Bute

indie999

Visit site
Hi
Old boy is on one bute a day (and I can give him up to 3 sachets if need be). I need to give him 2 BUT can I give this in one hit or do I have to give twice day? ie should I spread the sachets over the day?
Thank you

AdorableAlice

Visit site
You need to remember bute has a cumlatative effect, don't think thats the right spelling sorry, so if you can give it spaced out evenly it will have a better effect.

Try a spot of mollasses if they don't like the taste, or a bit of chopped up fresh garden mint to disguise the taste.

indie999

Visit site
Ok thanks will split it... currently it is put in soaked pony nuts and a teaspoon of what ever jam I have handy. He is arthritic, in fact so am I!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Ok thanks will split it... currently it is put in soaked pony nuts and a teaspoon of what ever jam I have handy. He is arthritic, in fact so am I!

I had an old boy that lived on bute for many a year and continued to hunt half days and enjoy hacking in the summer. I found if I gave him the powders evenly spaced I could monitor his soundness easily and because it has a cumlatative effect it became possible to reduce the amount given to enable him to be sound.

ie, a sachet each end of the day became half a sachet each end of the day because the drug stayed in the system due to the regular dosage, therefore I was using the minimum amount possible.

He was on it for at least 10 years and as old age came about I was able to up the dose alot and it still worked for him.

indie999

Visit site
Hi Was giving half a sachet but then one, he is really stiff(arthritis) I cant believe how suddenly he has stiffened up. Am having trouble picking out his feet. Am going to give two as we are sort of getting to end of road really with him. Once I hit the 3 sachets a day and if that doesnt really work PTS. Whats a shame is he looks so good for a good doer and is eating normally etc. I think the one takes the edge off. Am not worrying about cumulative effect as its more palliative for him etc. I suppose thats a good thing with Bute if you run out over a weekend at least you know there is some in the horses system. But thank you. Fingers crossed it works for him, a very nice old boy.