Building confidence out hacking

Solo1

Visit site
I don't know if any of you remember my previous post about a planting pony on hacks, someone mentioned whether it was confidence and I think they may have hit the nail on the head!

Said pony hacks beautifully in company but there's limited company on the yard. Venturing out by ourselves is met by planting, spinning and rearing.

I'm taking her out as often as I can with company to get her confidence up, haven't yet ventured out by self. I'm normally a calm, quite confident hacker but of course there may be some tension going down reins due to her antics.

Is there any handy tips for confidence on hacks? Said pony is 4 y.o and bold as brass in stable at home. Half connie and I think it comes out when she says no on a hack! Will walks in hand help her at all? Or will she just rely on me? What about starting off in hand and mounting up half way, or for the ride back?

Thank you for your time, melt in the middle chocolate pudding on offer ;)

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
When I was starting Shy, I led him everywhere - and it really de nerved him. I had no-one else to ride out with, so this was the way he learnt about the world, and we built up huge trust doing it, which converted straight to me being in the saddle. If you can safely do this I really recommend a chilled out walk together. i chatted away and sang a lot (the poor pony :eek:). :) I think it would just give him that extra confidence.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Agreed. And maybe some longlining hacks if she already does it well, so she gets used to being up front alone. Plus when in company get her in front as much as possible.

violethillx

Visit site
My pony has this issue when someone new takes her out on her own too and she's part connemara :). Here's what I did. Started by leading her round a certain route and singing to her..sounds daft but it worked a little bit I think to calm her down! Did this once a week and after a few times got on her after we got off the yard. Built up to about 3 times a week just around the same route to show pony that she would get home safely and I wasn't kidnapping her away from her friends and food :) when she was fine with one route, started trying a new one, just in walk, but still did the old one once a week. That was in about February as I only tried to hack out a few times over the winter; now we hack out fine together and she will happily go down any new routes with me, jump any logs etc I aim her at at stop/go when I tell her too, though she is still a little reluctant to leave the yard. You could also ask someone to walk with you on foot - I did this once and it helped my pony feel more confident leaving the yard when I wasn't leading her.

I know it's the most frustrating thing when you just want to go on a quiet ride but they're planting their feet, spinning etc but just be patient and persevere and I promise you will get there! x

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
so it's not just me that sings !! HURRAH !! I am sure that if Shy heard another rendition of "Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do" he'd not be seen for flying hair and hooves :p

But it does work ;)

Broccoli

Visit site
I think it's just a question of building confidence in both of you, so I would suggest starting with small hacks e.g. Just down the road and back, then building it up every day.

I did this with my boy when he was a youngster and it's amazing how quickly we were off exploring on our own. Singing helps too!

Supertrooper

Visit site
With mine I can't lead him as he'll break away! He's 800kg of shire x so I've got more control on him.

I 95% of the time always ride with someone but if I do take him out without another horse i'll have someone walking with me.

I still talk to him all the time, try and keep me reins long and make sure I'm relaxed. I also ask friend to take a lead rope just in case and I always stick to same route that is a short circular one that has very little traffic.

He plants more than anything but it's very hard to move 800kgs if it doesn't want to go!!!

Broccoli

Visit site
Also try to push on through the naps, only turn for home when you decide. Connie's are intelligent and quickly learn good/bad habits. I hope this helps. Happy hacking!

Littlelegs

Visit site
And to add, never turn round & go back, circular routes only, or at least if you don't have a choice, do different small loops before turning back