Bute allowed in competitions.....

Flame_

Visit site
Well if they allow other things like steroid injections and de-nerving procedures, its a bit silly to have a problem with a trace of bute, isn't it?
wink.gif

Ladylina83

Visit site
.....But what that vet said is right if a horse gets a bit colicy from travel etc you should be able to treat it ! Do you not think so ?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
.....But what that vet said is right if a horse gets a bit colicy from travel etc you should be able to treat it ! Do you not think so ?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes but then I wouldnt want to be competing it.....

grin.gif

Ladylina83

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes but then I wouldnt want to be competing it.....

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that too - but what about the week after - would it have gone by then ?
confused.gif

Flame_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
To be fair i also see nerve blocking and steriods as cheating.. so no..

i see a problem with medically enhancing a horses performance full stop!

[/ QUOTE ]
There would be an awful lot more useless, worthless, write-off horses if it wasn't for all the things the vets can do to keep horses comfortable. I take your point, I just want you to see another angle. What about heart-bars for horses with foot problems? Are they cheating?
wink.gif

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Its complicated, I do think for most things there should be a level that is ok and permitted. but I also assume every horse metabolises things like bute at a diff rate.

do comp horse vets have to keep a record of what is prescribed? I assume not.

dizzyf

Visit site
my old boy is now on bute for his arthritis. He doesnt compete now, (due to the fact that there's not much point as he wouldn't win and also he would get far too excited he would be asked to leave the show ring) but I don't see why it would be a problem to enter him in a local level veteran class for a bit of fun (if I thought he'd remain sain enough)

Visit site
I would be p****ed off if I was beaten in a top level competition by a horse on bute, however, I would not mind at low level competitions if a horse was getting on a bit and just needed a little maintenance help to extend its working life and enjoyment. The trouble is it is too open to abuse. Perhaps it should be declared and accompanied by a vet cert as to why the horse is on bute, and if competing, handicapped with a penalty to level out the playing field. How happy all this beaurocracy should make them!!

suzi

Visit site
I have an ex-racehorse who I was advised by the vet to keep on bute permenantly, I was worried about this masking other injuries as he has a tendancy to go a bit loopy in the field so I worked hard to get him sound (massive thanks to my farrier for battling with his dreadful feet) and have been able to manage this with very little bute use!!

I really wanted him to start doing a bit of dressage - and did get him to a couple of walk and trot tests this summer but was determined that he would compete bute free.

My main concern with competing on bute (at any level) is it's potential to mask other injury's that could be exacerbated by competition or further work.

I also wonder if people would be encouraged to keep horses on bute for longer than needed and I've been told long term use can have a detrimental affect on the kidneys and live.

irenebradley

New User
Visit site
I am torn over the bute issue - it seems right to allow quality of life to be maintained, but wrong (cheating even) to compete at major events.

I don't see any reason why old arthritic horses shouldn't compete at local shows on bute for fun , but I foresee horses being allowed to compete at major events with serious problems masked by pain killers just for the prize money.

ihatework

Visit site
There are a lot of posts since the FEI released this news in both latest news and competition riders. It's a complex argument which I'm swaying towards being in favour of but it is obviously not without it's concerns too.

But what most people can't seem to grasp is that the threshold of bute that will be allowed is the equivalent of 1 sachet given 24h in advance .... that ain't going to mask a hell of a lot!!!

Also, were you aware that bute can be, and has been, legally used under BSJA rules for many a year?

Faro

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Also, were you aware that bute can be, and has been, legally used under BSJA rules for many a year?

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly wasn't aware of this (don't do showjumping myself) but am shocked to find this out.

I feel strongly that bute should not be used in any sort of competition. Not so much for the "cheating" reasons, but because, as others have said, it is masking an underlying issue with which, without the use of bute, the horse would be unfit to compete. Whilst competing on bute, that underlying issue could potentially be aggravated. I strongly believe that that is compromising the horse's welfare - and the animal's welfare is far, far more important than winning (or even taking part in) a competition.

It's such a shame that there are so many people nowadays who put competing/fame & glory/money before the welfare of their (supposedly) much loved horse.

As fo a horse being colicy after travelling. Well, yes, if it needs bute to make it more comfortable/lessen the pain, then of course - give some bute to the horse - but no way should that horse be competed, bute or not.