Bute and BE - a query

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
*struggling to word this correctly - hope it makes sense*

How long does Bute take to get out the system? Or what is the time between giving a horse bute and it being able to compete legitmately?

I know Bute is a banned substance so if a horse had some today and tomorrow for example (2 sachets each day) would it still be in the system by Saturday?

I am not trying to cheat I just need to understand whether I should withdraw from an event this weekend or not due to a little accident the horse had today or would we be scuppered anyway because of the bute?

I'm not certain whether he will be fit to compete given the accident I just want to know what my options, if any, are.

The withdrawal date is tomorrow but as I entered the day after the ballot date I wouldn't get any refund - assuming I understand the rules properly (Rule 2.20).

I'm a little bit gutted as it was going to be my first BE (on day tickets) and YO had very kindly offered to give me a lift. I'm not sure I'll get a chance to do another.:(

Does anyone know if I did withdraw whether I would keep my day tickets to use at another event, but just lose the entry fee OR do I lose everything and need to buy more day tickets should I get a chance to go somewhere else?

Last edited:

lex2501

Visit site
I have been told by my vet that it takes 11 days so I would say 2 weeks to be on the safe side.

It is definitely better to be safe than sorry as they regularly spot check!

star

Visit site
the FEI detection list says 7days for most horses but you need to allow more than this in case your horse eliminates it slower. 2wks would be safe.