Bute for sale on ebay!

BlackRider

Visit site
I was amazed earlier to see that there is some danilon for sale on ebay!

Its a prescription only medicine so its illegal to sell in this way, its very worrying that anyone could buy it :-(

I'm surprised that the seller hasn't been reported...

When I lost my horse my vets bought back my unused prascend (at the price they sold it to me).

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Appears to be a private seller selling leftovers. Exact phrase is 'surplus to requirements' ;)

Darkwater

Visit site
Sorry to hijack this thread - I have a large amount of bute (a box of 100) that I can no longer use. I can't return it to vets as I got a prescription from them but actually bought it online. Pony was on it long term so we bought as much as we could on one prescription but pony got ulcers and can no longer have it... Does anybody have any ideas of what to do with it? It seems such as waste to throw away something so expensive and what could be extremely useful to someone but due to it obviously having a use by date seems silly to have such a large amount sitting around 'just in case'. Obviously its illegal to sell on ebay (or anywhere, i'd imagine?) due to it being prescription only, I was wondering if a charity or similar would accept it but I doubt it. I'm not particularly worried about the money but if there's something more useful I could do with it rather than just throwing it out when it's out of date I would like to!

mandwhy

Visit site
It's a bit of a dilemma isn't it! There's no sensible reason why a charity shouldn't be allowed to have it (although probably is illegal), I mean if money isn't changing hands and they have horses who already have prescriptions for it. One of life's needless complications really.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Sorry to hijack this thread - I have a large amount of bute (a box of 100) that I can no longer use. I can't return it to vets as I got a prescription from them but actually bought it online. Pony was on it long term so we bought as much as we could on one prescription but pony got ulcers and can no longer have it... Does anybody have any ideas of what to do with it? It seems such as waste to throw away something so expensive and what could be extremely useful to someone but due to it obviously having a use by date seems silly to have such a large amount sitting around 'just in case'. Obviously its illegal to sell on ebay (or anywhere, i'd imagine?) due to it being prescription only, I was wondering if a charity or similar would accept it but I doubt it. I'm not particularly worried about the money but if there's something more useful I could do with it rather than just throwing it out when it's out of date I would like to!

I personally would offer it to a charity. I would think that they would be grateful for it as it will save them on meds. Registered equine charities should be trustworthy enough to only use bute as directed by a vet.

Darkwater

Visit site
Yes, that was my thinking that a registered charity would know perfectly well to use as directed so there wouldn't be the same moral problems as there would selling on ebay. I was really just thinking they would be aware that it is probably illegal for them to do so but if it was a donation i'm not sure if it is or not really! I will definitely ask around anyway and see what they say, its always worth an ask. Thanks guys!

moana

Visit site
What is wrong with ebay - that should have been removed immediately.

Darkwater _ am sure some one will PM you asking for it!!!;)

tankgirl1

Visit site
I personally would offer it to a charity. I would think that they would be grateful for it as it will save them on meds. Registered equine charities should be trustworthy enough to only use bute as directed by a vet.

A lot of vets will take back meds and forward them on to local charities

Miss L Toe

Visit site
This sort of thread throws into the spotlight just how useless the horse passport legislation is!

Vets dont enter drug details on all passports. The passport is already signed off, so meat will not enter food chain. But after the Great Horsemeat Scandal of 2013, we all now know that the whole process is leaking like a seive.
My vets give me a small stock of painkiller as long as they have seen the horse within 6 months, and it is for use for short term use. The passport is already signed off, so meat will not enter food chain. But after the Great Horsemeat Scandal of 2013, we all now know that the whole process is leaking like a seive.

mandwhy

Visit site
Had a little google and you can pass unused human drugs on to intercare (charity) through your GP, so it seems legal for drugs to be passed on but it will have to go through a relevant person like a vet who will do some paperwork.

BlackRider

Visit site
Its idiots selling bute like this that add to the horsemeat crisis, which may result in bute being withdrawn :(

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Had a little google and you can pass unused human drugs on to intercare (charity) through your GP, so it seems legal for drugs to be passed on but it will have to go through a relevant person like a vet who will do some paperwork.

Took mine back to the hospital and they said they had to destroy them, struck me as crazy, they were still sealed and a quick google says nearly £60 a pack :( Wish I'd known the GP would take them, he told me to return them to the hospital :mad:

caseycat

Visit site
I took an un-opened bottle of pom to my local rspca treatment clinic. It was left over after i had lost my dog, they were very happy to receive it, but they had a vet on site so no worries about it being used appropriately.

flaxen

Visit site
I think after the bute in slaughtered horses scandal vets will now not prescribe bute to anyone whose horses passport isnt available at time of visit so they can check its status and sign it out as necessary. I work in a vets and we take back meds that are still sealed in blister packs or sachets aslong as they arent damaged and will refund the unused, we wont refund tablets in a bottle but will dispose of them. We also had one client whose dog had died and she had a bottle of metacam that she had opened that morning and said it was unsealed but not used and was happy for us to have it for a member of staff or strays.

castella

Visit site
I'm exactly the same as darkwater, I think I've got at least 50 danilon left over from a pony I no longer own, it seems such a waste to bin it ! Vets should take it back even if they dont refund the full amount, so I can understand someone who needs the money sticking them on ebay.

Darkwater

Visit site
I'm exactly the same as darkwater, I think I've got at least 50 danilon left over from a pony I no longer own, it seems such a waste to bin it ! Vets should take it back even if they dont refund the full amount, so I can understand someone who needs the money sticking them on ebay.

I agree Castella, I can definitely see why somebody would do it. Its a lot of wasted money to have sitting around and such a waste to bin it!

Ella19

Visit site
The problem is what you have done with it in the time you have had it. Even though it's sealed the sachets may have been exposed to hot or cold temperatures outside those indicated on the packet, got wet and dried out, the Possibilities are endless. Now see yourself as a client who not only has recieved second class drugs that have been damaged on opening, but they will likely not work on your horse either! This is why vets can't always take them back, sealed or not, and do so at their discression.

Darkwater

Visit site
Ella I didn't mean to imply that I agreed with selling on ebay, and I completely understand what you are saying - I was just pointing out that I agree with Castella in that I can see it from both sides and can see why somebody might be tempted into it.

indie999

Visit site
Its idiots selling bute like this that add to the horsemeat crisis, which may result in bute being withdrawn :(

I sort of agree but I think the horsemeat crisis is more to do with the powers to be ie legislation(yes useless government they are good at blaming everyone else and do 0) and control of livestock etc and horses where do they fit into this? Everyday horse owners knew this years ago. Someone somewhere will always make plenty of money ie look at the near ban on being able to buy wormers over the counter etc. People would have stopped worming. When I was trying to get bute my vet wanted to come out all the time to see my old arthritic boy(so what a nice earner). I had someone ask me for bute when their pony became ill and was waiting to PTS & vet. What would someone do then? Give them it or say NO its POM. Better screening for horses prior to slaughter. Bureaucracy dont we just love it.

I am going to be honest I would have bought it off ebay & did look due to expensive vet. Were you looking for some?