Burghley is cancelled

Velcrobum

Visit site
It is very very sad but I fully understand where they are coming from. Lexington ran because the infrastructure was already in place. It will be interesting to see if Blenheim runs as that site is fairly compact and is run in a part of the park that has no footpaths on it. There is already a degree of infrastructure to accommodate a variety of other events that are usually held there. The Jockey Club has taken over running the event so they may already own "stuff" that was previously hired for the event so another reduction in the cost of putting on the event. We will see!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Can’t understand it. What a shame for the sport.

Really? I have been involved in running horse classes at an agricultural show for over 30 yrs. That show usually runs the first weekend in August but was cancelled last year and the decision has been taken not to run again this year, for exactly the same reasons that Burghley have stated - uncertainty about the future pandemic status, the need to spend many months planning and the inability to insure against cancellation. It doesn't surprise me at all, although of course it is disappointing.

Nicnac

Visit site
Was just perusing Faceache and there is a lot of 'fury' about this. Disappointed I can understand, more so for the venue and competitors than spectators, but fury is a bit OTT. Nobody has a crystal ball and with the lack of insurance I don't blame Burghley for taking a brave and early decision.

Last year we said roll on 2021, but just have to go with roll on 2022.

Armchair Eventer

Visit site
I think it is really hard (nigh on impossible) for the organisers of large events such as Badminton and Burghley at the moment. Had Badminton gone ahead, how many spectators could they have allowed in, we don’t know what the situation with the pandemic and infection rates might be come September when it comes to Burghley particularly if people start to travel to green and amber countries and take holidays (we may know more about the travel corridors today)? Under these circumstances is it viable for the trade stands to pay enormous sums of money to have a presence at an event with a limited crowd and limited sales potential? The regular crowds of people that visit Badminton and Burghley mean that social distancing is challenging particularly around the big, attractive thrilling fences. How many of the people who are complaining about the cancellation of Burghley would have been happy to contribute to a crowd funding appeal? We have to grit our teeth and get through this. I personally think it is insane that the Olympics will go ahead as planned

NinjaPony

Visit site
Completely understand why they have decided to cut their losses now rather than risk an expensive cancellation but damn, I’m gutted. Really really missing watching horse sport on telly, particularly now I don’t have my own ridden horse.

PippiPony

Chocolatier and Greyhound lover
Visit site
Such a shame
I understand why. Feel sorry for all the trade stands too. A friend who takes one had previously been advised to stock as it if was going ahead by them. But knowing how packed the stands are and the XC course gets I'd been wondering how they would limit capacity.

Lammy

Visit site
Really? I have been involved in running horse classes at an agricultural show for over 30 yrs. That show usually runs the first weekend in August but was cancelled last year and the decision has been taken not to run again this year, for exactly the same reasons that Burghley have stated - uncertainty about the future pandemic status, the need to spend many months planning and the inability to insure against cancellation. It doesn't surprise me at all, although of course it is disappointing.

Wasn’t a dig at the organisers more frustration that other sports get more funding and support and help. I can understand why they can’t plan to run if it cancels last minute and insurers won’t cover them for it.

It would be nice if our government focused on something other than football for a change but that’s never going to happen.

Kat

Visit site
Absolutely gutted, I promised my nephew a trip to Burghley for his 18th birthday present. He'll be 20 before he gets to go now ?

Understandable though, we have had a tradestand there in the past and the cost is eye watering. No way we could pay that out this year with the risk of cancellation or potentially very limited numbers of visitors.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm sad about it, even if limited numbers and watch the rest on telly. And while it might not be true/accurate it feels like other stuff is running enough that it should be doable in some way.

JGC

Visit site
I'm really sad as it's near my sister and her family and it's usually a family weekend for us. As we haven't seen them since last March, it feels extra sad to see this cancelled.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I'm sad about it, even if limited numbers and watch the rest on telly. And while it might not be true/accurate it feels like other stuff is running enough that it should be doable in some way.

Yeah I know what you mean. I expect it is pretty dependent on the background finances of each comp/event

SOS

Visit site
My absolute favourite event, I normally go the whole 4/5 days and used to live in the town so it would take over our life for a week which was fantastic. Have gone every year since I can remember (pre 2020).

Also surprised as they are holding several events at Burghley over the summer... although not to the scale of the horse trials. Including their game fair at the end of May.

I’m gutted as I love the event and fed up of COVID ruining everything... is there any end to restrictions?!

Wishfilly

Visit site
It is really disappointing, but I assume the organisers have explored all their options, and just can't risk having to cancel last minute.

It is a shame, and I hope these large events are given help to get up and running when it is safe for them to reopen.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
They are much earlier at cancelling this year than last, and yeah I think as I knew they were running other public events which probably have the equivalent crowds of dressage days poss more I kind of assumed they would probably go ahead. I guess it shows how much ticket sales matter with regards to funding it.