Building cross country jumps

Twiglet

Visit site
Hi all.
I'd like to get some basic cross country jumps built for my yard before the end of summer. Nothing huge - 3ft max - but safe for everyone to be jumping.
Any advice on how best to build, and which are the most preferred jumps to start with?
I'll have access to lots of tyres, probably quite a lot of timber, and possibly barrells etc too - and two strong men for the hard work!
What's the best methods of fixing the jumps together (have horrific images of injuries caused by nails etc running through my head!!)?
They can't be fixed to the ground as they'll need to be moved out of the winter fields when grazing in them starts.....

Sounds like a long shot?!

allijudd

Visit site
(have horrific images of injuries caused by nails etc running through my head!!)?

Any nail running through anybody's head will cause horrific injuries!! LOL

Seriously though there are a number of good books about building fences. Look on Amazon with a search fo building cross country fences.

You say you want them to be movable, then the design of the fences will need to change a bit as most books are written with fixed fence design in mind.

I think there is a company who advertises building xc movable fences in H&H, and there is also a company in Launceston, Cornwall who build them advertised price is starting price of £40 per movable XC jump.

Good luck with your new course.

Claireg9

Visit site
a good way to fix them would be to use rope! But you need to of gone to brownies or cubs to know all the knots to keep it sturdy!
Tigers traps are easy to build with moveability in mind as they are wider at the bottom than top so obviously happily stand on the ground without being fixed!
Big log would be another good one, normally there higher at one end than the other and wouldnt harm to be left in field whilst grazing, you could also build steps into a hill or sloping bit of ground again could be left whilst grazing,m also a water jump as this can be used as source of water when horses are in there.
tyres can be actually just rested over a showjump pole with wings which is so easy to move.
hope these help as starters!

Clodagh

Visit site
BHS Horse Trials Notes on Cross Country Course Design and Fence Construction...1977...it cost 60p!! Is really good though and we used it when we built our course.

OWLIE185

Visit site
Kenilwort Publishing publish an illustrated book on design and building cross country jumps.

The jumps are normally held together with rope.

The take off and landing areas also have to be specially surfaced so that the horses don't slip.

Depending on the views of your local planning department on 'Rustic Jumps' you may have to apply for planning permission.

It would be wise to check that your insurance policy covers any liability if horse, rider or spectator are injured.

Twiglet

Visit site
They're literally going to be small practice jumps to practice. Only people on the yard (who are all fully insured) will be using them. They'll be movable, so i don't think any will need PP.
Thanks for your help.