Building a roundpen.,,,,,,,Advice please

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Hi we want to build a roundpen at our summer grazing paddock and would welcome advice on size and any general tips about how to build it please.

It will only be used during the summer months so I doubt we will bother putting down any surface and if we do maybe some bark to stop the grass growing up.

We have 3" round posts (7' lengths and rails).. Thank-you

horselover68

Visit site
If you do a google search it should throw back some useful ideas - also search under Lewis Blackburn's website as he has instructions on there - I think you may have to trawl through some of his published articles!

Enfys

Visit site
Yes, make it as big as you possibly can:)

My panel pen is 65' and just about big enough, any smaller and it isn't worth it.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Thanks for that Enfys - I originally thought 20 metres diameter. Then on the web it said that the average was 60ft which surprised me and it said they can be anything from 50 - 100ft. So I really need to measure what the maximum size is we can build on the flat part of our paddock - I have source bark chip to use as a cheap surface. We are only on that field in the summer anyway.
What distance apart do you think we need to put the posts? We were tinking every 6ft? Thanks