Building up top line

HannahJ

Visit site
What is the best way to build up top line and back muscle? Is it just to do with exercise or does diet play a part as well?

Thank you!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I do think horses need sufficient high quality protein to build muscles .
I have also had very very good results with the supplement myoplast which you need to feed while the horse is in work .

HannahJ

Visit site
What is your horse currently doing?
He's currently being ridden 3 times a week. Usually once out hacking, mainly walk and trot, then twice in the school, possibly jumping a few little cross poles one of those times. I find it quite hard to get him working in an outline though

PerfectCoffee

Visit site
If he doesn't work in a correct outline you will find it difficult to build true topline that comes from muscle rather than fat. Get a good instructor to show you how to get your horse working properly and you will find his topline will improve. :)

HannahJ

Visit site
If he doesn't work in a correct outline you will find it difficult to build true topline that comes from muscle rather than fat. Get a good instructor to show you how to get your horse working properly and you will find his topline will improve. :)

I have a lesson on Saturday so I'll ask with help to get him working in an outline more consistently :)

Will the lack of muscle be making it harder for him to work properly? So it will get easier both for him and me as he builds it up?

Cobbytype

Visit site
I do think horses need sufficient high quality protein to build muscles .
I have also had very very good results with the supplement myoplast which you need to feed while the horse is in work .

I was recommended Equitop Myoplast for my horse to help with a neuro/muscular disorder. One of the vets at the practice had used it on her horse after it had lost condition due to illness and she thought it helped.

Tnavas

Visit site
Quality work, it's going to take a long time if only ridden three days a week.

Sufficient protein in his diet but most important that protein must have suitable amino acids especially lysine, without sufficient lysine the protein will just be converted into expensive energy and pee.

Micropony

Visit site
I was recommended Equitop Myoplast for my horse to help with a neuro/muscular disorder. One of the vets at the practice had used it on her horse after it had lost condition due to illness and she thought it helped.

Will only help if the horse is working correctly though. OP your lessons will help you get him working correctly through his back, but it will take time. Once you find his buttons, the more correct work he does, the more he will develop the right muscles and the easier he will find it. But don't beat yourself up if it doesn't happen straight away, all any of us can do is our best.