Burghley first timer!

Polos

Visit site
hi,

My mum yesterday surprised me with a 4 day pass for burghley horse trials for a little girly weekend away. I'm so excited!

I've never been to burghley before but have done badminton Xc day.

I've no idea what to expect as i've never been before, has anyone got any tips for while we are there? and more importantly what is the shopping like!

SOS

Visit site
I live nearby and go every year. Are you staying in Stamford or outside? If possible I would walk in, the traffic gets rather bad. Got plenty of restaurant and bar recommendations if you want to PM, although I would book a table now as again things get very busy.

As for Burghley itself, the shopping is plentiful, with hundreds (if not thousands) of stalls. A lot of it has swayed towards less equestrian and more ‘country fashion/homeware’ or very expensive artwork. However it’s still good fun, even if you just walk around imagining up your dream home :p

Food is fairly expensive but there is so much that I would definitely try atleast a few places. Loch Fyne does amazing seafood, Grasmere for their burgers/sausages etc.

I’d suggest doing your shopping on Thursday/Friday. It’s significantly quieter on these days and you can stay close to the dressage etc. Saturday I would get as a far away from the shopping as possible. It’s extremely busy as everyone goes, walking the cross country course and watching a horse or two by every fence takes a good portion of the day. Pack a bag pack of picnic blanket, pimms and snacks and set up by the trout hatchery water or cottesmore leap for lunch! Tip: Walk it backwards, you avoid the other thousands that set off from the first horse to walk the course.

Sunday if it’s not too much of a stretch get SJ tickets, it’s a fab atmosphere. However if you don’t want too you can still watch it on the big screens around. There used to be reductions on a Sunday afternoon at some stalls but rarely happens now: :(

There’s plenty to do and if the weather is nice, it’s glorious! :)

Polos

Visit site
Thanks for all the tips! didn't realise the members ticket didn't allow you to grandstand access on a Sunday but the website seems to have grandstand tickets for as low as £11 so we will be able to afford it!

Can't remember where exactly we are staying but I'll have a look later and pM you for food recommendations tonight if thats ok!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I love Burghley :). We based the motorhome at Tallington Lakes campsite which is a few miles away, and drove in for 3 of the 4 days. We did the Stamford town trail and Rutland Water on the Friday to ring the changes ( and keep the OH happy).

We got cheap SJ tickets and though the seats weren't covered, the view was great.

Asha

Visit site
we went to Burghley for the first time last year, it was fabulous. You can shop till you drop, its bliss. id love to camp there, we passed lots of happy campers while waiting to park.

My only advice, if the weather is good, take good walking shoes, and lots of money to shop. Oh and plenty of pimms.

SOS

Visit site
Yeah that’s fine! And no unfortunately it doesn’t include the grandstand tickets, there used to be a small section free on Sunday to stand and watch but believe they have got rid of it for more reserved seats. Dressage days you can sit and watch in a free section and cross country day half the arena is a screen you can sit in front and the other half part of the cross country course. A good place to meet people!

Finlib

Visit site
we go to both every year and I actually prefer Burghley of the two.The course is more uphill and downhill than Badminton so its possible to find good spots to watch several jumps on cross country day.
Shopping is great .
We take our caravan and stay on the campsite there.

Polos

Visit site
Yeah that’s fine! And no unfortunately it doesn’t include the grandstand tickets, there used to be a small section free on Sunday to stand and watch but believe they have got rid of it for more reserved seats. Dressage days you can sit and watch in a free section and cross country day half the arena is a screen you can sit in front and the other half part of the cross country course. A good place to meet people!

I'll message you now!

Polos

Visit site
we went to Burghley for the first time last year, it was fabulous. You can shop till you drop, its bliss. id love to camp there, we passed lots of happy campers while waiting to park.

My only advice, if the weather is good, take good walking shoes, and lots of money to shop. Oh and plenty of pimms.

I'm looking forward to the shopping! Do you know if you can take glass bottles in or am I going to have to decant my pimms into a plastic bottle haha?

Polos

Visit site
I love Burghley :). We based the motorhome at Tallington Lakes campsite which is a few miles away, and drove in for 3 of the 4 days. We did the Stamford town trail and Rutland Water on the Friday to ring the changes ( and keep the OH happy).

We got cheap SJ tickets and though the seats weren't covered, the view was great.

do you remember what block you where in for the SJ day? I had a brief look on the website and block K seemed quite cheap but I wasn't sure how good the view was!

also do the SJ tickets sell out quickly? Is it best to order them now or can I wait a couple of weeks?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I think that we must have been in block K, with the collecting ring on our left. I wasn't expecting much for £12, but all the more expensive seats had sold out so we had little choice. They're great seats as long as the weather is fine! The SJ does sell out early though you should be ok to hang on a bit longer.