Bugger - New horse may be broken

bandit

Visit site
hi guys

rushed to write this as at work and been out of office for a while for vet to visit, but here is the update on my new mare Bonnie...

She's been footsore on her near fore for a week or so, and some may have seen i had a 2nd farrier come out and look at her on friday - well, just had the vet out to her as farrier did suggest i should. vet doesn't suspect absess as there isn't one specific sore spot, it's tender all around the frog to the front of the hoof - not on the edge or by heals...

so - the 3 options he's given me are:

Fracture to Pedal Bone
Laminitus
Bruising...

The gutting thing is that i'm going ot have to have her x-rayed, and although she did get vetted - the vet noted splayed front feet so of course they are totally excluded... great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So = hugs please for me, and lots of prayers that my new horse mends and it is only a bruise...

Bugger.....

Bxxx

Tia

Visit site
Awwww no!!!! What a real shame. I have fingers tightly crossed that it is something and nothing.........
frown.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
I dont know what to say mate, i am so gutted for you.

vets have to give you the worse possible senario so fingers crossed its just bruising.

I really would of thought she would of been lame from the start if it was a fracture but she was just footsore??

And isn't laminitus usually in both front feet?? (never had a horse with it though so dont know for sure)

I have sent you a text anyway as i am leaving work now

Big hugs
frown.gif

Alibear

Visit site
oh bugger what a complete sod. Here's hoping it an unsual absess or bruising (bruising can be a bit of a bugger to deal with I'm afraid).

Hope it's all easil and cheeply solveable. Have my fingers crossed for you.

bandit

Visit site
yeah - my last TB had bruising and corns and it was hard to manage..

it is the best option for her, and me... can't believe it is happening to me.. not sure how my luck could get worse but i am sure it can. seems nothing can go even slightly right for me at hte mo...

air78

www.ctwequine.com
I'm so sorry you- and will hoping it's nothing serious and mare is on the mend quickly.
I'll also ask my friend to say a little prayer for bonnie- she keeps telling me she's on good terms with God at the moment(she saw Popey in rome on her hols last month)!
grin.gif

Alibear

Visit site
just to say that abseccess can fool even the best vets, my old mare ended up at rossdales in newmarket with almost certain stringhalf (my vet wanted to put her down and was annoyed when I got her refered) she didn't react to hoof testers and had been lame to varying degrees for about 6 weeks. Turned out to be an absesss.

So I shall keep my fingers crossed for you.

Farm Kat

Visit site
Yeah they can get Lami in one foot only.

My boy went slightly off for 2 days once, after shoeing, just a bit hoppy when jumping, no heat, no wounds etc, he'd pratted about that time, and it was only when the farrier came out a few weeks later and removed the shoe a tiny hole appeared, under (ish) the shoe, on the white line, it was an abcess thast had flared up, gone un noticed and burst out, he'd been sound apart from these 2 days, even on the hard ground we had in the summer. he's a tough little sod, on the other hand, Dad's looked like he was at death's door, and the vet diagnosed a broken leg, Pedal bone, or fetlock as it had swollen overnight, he wanted to take xrays and we had to wait until later that day to get the portable one out, he was fully splinted, he actually had an abcess, diagnosed by the vet that came out with the portable X ray machine!

So fingers crossed for you.

mrgoop

Visit site
Poor you, and poor neddy. Fingers crossed for you that it's nothing serious and it gets sorted and heals quickly. Nothing worse than not knowing. Keep us posted

BBs

Visit site
Oh buggeration indeed!!

Hugs! youre not having a great week!!!

Well, heres hoping its brusing, however, if very deep seated could take months
frown.gif
however, surely thats better than a fracture?

Winston has bad brusing in his front feet this season, tubbing and bran poultices really helped! plus box rest
smile.gif
now hes as sound as a pound.

Perhaps talking to your farrier regarding leather pads?

I know Im talking that its a bruise, and I am hoping, and trying to stay more positive for you
smile.gif

Keep us posted hun! (((hugs)))

debonhorse

Visit site
thinking of you in this stressful time, and big hugs for horsey too, bless! keep us informed of what happens. I am in similar boat myself at the mo.!

bandit

Visit site
morning - well she's gobbling up her bute and is fine in herself at the mo.

I am going to speak to farrier and relay to him what the vet has said and see what he thinks - farrier was already going to re-shoe with pads as he soles are paper thin and as we're all hoping this incident is bruising -then pads will help.

it's just a sh*tty old time for me right now and i do really want positive news for my poor mare.

spoken to quite a few people about this, and most say they've had similar situations where TB feet have led to bruising and it does take a while but that it does get better - fingers crossed...

Bx