Burghley first timer

LaurenBay

Visit site
Super Duper early I know, but I want to buy tickets for the Burghley XC this year, I have never been before. I have been to Badmington twice now but heard the 2 are very different?

Where is best to park? What time is best to get there? Any must do's? Has anyone used the Dog creche there?

lauracwd2

Visit site
I went last year for the first time and loved it. We did Friday, Saturday and Sunday but stayed in a hotel a few miles away. I just followed the signs each day to go in and ended up in a different car park each day but they were all fine and convenient enough to get in and out. We arrived just before 9 on XC day and did a serious blitz on the trade stands then dropped everything in the car so we could spend the rest of the time on the course and making the most of the day. Doing this meant we didn't queue at all to get in and actually ended up parked right next to the start/finish of the xc course so when they last horse finished we got in the car and were straight out before the traffic started.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Not early at all! had mine since the day members tickets came out. I much prefer it to Badminton, they def have better food stalls. No real must do's, the first year I went was great as the put the mobile big screen in discovery valley so you could all sit on the bank and watch it, last year it was by the trout hatchery and you had to twist and turn to watch both.
I still prefer to get out on course before it starts (though have been there the days previous) as you are then a few fences ahead of everyone else walking.

sjb10

Visit site
I went last year for the first time and loved it. We did Friday, Saturday and Sunday but stayed in a hotel a few miles away. I just followed the signs each day to go in and ended up in a different car park each day but they were all fine and convenient enough to get in and out. We arrived just before 9 on XC day and did a serious blitz on the trade stands then dropped everything in the car so we could spend the rest of the time on the course and making the most of the day. Doing this meant we didn't queue at all to get in and actually ended up parked right next to the start/finish of the xc course so when they last horse finished we got in the car and were straight out before the traffic started.

If you went on 3 days, did you buy membership? That gives priority parking on cross country day which would from memory be quite close to the start/finish/trade stands. If OP is only buying a ticket for XC day, then that won't give access to that car park.

General parking on XC day is generally accessed from the minor road that runs from Barnack (B1443) towards the A1 along the southern edge of Burghley Park. If you get there early then you would probably be close to Lion Bridge anyway for easy access to the shopping from the other side. Most traffic is signed from the A47 through Southorpe and Barnack. Non members get taken off to the right in Barnack. Members continue onto the B1443 and go into the Park near the entrance for visiting Burghley House.

I think there are also entrances from B1081 at the Bottle Lodges and the Golf Course, certainly there are exits there, but I'm not sure if traffic can also enter that way. We live nearby and approach along the A47 so simply follow the signs as outlined above.

This webpage (http://www.burghley-horse.co.uk/information/map-gates-car-parks/ ) shows roughly where the car parks and gates are. As described by Lauracwd2, I think she probably went into the forward parking as a member.

As Ester says, not early at all. We have memberships this year, for the forward parking. Spookily they arrived while we were watching Badminton XC on the red button ;) Memberships sell out early, but you can still arrive early and park fairly close in other areas.

Finlib

Visit site
We go to Burghley regularly staying on the caravan park with our caravan and dogsThe dog creche is excellent. Proper gun dog metal enclosures capable of taking 1 2 or even 3 dogs together so our 2 Setters can go in one unit together .The guy running it is very experienced and excellent with the dogs.The marque it is in is airy and cool whatever the weatherand you can book your dogs in online in advance there is an email address you can send to to book> I prefer it to Badminton the creche is much better for sure>

lauracwd2

Visit site
If you went on 3 days, did you buy membership? That gives priority parking on cross country day which would from memory be quite close to the start/finish/trade stands. If OP is only buying a ticket for XC day, then that won't give access to that car park.

General parking on XC day is generally accessed from the minor road that runs from Barnack (B1443) towards the A1 along the southern edge of Burghley Park. If you get there early then you would probably be close to Lion Bridge anyway for easy access to the shopping from the other side. Most traffic is signed from the A47 through Southorpe and Barnack. Non members get taken off to the right in Barnack. Members continue onto the B1443 and go into the Park near the entrance for visiting Burghley House.

I think there are also entrances from B1081 at the Bottle Lodges and the Golf Course, certainly there are exits there, but I'm not sure if traffic can also enter that way. We live nearby and approach along the A47 so simply follow the signs as outlined above.

This webpage (http://www.burghley-horse.co.uk/information/map-gates-car-parks/ ) shows roughly where the car parks and gates are. As described by Lauracwd2, I think she probably went into the forward parking as a member.

As Ester says, not early at all. We have memberships this year, for the forward parking. Spookily they arrived while we were watching Badminton XC on the red button ;) Memberships sell out early, but you can still arrive early and park fairly close in other areas.

Yes actually that's a good point, we did have membership so that would have affected what car park signs we followed!

BOWS28

Visit site
Yes definitely get there early to shop. That way you can get out on course before the crazy rush of people. Shops get really busy around lunch time so the earlier, the better. Have the BEST time. Burghley is my favourite and we go every year!

LaurenBay

Visit site
Thanks for the info on the dog creche. I was planning on using it when I go shop in the morning for an hour and then pick him up again and he can come round the course for the rest of the day with me. He will enjoy running with other dogs for a bit (he is not clingy at all!)

I can't wait to go, it is much closer to me then Badmington too so will be nice to get home at a reasonable time also.

Finlib

Visit site
I think there no I is a 2 hour minimum on the creche but if your shopping that will give you time towel from the creche to the shops as it is set to the edge of the shopping area .Dogs should be on a lead at all times and extending leads are not allowed.There is usually a bag drop so you can leave shopping in the shopping area and pick it up when leaving.For details go on to Burghley webpage click information then visitor information then dogs . Enjoy! We love Burghley there is a dog ability course you can have a go at with your dog £1 (last year) to have a go and you get a lovely dog goody bag for having ago money goes to charity

Nicnac

Visit site
Used to go to Burghley every year - it is a wonderful event and loved the fly past from the members on the Sunday afternoon - very special. I no longer go as it just got far too expensive renting a caravan for the duration on top of the entry fees so now take truck to Badminton. I wouldn't take my dogs to any big 3DE's as I don't think it's fair on them being dragged around on a lead all day and being stepped on (I know that a lot of people will vehemently disagree with me!) and definitely wouldn't put my dogs in the creche as they all sound distressed and it can get very hot in there.

The Burghley shopping is a nicer than Badminton as are the food stalls as more spaced out. Get there super early and I loved sitting around the Discovery Valley area for lunch.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Love Burghley.

Gates open at 7.30am. If you’re going just for the Saturday, I’d aim to be queuing up outside the gates in advance waiting for them to open. :).

A 4 day pass is £128 for two persons versus membership which is £196 for two. That’s a big difference, is it really worth the extra dosh?

ester

Visit site
It is absolutely worth the extra dosh! :D For me even just for the parking, add the dressage seating and nicer loos in and I'm sorted.
(it's £160 including a car pass)

hollyandivy123

Visit site
pref Burghley to Badminton

Stamford is on a train line, i usually pop over by train as i can't stand waiting in the ques, also less chance of too much shopping. early shopping buy anything drop it at a bag stop and then of round the course for xc, normal pace at 1-2 horses per jump.

food, bring rolls or nice savory oat bickies and hit the shops for salmon and olives etc before setting off,......................

ester

Visit site
Thanks ester, I hadn’t noticed the extra £32 for parking on top of the 4 day pass! That makes membership much more appealing at only an extra £36 for 2 x folk for the two 4 days.
I drive because I get travel sick, but my left leg doesn't like clutch control when queueing. I've always had members or the first year we had a press parking pass which was even closer! I like it because the biggest issue with getting their early is wanting coats/boots earlier on in the morning but it's easy to go and redress :D

Orangehorse

Visit site
It is in the back of my mind to go to Burghley this year, but haven't made any plans or bought tickets. How easy is it to find accommodation or will it mean having to drive a long way in every day?

ester

Visit site
It is in the back of my mind to go to Burghley this year, but haven't made any plans or bought tickets. How easy is it to find accommodation or will it mean having to drive a long way in every day?

I think there's quite a few options for accommodation, it's very close to Peterborough, I think Fiona stayed somewhere in the vicinity last year. I live within the hour so don't bother and have also stayed with friends out in wisbech direction before I moved here.

Finlib

Visit site
What is the caravan park like at Burghley? Are all the units squashed up together, like they seem to be at most outdoor events, or is there a decent and safe amount of space between them?
It's much smaller than Badminton t as it does not allow tents or horseboxes only caravans and motorhomes.They are quite well spread out its set up on the golf course ,It gets sold out quite quickly

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thanks, horselib. I’ve just had a look online and there is still availability for camping except for the non generator pitches, which have sold out. We’d have gone for a non generator pitch, they are noisy beasts!

I think that OH will be rather relieved if we camp off site as usual. He likes a break from the horsey fraternity, lol!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
On the back of ester’s recommendations (!) I have gone and purchased the membership package. Eek, will I have to ditch my usual jeans, trainers and polo shirt for something maybe a bit, err, tweedier :D?

There’s still plenty of availability of the cheaper uncovered Grandstand seats for Sunday’s SJ, although I can see that they are selling fast. There are hardly any covered seats left. So anyone thinking of going on the Sun is advised to crack on and book their seats - we’re going for the 2nd cheapest seats, which we have had before and gave a perfectly decent view of proceedings. Just hope that it’s dry!

Have also booked off site camping 7 miles away (to OH’s relief).

ester

Visit site
haha sorry! I don't do tweedier :p
we did the uncovered seats down the side last year (as was a bit tardy) and they were absolutely fine, I treated us to mid option this year.
roll on september :D

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
We love Burghley. i much prefer it to Badminton (although love that too). We've always camped off site, the caravan site at Burghley always looks so cramped.

If you've got a land rover there is a seperate car park right at the front you can go in, but you really have to be there very early on xc day. Ive only ever got in it on dressage days.

Aim to get in before 8.30 on xc day. Shops are better than Badminton. The dog creche is much nicer too. Much more spacious than Badminton.

For xc, try and get to the water jump (we go for the Trout Hatchery) a good hour before it starts so you get a good view, then walk it backwards. it works v well. Go to the loo well before you need to and always have a tissue or two in your pocket!

acr

Visit site
Hoping you don't mind me highjacking your thread, but thought I'd try here before making my own, since it's similar...

I'm an American coming to Burghley (and the UK in general, actually!) for the first time this year. We won't have a car, we're staying in Peterborough and taking the train back and forth. Anything I need to know, or things I should bring, or things I definitely MUST see/do/eat/buy? Helpful tips are greatly appreciated!

sportsmansB

Visit site
Leave Peterborough at pre-8am on cross country morning to get in smoothly, and get your breakfast once you arrive.

When we stayed in Peterborough we got taxi's back and forth, there were 3 of us and it was around £18-20 I think, so it worked out fine.
Wear comfortable shoes, bring something to sit on (picnic mat or similar) and waterproofs. Make sure you go to the office / scoreboard and get running orders so that you're not constantly checking who is on next!
If you're there on Thursday/ Friday, pick a time during the dressage that there isn't anyone you particularly want to see and walk the cross country then. There are soooo many people on Saturday its much harder to walk round- but if you haven't been before it means you'll get your bearings and know where you want to be on Saturday and you can go straight there. Keep an eye on facebook for advertised coursewalks, these are really interesting and informative if you have the time to go.

Book grandstand seats for dressage and show jumping if you think you'll watch most of it, its much more comfortable than sitting on the ground watching the screens.

Reactions: acr