Butcher not wanting me to feed raw chicken

mollichop

Visit site
Went to my usual supplier, different bloke serving but he knows I go in once a week to get dog bits. I got some lamb scragg and asked if he had any chicken carcasses (sp?) left as they are usually kept back for me.

He asked if they were for the dogs and I said yes. He raised his eyes and said he wasn't happy giving them to me for that reason :confused: He asked what I was going to do with them and I said nothing, feed as they are. He said did I know the bones could splinter :rolleyes:

Surely a butcher (he is the owner and top man there) would know raw poultry was o.k? Anyone else had problems sourcing from butchers?

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
How odd. Mine is very good about that sort of thing, I got a sackful of turkey wings and carcasses at Christmas (literally a sack, I could've wept for want of a chest freezer :eek:) and he knew it was all for the dog.

Did you tell him that it was only the cooked bones that were potentially dangerous, and what does he think that wild dogs eat? :p

gunnergundog

Visit site
Chicken carcasses are predominantly cartilage and not bone in any case so you can allay his fears! :D

If you get wings and legs still attached (lucky you!), then they will contain bones, but uncooked bones pose little problem to a dog that is used to chewing.

mollichop

Visit site
Yeah I did, explained that it was only when cooked that they are a problem but I felt a bit stupid explaining it to him if you know what I mean.

My usual bloke, the old boy keeps loads of wings, drummers and carcasses for me and he knows they are for the boys and not me and never questions it - infact he brings it out to the truck for me and fusses them telling them what lucky dogs they are getting spoiled and when was I going to buy something for me to eat from there! :D

I also want a chest freezer but no room for one :(

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Ignorant person! I had to explain the concept a few times to a fab nearby butcher but like blackcob, I got a sackful of turkey bits (fun butchering that!:eek:) and I've not had any issues since starting to feed raw.

soloabe

Visit site
Being a butcher doesn't make him knowledgeable about dogs though does it:confused:

No but it should make him aware of the difference between a cooked and a raw bone.

I love my butcher which is a rare thing here. He runs a small local farm shop and sells wonderful things and also gives me sack fulls for the dogs. They had their first cow tail yesterday!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Butcher in the Market always has pig's heads. Do you reckon a springer would cope with one or is that just mental? They do fine with trotters but a head is a whole different matter!

davisn

Visit site
Butcher in the Market always has pig's heads. Do you reckon a springer would cope with one or is that just mental? They do fine with trotters but a head is a whole different matter!

We freeze ours & then cut them into quarters on one of OH big electric saws (can't remember which one). I'm sure the butcher would do this for you if you ask.

A quarter head is plenty for a meal for a young lab, as I don't want him getting fat & I hate it when he buries leftovers in his bed for a midnight snack!