Building up hind length strength

Scribbles

Visit site
Little laddie has come on leaps and bounds (no more mouth/head shaking issues, and we even get a lovely collected canter in the field).

His front end has muscled up nicely, but his back end is still fairly 'baby' and skinny and so I was wondering good not-too strenuous exrecises to improve this? Transitions seem to throw him onto his forehand, as do circles. We have LOTS of hills round our place, loads of fields on slight or steep inclines. The only problem is going up the hill means going down, so does this have a detrimental effect?

Is hill work the best stuff? Lunge work has really improved him, so should I incorporate lunge work into 'normal' ridden work? He gets lunged when he has been bitten by another horse where his tack goes (lol) - I'm not fussed as he is a young gelding enjoying himself.

Would polework help, so he can't drag his front legs along?

Ideas appreciated
smile.gif

gummybear

Visit site
If he is young, then it will take a bit longer for the back end to muscle up anyway - but hill work is fantastic for building muscles. Going down isnt going to do him any harm, it will do him good, as will going up hill. Dont think that you have to trot/canter up the hills though - when I worked for an eventer, he often preferred to walk the horses up step hills saying it built up muscles better - but that was his personal opinion!

sachak

www.pinkequine.com
i'd echo the hilwork, poles and pessoa and also when being ridden id suggest trasitions from trot to halt and straight back up into trot. although that will depend on your horse though.

best of lck... my boy is just starting to show some muscle now so i know how hard it is!

saskia295

Visit site
Hills, hills and more hills!! But just make sure he is pushing himself up from behind and not pulling himself up from the front end.

I take my hands either side of his neck/shoulders to encourage him to 'push' up.