poor Bonnie
frown.gif

My horse managed to disform her shoe last night, horses eh? I'm sure she'll be fine, you might even get to your event!

Chin up
smile.gif

J
x

Cobnut1

Visit site
If you can, get some Arnica tablets 200 strength from a hebalist shop....give her two, then 1 tablet twice a day every day.... for the first few days, then cut down to 1 a day...this will help the bruising.

So sorry to hear of this.

Arnica is great for any type of bruising, even for people!!!

juliehannah58

Visit site
My old pony got double barrelled through her back legs and skinned the inside of both her thighs, she needed stitches in hers but was back hoping over the fencing (grr!) within 2 days, complete with NZ Rug! Vet said you're unlikely to get a serious injury in that area as there's not much there to get damaged easily. With the tendon kick, as long as she is sound and theres not much swelling, I'd just keep it clean and should be fine.

Good luck, hope she recovers soon!
smile.gif

bandit

Visit site
oh Cheers -

she doesn't look like she needs stiches otherwise i'd have had the vet last night.. also - she is sound at hte mo but there again she's on bute. i'll give her one more in her dinner tonight and then by tmorrow afternoon i should see if she's sound without the bute....

Cobnut1

Visit site
Thanks...had forgotten to add that piece of vital info.....

Most tablets are just plain white tablets and the herbalist makes the strength up themselves, so the plain white tabs are coated in the arnica, if you handle them the stuff will stick to your hand and the horse won't get anything!!

If you get them froma chemist, they are already made up and are ok to handle.

suggest you put table onto a pice of apple for them, then feed from hand to horse.

_jetset_

Visit site
Don't you just hate horses some times... it's a shame we can't wrap them in cotton wool when they go out, LOL! That image has really made me chuckle...

Seriously though, I hope your mare is ok. It's awful when they get kicked in the field and no matter how much you know they have to get a pecking order sorted, it still doesn't make it any easier when it's your horse getting kicked.

S_N

Visit site
God that really sucks! I do hope she heals quickly and you get to go to your show on Sunday! I 2nd (3rd) the Arnica tablets! Also try some aloe vera on her wounds - fantastic stuff!

happyhack

Visit site
put some vaseline over the skinned parts-it encourages hair regrowth and some st johns wort oil will reduce any swelling or bruising!
I can guarantee it will work!!
our 16.2hh ID got kicked by a 15.1hh shire x arab the other week and you cant tell at all now!1

OWLIE185

Visit site
With any kick you really should get the vet in to check the horse over as you can never tell if their is any damage to the underlying structures such as the bones.

I should know - mine was kicked without any severe external injury and she had a fractured bone in her hock.