Bute Alternatives

Mitchyden

Visit site
I have a horse with a bone spavin and she is virtually sound but not quite. I would like to give her some sort of painkiller but she won't eat Danilon, Bute, Devils Claw etc.

There is another product on the market which is very expensive but has good reviews but I can't remember what it is? I think it is advertised in the Horse and Hound but I no longer subscribe to the magazine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

bumblelion

Visit site
I really rate no bute, given my arthritic id a new lease of life! However, it's devil claw based although my boy's fussy and eats it no probs!

indie999

Visit site
I was in similar situation and had vet out who after much persuasion did give me bute.I just needed to take edge off his stiffness. I give half sachet every 4 days in plum jam and soaked pony nuts chopped apple.This has made such a huge difference. I have retired horse as he is a tripper too.But obviously he was in pain as he is a changed horse. Much happier like years ago on such a small bit of bute. He is a big 14.1h cob.

Devils claw was a complete waste of time and although I put bute in plum jam(a spoon ful ) as he wouldnt eat the nuts etc I had not realised Devils claw has sugars in it. He is a good doer and on restricted grazing at the time. So I was quite horrified to find sugar in Devils claw. & its not that cheap either.

What is in buteless as I am interested too?

rockysmum

Visit site
I was in similar situation and had vet out who after much persuasion did give me bute.I just needed to take edge off his stiffness. I give half sachet every 4 days in plum jam and soaked pony nuts chopped apple.This has made such a huge difference. I have retired horse as he is a tripper too.But obviously he was in pain as he is a changed horse. Much happier like years ago on such a small bit of bute. He is a big 14.1h cob.

Devils claw was a complete waste of time and although I put bute in plum jam(a spoon ful ) as he wouldnt eat the nuts etc I had not realised Devils claw has sugars in it. He is a good doer and on restricted grazing at the time. So I was quite horrified to find sugar in Devils claw. & its not that cheap either.

What is in buteless as I am interested too?

The sugar is because they make the devils claw supplements taste good by adding syrup. One of them actually tastes like Maple syrup, my horses will lick it off your hand.

If you want it without sugar you can just buy the root and make your own potion, I think you just put in in boiling water and leave it for a while, but you would have to look at the instructions.

Visit site
You didn't say what forms you had tried; DC comes in many different forms and products, liquid, powder, mixed into supplements, etc.

You do have to introduce it slowly and find a way to make it palatable, until theye get used to it.

Many of us have found that DC appears to be beneficial in certain conditions, and as a bute substitute, but it takes longer to work.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Many of these supplements take around 14 days to get into the system and show signs of working , hence a lot of products suggest a 'loading dose'.

Yo can tell if they work as I have had friends who have run put of Buteless and their horse has been fine for over a week and then stiff - generally the same amount of time applies to the supplement leaving the system as the laoding time for it to start working.

I use Buteless, No Bute or Debils Claw all in liquid form, whichever is the cheapest and available to me and found that they work for my horse. He is on a sugar free diet and I have had no adverse effect from the 5ml of liquid he gets daily, so I doubt the sugar content can be too high.