Bute- long term effects and alternatives

buzzles

Visit site
My mare fractured two bones in her hock 4 and 1/2 weeks ago. The first week she was on bute twice a day and is now been on bute once a day. I'm worried about the long term effects of this, and am aware of digestive problems particularly ulcers. I've told the vet my concerns and he thinks she still needs it to reduce inflammation and to keep her comfortable. Are their any medical alternatives to bute or other products (I've heard of a buteless?). Or is there anything I can give her to reduce the chance of ulcers. She's fed ad lib hay, 3 hard feeds a day (stud mix and balancer, chaff and speedibeet) and is grazed in hand for an hour a day.

The vet is coming out to change her bandage next week so I'm going to talk to him again then. Also she's got a 10 week old colt. I try not to let him have any of the feed with the bute in it but he has robbed a few mouthfuls and do you think it'll affect him through her milk?

merlinsquest

Visit site
ask to use danilon, not sure if its proven but my vet says its kinder on the stomach,. not so your purse though as its more costly, but if only on one a day neither should be too detrimental in the short term.

OrangeEmpire

www.equestrian-portrait.com
I think that NoBute and other herbal alternatives are unlikely to help in this case. In my experience they are only effective on generalised pain (often muscluar) rather than something specific like this.
Danilon is indeed thought to be kinder on the stomach. I'm sure somoeone else was asking about the foal taking some in through the milk and I believe the answer was that the foal would be fine... Can't remember the specifics though!
She shouldn't be on it for so long that you should have to worry about her being harmed, I should hope. I found a mineral lick did wonders for my horse's health when he was on box rest.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I always use Danillon if possible, because it is supposed to be kinder on their stomach.

However, long term use is just that - long term, not a couple of weeks.

I would absolutely go with your vet on this one - and if they can't give you Danillon, just continue with the Bute.

As long as she has adlib forage going through her Bute itself is unlikely to cause any problem at all.

EDT: I would also be very wary of feeding so much hard feed to a stabled horse - regardless of whether she has a foal on her or not. You can suppliment the foal separately, but the last thing you want is colic from overfeading.

K27

Visit site
Hi,

The pro's for giving your horse outweigh the cons here- I would definately heed your vets advice - your mare will need the bute to make her comfortable- I always use Danilon for one of my horses as its the only bute he will eat!!- it is supposed to be better for their stomachs as well- I really wouldn't worry too much about the risks of Ulcers at this stage-I would just keep the hard feed to a bare minimum and feed lots of fibre- according to her condition.
If she had a condition that required "long term" bute I would have more cause for concern re stomach Ulcers. And I def agree with AmyMay above- if your vet cannot get hold of the Danilon for you (which most vets can) I would continue with the normal butes that you have been given. Hope she makes a good recovery.

K27

Visit site
Sorry- I missed this bit out- typing too fast!! 1st line should read " the pro's for giving your horse "bute"..... ( In case you wonder what I am rambling on about!)

rcm_73

Visit site
My mare currently has bone spavin and was on bute for two weeks before I swapped to Suxibuzone (I think this is the same as the Danilon you are talking about?) I was worried too as my mare has had symptoms of ulcers previously and the Suxibuzone is meant to be kinder on the stomach and more palatable. Only thing is, my mare doesn't seem to be as comfortable on it as she was on the bute, so either the spavin has worsened or the drug isn't having the same desired effect. Waiting for my vet to ring back on this one.

buzzles

Visit site
Well the Danilon sounds promising, if she'll have to be on bute for longer than 6 weeks I think I'll talk to my vet about it. The vets at the vet hospital did say 6 weeks is the longest they recommend a horse is on bute for. Didn't think buteless or like would help but someone mentioned it to me so I thought I'd see what you guys think! The mare has never had any history of ulcers, colic or any digestive trouble (touch wood!) so I don't want to cause any problems now.

Amymay, believe me I am very wary about overfeeding this mare as she is an extremely good doer, she was only on stud balancer and hay when she was pregnant. However I've asked Baileys about what to feed her and am going on their advice as she has lost some condition since she's been lactating. She's on half the recommended rate of stud mix and the other half of her nutrient requirement is topped with stud balancer. She gets chaff and speedibeet go increase her fibre intake and to slow her down as she can bolt her feed. She gets 3 small feeds a day which are the highlights of her day at the moment, poor girl! She has a mineral lick but the foal tends to take chunks out of it so they only have it under supervision. They also have a likit but so far neither of them are interested in it.
Thanks for the help guys, always useful to get some other opinions!