Building a website

Tempi

Visit site
I am a complete technofobe when it comes to things like building a website, I have no idea where to start (apart from i've done some googling and found some 'build a website step-by-step pages etc).

Can anyone direct me please as to what is best, cheapest, and idiot proof? Doesnt need to be anything flashy (for the moment!) just something professional that I can put my services on, things about me and the horses, sponsors, horses for sale etc.

I dont have much money so I cant really afford to pay someone to do it for me, and to be honest I would rather do it all myself anyway (if I can!). I understand i probably have to pay a monthly fee? Or are there free websites about the please?

Thank you in advance everyone :)

(Not strictly comp riders, but is sort of, lol!)

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Www.asmallorange.com their tiny plan plus domain will set you back $35 for the year as they currently offering a free domain.

Once purchased in the control panel install Wordpress which is very simple as it does the hard work for you and then personalise as required with various free templates which are very easily installed.

For example www.eventridersassociation.org.uk is Wordpress based as are my two sites in my sig. Although essentially blog software it is easily adaptable to non blog sites by using just pages instead of blog posts

Tempi

Visit site
Have Facebooked you :)

Had great fun building mine, became quite addictive!

Super thank you, just got it :) x

Www.asmallorange.com their tiny plan plus domain will set you back $35 for the year as they currently offering a free domain.

Once purchased in the control panel install Wordpress which is very simple as it does the hard work for you and then personalise as required with various free templates which are very easily installed.

For example www.eventridersassociation.org.uk is Wordpress based as are my two sites in my sig. Although essentially blog software it is easily adaptable to non blog sites by using just pages instead of blog posts

Great, thank you :)

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Ps don't use 1&1 for hosting as their cheap packages don't include several essentials in terms of databases and php functionality. I use 1&1 for my domains and asmallorange for my hosting but as asmallorange are offering free domains I would personally suggest they would be simplest and prob cheapest.

measles

Visit site
Our website is entirely built by my OH and not very technical me and easy to update. I'm not sure how much it is per year but a very small amount. We also used free templates and worked it up from there. If you want more info let me know and I'll find out.

Tempi

Visit site
Our website is entirely built by my OH and not very technical me and easy to update. I'm not sure how much it is per year but a very small amount. We also used free templates and worked it up from there. If you want more info let me know and I'll find out.

That would be great if you do have any more information? I'm looking at suggestions at the moment and still really have no idea what i'm doing or what i need to be looking for!

Polotash

Visit site
Yes, I was recommended a very easy one by a friend. It's MrSite.com and it costs £40 a year for the first year and £4 a month thereafter. That includes the domain name so no extra costs at all.

I've done 3 using this now, all different designs and all look good (no bells or whistles, but professional looking enough!). You can add shops and forums very easily if you need to.

You set it to have say 10 pages, and then you just click "edit page" and type into a box, just as if you're in Word. You upload pictures like you would to photobucket etc, and then just click to add them into your page. Very simple! (I'm also technophobe).

They also have a 24 hour "Live chat" button where you instant message your query and one of their experts immediately chats with you whilst you sort it out (free).

My friends is www.natashafraser.co.uk (jewellery) and mine are www.cornwallredsquirrels.co.uk and www.stfrancisnewquay.org.uk if you want a quick look.

Spanish Eyes

Visit site
Good grief, how spooky - I had just come here to post exactly the same question, as I too am in the same position (another technophobe here:confused::confused::confused:)

OH had a professional done one and it looks great, but was too costly for me, so I'm looking to DIY.

Will follow this with interest.

Botters

Visit site
It depends what you need it for, what services you need etc. but I have a free one with Weebly.com

Was really easy to do, page by page. Its nothing flashy but you can easily update it anytime

squiz22

Visit site
I set up a website a while ago. The link is below so feel free to have a look.

The host is hostgator which is really simple and cheap. Its about a fiver a month and its direct debit. The website was free and I used wordpress which I think is really good. Its widely uised so there are lots of plugins available to help you make the website more advanced if you wish.

Wordpress is very easy to use and I got the hang of it very quickly! If you want any further pointers on it I'm happy to help.

Mildred

Visit site
I had mine built professionally as I am an idiot and would not know where to start, but I think the people who built mine had an offer on a really cheap deal for hosting and building a website for very little money - less than £50. They are based in Salisbury - may be worth a call to them (although I can't find their deal now, Im convinced they had one). Their website is www.emailitis.com and the site they built for me is www.sportingart.co which is a wordpress based one and very easy to manage - Im useless and I can successfully upload stuff to mine.

Vetwrap

Visit site
Have a look at Moonfruit. I have build several for people using that, and the cost of purchasing the domain name and hosting the site for two years is around £15.00.

They have loads of templates and it is an easy "drag and drop" construction.

The finished article looks very professional as well and there is a very helpful forum within their site, in case you get stuck.

bananas_22

Visit site
I am starting to wonder whether I am schizophrenic without realising it....I came on here the other day to post about long coats to find your post Tempi at the top of the page. I have just come on here again to ask about building websites and here you are again! Very spooky. Thanks for being my personal Ask Jeeves though ;)

abb123

Visit site
I have a wordpress site. Very easy to modify and add things to. For example, I have a twitter stream on mine and have all the social networking links. Mine was a bit complicated to set up as it was existing already but I think it is very easy to set up from scratch. If you are not bothered about the address including wordpress in it then I think it is free? Mine is a science one (www.pore-behaviour.co.uk) but it was super easy to set up and use. I am obsessed with updating it though!

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Abb123 as a side note you may want to check your website template as when viewed from a mobile it becomes a bit skewed so doesn't seem to currently be 'mobile friendly'

And yes if you don't mind Wordpress in the address then it's free via the Wordpress site.

And for help $35 currently equals £21.60 ish!

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Ps don't use 1&1 for hosting as their cheap packages don't include several essentials in terms of databases and php functionality. I use 1&1 for my domains and asmallorange for my hosting but as asmallorange are offering free domains I would personally suggest they would be simplest and prob cheapest.

They were my only personal experience and did what I needed. :)

Polotash

Visit site
I had mine built professionally as I am an idiot and would not know where to start, but I think the people who built mine had an offer on a really cheap deal for hosting and building a website for very little money - less than £50. They are based in Salisbury - may be worth a call to them (although I can't find their deal now, Im convinced they had one). Their website is www.emailitis.com and the site they built for me is www.sportingart.co which is a wordpress based one and very easy to manage - Im useless and I can successfully upload stuff to mine.

Off topic but your paintings are just STUNNING. Must save up for one ;0)

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Sorry I'm not saying they don't provide a decent service but to those who have more technical requirements which may just be a specific Wordpress plugin then these may not work which a friend found out to her disappointed too late and she was then stuck with them for a year as it was too late to cancel ;)

abb123

Visit site
Abb123 as a side note you may want to check your website template as when viewed from a mobile it becomes a bit skewed so doesn't seem to currently be 'mobile friendly'

And yes if you don't mind Wordpress in the address then it's free via the Wordpress site.

And for help $35 currently equals £21.60 ish!

I'm actually amazed anyone is looking at it! Yey! I'll be spending the next half an hour obsessing over the site stats....

Thanks for the heads up though. It is certainly not optimised in anyway shape or form. I have no idea how to do that and was just pleased to have a website with fancy bits. I willl get my more website savvy boyf to look at it though.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Yep 100s if note 1000s of free themes which if you are techy savvy (or know your HTML and CSS coding ;) ) you can edit yourself but a lot have theme options built in which allow you to personalise without coding knowledge.

I have about 4 or 5 themes that I have personalised/edited etc which I switch between for my personal website depending on how I am feeling. :)