Building 3.5Tonne Horsebox!! What to include?

myottbmay

New User
Visit site
Hi all,

this is my first posting on H&H so apologies if its in the wrong place.

I am looking to get a 3.5 Tonne box built for me and my mare to get us out competing.
She's not the best traveller and seems to get worried in small spaces (she's not had the best experiences travelling), loading isn't a problem but securing her in the box worries her!

I am looking for advice on what extras to add to the box? deeper partition, rubber skirts, lights, full grills are just a few, this will be the first time I've owned a 3.5tonne box to any advice on making life easier for me and my horse and any extras you added or wish you added or can't live without, please let me know!

Thanks in advance :)

Spottyappy

Visit site
Extra windows, vents, fans. Electric fan to pull hot air out, which has been vitally important with the recent hot weather. I wish I could have afforded air con for the horse area too.
just be aware though, every extra adds weight and if you loose too much payload (even though you are only travelling one horse I assume), it can be an issue when you come to sell.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
What SA said ^^^

Definitely something so the horse can't go over the breast bar.

My wee 3.5t will, I've decided, only ever carry one (or maybe two Sh!tlands!), so I'll be having some mods made to it along the lines of what SA has listed.

L&M

Visit site
A collapsable breast bar or anti jump grill, and extra wide rear jockey door, so in an emergency a horse can be unloaded that way too - the one advantage of a van conversion rather than a coach built as has double back doors.

willowblack

Visit site
I have recently bought a Boss and love it. One of my main things was that it was closed off so as no popping over the breast bar was going to happen. It’s basically all boxed in with checker plate which is great for storage underneath for stay away shows etc.

My daughter would say external tack lockers and a shower are her favourite things on it.

Bernster

Visit site
Agree I’d browse as many as you can to see the options, and try your horse in one with a similar set up in the horse area.

Id agree lots of ventilation in the horse area and maybe a fan if possible, but that’s cos it’s hot right now.

I love the fully moveable partition so I can open it right up or angle it as needed. That might help if yours needs space.

Def one that’s enclosed and they can’t hop over the breast bar not that I’ve had any horse look slightly tempted to do that.

Plenty of storage.

But watch your payload in a 3.5t as most wont take 2 big horses even with a basic build.

oldie48

Visit site
If your horse is claustrophobic I'd avoid a solid wall and opt for an anti jump grill instead as it definitely makes the inside feel bigger and lighter (hay gets into the back though!) I find the external tack locker really useful. I don't have a partition which can be moved easily and wish I could. It would be great to be able to slide it across so I could tack up inside the lorry more easily. I also dont have parking sensors, which I'd like having backed into a concrete mushroom a couple of weeks ago!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I have a movable partition. I leave it over the far side as only ever carry one as a rule, just leave it in jic.

Get your cameras, etc., hardwired in during the build, but accessible.

Internal lights.

A barrier of some sort to stop anything falling out of the over cab storage.

I'm looking to have some sort of internal barrier to help keep the horse in when the ramp is going up / coming down. I've not fully thought it through yet.

Double catch lock thing on the jockey for if you have a chest barrier, not just a little catch.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I think it would be a good idea to test her first, I love my litte 3.5 van but I have a 14.2 and he travels with no bother. I would agree though that a grill to stop her jumping over would be less claustrophibic than a solid wall. As I only ever travel one we have fitted a small kitchen area in the grooms bit, cupboards and a sink with a portable hob. Ive put a cargo net over the Luton to stop stuff falling out. The biggest issue is hay getting into the back but I prefer that to the smaller area you have left if you put a solid wall in.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
think FC's box was quite a bit bigger than 3.5t.

I found my coachbuilt one as roomy as the 7.5t for the horse tbh. I added a window sort of above the horses's quarters which significantly increased air flow, most boxes had windows towards the head end only when I was looking.
I wished mine had an external tack locker. Climbing in and out with the saddle etc was irritating.
Friend has one with a moveable partition and it seems like a really useful addition.

what else you might decide to add will depend on your payload I think.

lottiepony

Visit site
Echo those who have said about trying her in some 3.5t boxes first. I only ever got my old horse into a lorry around 4 times in her life - not for lack of trying! Trailer was her preferred choice of travel and even then it had to be a certain make lol!!

Ventilation is super important as well as light. Might even be worth contacting some of the transport companies that use small boxes as imagine they could give some useful feedback on what makes a good box.

BBP

Visit site
I’m now really wary of bars/grills having seen a horse rear up and try to climb over the partition, getting its leg (technically it’s shoe) trapped in the grill and stuck at human shoulder height. I would prefer solid now.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Whatever you get built, try to hire an almost identical box a few times to take her around in 1st.
You dont want an expensive mistake!
This! There are various companies that hire out 3.5t boxes, try a few and see how you and your horse get on.

And for a build, watch the weight very carefully, especially if you add fancy extras, You don‘t want to drive your new box to the weigh bridge and find that you have a 600kg payload. Unless you only intend to travel a Shetland.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I’m now really wary of bars/grills having seen a horse rear up and try to climb over the partition, getting its leg (technically it’s shoe) trapped in the grill and stuck at human shoulder height. I would prefer solid now.
yes, it was fear of this that led to me having a solid barrier. mine was added on to the 4 foot wall and was a good compromise to a proper stallion box, still had plenty of space in the back and also stopped all the hay getting through, and i never had any fear of anything seeing the rear of the box as an exit.