Jayzee

Visit site
Such a shame!! Totally understandable though

I hope there will be some events; Blenheim, royal international

teapot

Visit site
Such a shame!! Totally understandable though

I hope there will be some events; Blenheim, royal international

The RIHS doesn't have any international jumping though...

It's disappointing but I can understand why. For all the outrage on Facebook, I'm not sure you can compare Burghley with Kentucky. Kentucky is built and ready to go - arenas, vast amounts of permanent stabling etc etc. It's a purpose built site. With the best will in the world, Burghley is basically private parkland that is transformed for five days a year. They are chalk and cheese in that respect. It's laughable in some ways that our two best events are literally done with a bit of string and a marquee.

Let alone insurance issues, costs, risk assesments (I shudder to think what a 5* with covid RA looks like, writing a yard one was bad enough), and sheer utter uncertaintity. Also factor in the date of the new European Champs; being post Olympics if they run, and costs for international riders because of Brexit. Running Burghley would be akin to Pandora's box this year imho.

Last edited:

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Gutted. I don't normally go but love watching it. Would be happy to contribute to a crowd fund if it meant it happened behind closed doors.