Busybody alert!

mollichop

Visit site
O.k I'm walking the dogs past my local riding schools turnout field where I'm surprised to see nearly all their native Little ones have got medium weight rugs on - some with full necks :-(

It is half past 4 and 19 degrees here! The field has little to no shade since they fenced the trees off.

So should I just ignore it? None of my business? or ring and ask? I can't call in there as walking dogs for others and on our way to the lakes.

What would you do?

ThePony

Visit site
Makes me mad, it's utterly mental, and cruel to boot. You could prob say something, depends if the people who own the ponies are plain stupid or just couldn't care less. I'm not convinced any horse or pony (regardless of weight/health etc) would benefit from a medium weight in these temps.

TheoryX1

Visit site
I agree with all the sentiments, but honestly is it any of your own personal business? It would annoy the life out of me when I go past it, but its not my job to be self appointed 'Horse monitor' and tell other horse owners what they should and should not do.

I will probably get shot down in flames by the NL bunny huggers, but I would stay well clear of it. I suspect some well meaning, but not very knowledgeable person has done it. I would add that I would not walk away if I witness blatant cruelty, but I dont think any of us would.

Am now going back to CR before I get lynched.

mollichop

Visit site
I know it is none of my business and it probably won't make any difference but these are all riding school ponies so shouldn't they be setting an example of a decent standard of horse care?

Honestly I'm hot in just a vest top - these are unclipped natives - they must be boil in the bag ponies right now! :-(

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I have to agree with TheoryX1. My ponies have been rugless for some time now, but unless the ponies are actually distressed I think you should walk on by.

Perhaps they don't have a wardrobe of rugs for each pony and they need to be clean for lessons after school? I guess at least they are out and not just in stalls/stables.

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
That's just pure lazyness on their part, they just can't be bothered to put them back on tonight! But if they are unclipped native types they prob don't need them on overnight either do they?! I wouldn't say anything, but that's just me! (wimp....?)

Ollie's Mum

Visit site
As it's a riding school I suspect that it's not being done from ignorance but either to keep the ponies clean or to sweat their winter coats out of them - laziness on both counts. I think it's fairly common and not something I'd agree with but I think that you'd probably just get a mouthful if you were to say anything.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Agree with ollies mum. I know a few horses who do benefit from a rug at night, who's owners rug them sometimes at 4 ish if it suits their plans for that day.

Moobucket

Visit site
I'd wait until I saw it happen again on a number of occasions as it may be an innocent mistake. I know in this case it seems unlikely as they are riding school ponies, but say someone did their horses before work, misread the weather conditions and then weren't around until after 5 ish post work to deal with the rugs it would a simple error to make.

sarelis

Visit site
Meh, I've seen plenty of ponies rugged to the eyeballs on my way to & from the yard during this warm weather, my TB & his friends have been unrugged day & night since the beginning of the month! Maybe I'm just cruel & heartless :)