Building an XC training facility

Quadro

Visit site
We are in the process of buying some land (yay!), and will be able to but in an XC training facility. I was hoping it to be a schooling type field, not a full course, and would hire it out to private indivduals, pony clubs, riding clubs, etc for schooling. I have access to unlimited free timber which helps, and landscaping contractors. So I was wondering what people would like to see put in the most? TIA

ihatework

Visit site
Having just had the soggiest winter and now bone dry hard summer, I would kill for allweather tracks!

TheMule

Visit site
I totally agree- all weather tracks would be a fantastic investment and would allow you to remain open year round.
Apart from that you need a nice selection of obstacles, it's probably worth considering what is catered for in the surrounding area. PC/RC/ Grassroots is always going to be your most regular user so probably safest to provide a good selection 70cm- 1m

Quadro

Visit site
Not sure budget will stretch to all weather, although I do want gallops!! Is the grassroots that I would be aiming for, are steps, ditches, combinations etc wanted? Or are they too much for that level?

TheMule

Visit site
Definitely steps, ditches, water with plenty of different options and options for progression- you want people to come back and build on confidence rather than to feel that they've achieved everything in one go

ihatework

Visit site
Not sure budget will stretch to all weather, although I do want gallops!! Is the grassroots that I would be aiming for, are steps, ditches, combinations etc wanted? Or are they too much for that level?

You definitely want all of those, ideally with at least 3 levels of difficulty.

SEL

Visit site
I use the all weather at Attington and they have a good range of jumps from tiny (that's me) to the bigger ones that the proper people can fly over. Decent water feature when it hasn't evaporated too plus a ditch of different depths / widths for a bit of practice. It means they get everyone there from wimpy amateurs (me again), the pony club and the professional types.

Many years ago I rode at a place that had gallops put in and on the inner track had a selection of x-c jumps. I liked that set-up because you could work your way round the track and each jump had a small and larger option.

Back in my teenage years down in Wilts we had jumps set up over a huge area in and out of paddocks, lines of 6-7 jumps in a row, drops, steps etc. Jumps through woody bits and lots out in the open. That wasn't on an all weather and in the summer they'd have horses grazing amongst them which made it more interesting.

Quadro

Visit site
We do have natural water which is a stream, so will see what is possible to do with that. Was aiming for 3 heights at each fence, to appeal to pony club, lower end BE etc

TGM

Visit site
I'd concentrate on those XC features that you can't replicate at home, so water, ditches, banks, steps etc. An inviting open water with lots of options (so can walk straight in and out, go up and down a small step, jumps before and after etc.). An ideal course would have two waters, but probably not an option for you at this earlier stage. And lots and lots of ditch options. Given ditches and water are the most common XC problems, people don't want to hire lots of different courses to practice over, they will look for courses with multiple ditches/water.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Yes agree with the above. Have a look at Slades Farm XC for ideas, they've just opened a super training facility, not much space and they've put lots of questions together.

VRIN

Visit site
Take a look at Somerford - an awesome training facility. Not suggesting you replicate but can get some ideas. They are just making a smaller xc field - might b worth talking to them ...

EventingMum

Visit site
Titwood (near Morris) have a range of fences up to BE100 so would be worth a look. They're all within one big field too and are very popular with PCs, RCs etc as well as individuals so much like you are doing. Strathearn has a great range catering for all levels but is over a large area and Lindores has a good selection. All would be worth a look for idea. I think people often look to school over *problem* fences so rider frightners, trakeners and ditches would be good to add to the mix.

Bernster

Visit site
Yes agree with the above. Have a look at Slades Farm XC for ideas, they've just opened a super training facility, not much space and they've put lots of questions together.

JB - would you recommend slades for smaller jumps around 60/70? Not many pics on the website so not sure if it’s worth the trip. Thx

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
JB - would you recommend slades for smaller jumps around 60/70? Not many pics on the website so not sure if it’s worth the trip. Thx

They have a few around that height, but not many from what I remember. Not sure it would be worth the trip from yours but I'm not sure how far it would be for you. I've got tons of photos from the open day, I'll have a look through them when I'm back in the office on Wednesday.

Quadro

Visit site
Insurance is already sorted! Thanks all. Have been to Strathearn and Lindores and will be on a smaller scale! Will be gettin out for some market research, and will take pictures of things to replicate. Good to know what people want!

Sprig

Visit site
To get more repeat business you could use as many portable fences as possible (please make sure they are properly anchored) so that you can move the configuration around every couple of months. This could help with the land management too.
Do you have planning permission for using the field as a XC training venue? I can see that if there are neighbours around you may have objections, mainly due to increased traffic.

ShowJumperL95

Visit site

This a variety of different, step heights, ditches have some thin shallow ditches for the really nervous horses and have some wider deeper ditches. Water jump should also be a definite with options to jump in and out or just too simply canter through.

Definitely look at slades farm they will have a good example of what you might be looking for.

AnShanDan

Visit site
I'd concentrate on those XC features that you can't replicate at home, so water, ditches, banks, steps etc. An inviting open water with lots of options (so can walk straight in and out, go up and down a small step, jumps before and after etc.). An ideal course would have two waters, but probably not an option for you at this earlier stage. And lots and lots of ditch options. Given ditches and water are the most common XC problems, people don't want to hire lots of different courses to practice over, they will look for courses with multiple ditches/water.

Agree with this too.

I'm noticing this year, getting back to eventing after a 4 year break, that you get more questions even at 90 now, like jump, 2/3 strides into water etc. so the ability to practice that sort of thing would be good, and all sorts of ditch type combinations as well ie skinny in/out, offset skinnies etc

I see more and more places using these adjustable xc wings for fences as well, so you can move the log height? Like this: https://shoestringeventing.co.uk/Content/CoursePictures/2018/Forgandenny (2)/BE100/IMG_5290.jpg

Quadro

Visit site
To get more repeat business you could use as many portable fences as possible (please make sure they are properly anchored) so that you can move the configuration around every couple of months. This could help with the land management too.
Do you have planning permission for using the field as a XC training venue? I can see that if there are neighbours around you may have objections, mainly due to increased traffic.
The only neighbours are the vendors, they are well aware of the plans and have no issues. Will look at portable, although hoping to build rather than buy in, due to the cost of timber currently will be rather pricey, and I do not have to pay for it!!

Northern Hare

Visit site
A XC training facility I visited in Ireland years ago also had a "step over" option to most combinations so there was always an option. This venue was really popular with event riders as it was a great positive way to get the young event horses going, but equally very popular for those who were starting out with XC and who could still be encouraged by achieving a clear round.