Bullying in the field...

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Well, i've worked out why lukey has been coming in with injuries. Daughter witnessed him being chased by one of his field companions and being bitten in the process
frown.gif
The injuries i posted about earlier this week that looked like wire cuts i now think are from him trying to get away from this other pony and catching himself. He wasn't himself this morning so has been put in our little isolation paddock for now where he can see other horses but can have a break. Do these type me situations ever settle down or do i need to find a permanent long term solution? I'm so frightened of him being seriously hurt and he was covered in sores this morning
frown.gif

teddyt

Visit site
If he or another horse has only been introduced to the field recently then it should settle down. If it is an established herd then there is obviously a very dominant and aggressive companion. If they are competing for food/water/shelter then that will cause it too.

moodymare1987

Visit site
My 17.2 gets bullied in the field aswell.
I cannot put him out with too many horses as they all try to batter him.
He now has a mare as a friend and goes out with her just them too, Unless the little shetland sneaks in under the fence if she is in the other field facing the one my boy is in. My horses problem is he is too friendly.

I didnt bother trying to let horse get used to others as he got kicked about three times in space of 5 mins and horses were charging at him so had to get him out.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
They very rarely resolve themselves SD. You're going to have to separate them I would suggest.

It's a bugger, but speaking from experience - the problem only stopped when the 'offender' was removed from the field.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Cheers guys. The offender is a new addition to the herd but i'm loath to risk my boy anymore as he's dropped abit of condition and is starting to look really fed up which is unlike his usual cheeky self. Amymay, i agree, i feel it's not going to get any better. Ho hum, will have to sort something out for him, i don't like seeing him like this
frown.gif

SNORKEY

Visit site
Hi, if it does'nt stop in another week then id seperate them.
My horse got kicked by one of the bullys in his field last month which resulted in a big vet bill and a possible fractured leg, thankgodness it was just bad bruising, we put him in with other horses but i saw one of those go for him today, he is stupid enough not to move away when another horse tells him off though!

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Hi
smile.gif
lukes problem is he's a very playful 3 yr old and just doesn't seem to get when the others have had enough
smirk.gif
... He's come in hurt every day this week so i'm tempted to put a stop to it now rather than wait, you know?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Very wise SD. I think it's usually pretty obvious when the protaganist means real business. If the horse (or pony) is comming in damaged on a daily basis, then it's usually only a matter of time before something more serious happens.

Not worth the risk at all.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
See that's what i'm sacred of
frown.gif
it stops now, my boy is way too precious to risk. The knee injury could have quite easily been a break and i'd have been making a very different post.........