Burghley 1.5 hour queue to get out - Is that normal?

Petalpoos

Visit site
Hi anyone who goes to Burghley regularly. I hadn't been for years until last weekend, but I was horrified at how long it took to get out on Saturday. It took an hour and 40 minutes to get to the A1 as they seemed to be sending all exiting traffic down one lane. Is this normal or was it just a **** up this year? I enjoyed the event more than Badminton, but must say I would think twice re going again if the queuing is normal. We had a 3.5 hour drive after we reached the A1, so it made for a very long day!

Abi90

Visit site
I’ve always left about 3pm so never had to queue to get out. Not sure what it would be like if we stayed to the end

sjb10

Visit site
We left just before 6 and it took about the same length of time as you to get back to the A1. That is the usual route out for most traffic.
Some of the public parking gets sent out via the golf course which is closer to the A1 but I'm not sure you can guarantee being in the right place. And if you have members parking I don't think there is any choice!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
We stayed about half an hour after the end and probably only had about half an hour delay max coming out of members parking/front gate. We were there v early so didn’t want to hang around too long.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
^^^ As ester, about half an hour to leave the members’ parking area by the front gate onto the B1443, (compulsory right turn only), about 3/4 hour after the last horse. Then it was a steady flow of traffic on the roads outside the park, but we were back at the offsite campsite 6 miles away in a few more minutes.

Last edited:

bubsqueaks

Visit site
We come in off the A1 & drive down the golf club entrance to park - 3rd time going & never had to queue more than 15 minutes
Its one of the reasons Ive stopped going to Badminton as found that horrendous
We have always entered & exited via this route & never found a problem so yes perhaps as Ester says some tactics & pre thought required!!

Petalpoos

Visit site
"We come in off the A1 & drive down the golf club entrance to park - 3rd time going & never had to queue more than 15 minutes
Its one of the reasons Ive stopped going to Badminton as found that horrendous
We have always entered & exited via this route & never found a problem so yes perhaps as Ester says some tactics & pre thought required!!"

Thanks bubsqueaks and ester, I have a year to plan, so will see what I can work out. Interestingly, we have swapped from Badminton to Burghley as we can't be doing with the massive crowds either. Much more relaxing at Burghley. Until you try and leave...

bubsqueaks

Visit site
We found as well that Badminton atmosphere has changed & become more commercialized whereas Burghley feels magical
We also bought the members package for the 4 days which gave you preferential parking & when entering at the golf club was down at Lions Bridge but tbh we always arrive each day at 8ish so no queues at that time
Its a very special event that I share with my daughter & look forward to it so much each year - I did check yesterday when the Olympics are in case they impact on who competes but they finish early August so hopefully should be okay
This year was definitely unusual with the competitors taking part but we found the top 3 line up amazing!