bute - how do you get your horse to take it

Spudlet

Visit site
I don't know if you've read 'In The Pink' but there's a great bit in that where she chops bute up into a line with her credit card then goes and asks her YO how to get the horse to snort it:eek::D

Sorry, not very helpful to you but your thread title made me think of that scene and giggle again:D

spaniel

Visit site
Put it in the freezer until just before you need it. The cold takes the taste and smell off it quite a bit.

Jojoeena

Visit site
I mix mine with live yoghurt and syringe like a wormer - know it's all where it should be and the yoghurt is good for the good bacteria in the gut which can be compromised by medicines

benson21

Visit site
If you are having problems with bute, have you thought about trying danilon? Does the same thing but there seems to be no taste. Benson could sniff out a bute from 10 paces, we changed to danilon and he gobbled up his tea with no signs that it was there.

bumblelion

Visit site
The TB will eat it straight from feed bucket, mixed in with feed! He's normally the fussy one! The ID who normally eats anything and everything in sight will only eat it if disguised in marmite on toast!!!

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I dissolve it in warm water and syringe it straight in, horse wont take it in feed but syringe works fine. Very large syringe, got it from vet. Had got fed up with carving out innards of carrots and apples and then him still spitting them out....

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
The title says it all really. Am in need of New ideas to get my wise old get to take her bute.

Some horses hate the taste. The best thing is to get Danilon from your vet instead as this is sugar coated bute and even the fussiest of horses will eat it.

Ladybird

Visit site
Jam sandwiches/variations of something sticky on bread (marmite, treacle, butter etc)

A hell of a lot of garlic in their dinner to disguise (probably won't work on the determined ones!)

alext

Visit site
I used to give my old boy honey sandwiches he loved them :) much easier though it does depend greatly on the horse liking bread!

Enfys

Visit site
Mine comes strawberry flavoured in a liquid, syringe it in, no problems.

Also comes in a paste.

eventergirl87

Visit site
mix with petite filou to form a suspension (as doesn't dissolve) and syringe in.... Doone wouldn't except anything at all in feeds (was fussy enough about feeds as it was lol!), but it was just about ok tis way

horserugsnot4u

Visit site
I agree with tjmadron - apple juice always works for my horses and it makes the bute stick to the feed. I usually find any cheap brand will do ie basics range and after a few days you can reduce the quantity. Don't think any of mine would like the syringing method - they would think it was wormer but if it works for you then do it.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I use prodynam better for the stomac etc and mix with molasses or apple juice or mint supplement

when i was doing my bhsai we had a pony who lovedddddddd jam sandwich so he had his bute in a jam sandwich

MizzPurpleKitten

Visit site
I had big probs getting my boy to take Bute....AND Danilon. After trying literally everything, I worked out that dissolving in boiling water, putting in the fridge to cool then adsding a huge dollop of thick applesauce then mixing up and syringing into the mouth (with the use of a worming bit as he just spat it otherwise after rearing up, and at over 18hh he's not easy to reach when he;s being uncooperative lol) worked, eventually.

After about 2 weeks of this he decided he was sick of fighting and would happily take his Danilon in his feed, still won't take bute though.

oscarwild

Visit site
I've had horses who would take it in a syrup sandwich and also had horses who I've had to syringe it in when mixed with water.
My new horse wont touch it and she will only eat danilon

ebonyallen

Visit site
If you are having problems with bute, have you thought about trying danilon? Does the same thing but there seems to be no taste. Benson could sniff out a bute from 10 paces, we changed to danilon and he gobbled up his tea with no signs that it was there.

I agree my girl would never take Bute but has no problem with this one.

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
When Annie cut her nose open, she had her Bute mixed into a feed of chaff, flaked barley and beet pulp. She was happy enough with that, though one of the geldings did need a splash of molasses in it to cover it up.

UKa

community.webshots.com
I don't waste time and medicine anymore and go straight to the syringe that I got off my vet and give like a wormer. Can mix the powder in with something else and then you know it all goes in. Mine is a very fuzzy eater and so the only way to ensure she gets it is by doing it that way.