Buttercups

Doormouse

Well-Known Member
Joined
24 February 2009
Messages
1,680
Location
The West Country
Visit site
Has anyone had any experience of horses effected by buttercups. I know they are poisonous and that they cause blistering and ulcers but can the ingestion of the pollen make them lethargic? My mare's field has suddenly sprung hundreds of buttercups and I have noticed a blister on her lip. At the same time although she looks well and is eating she has become very flat and off form. Am I mad to think the buttercups could be responsible?
 

Mrs_Wishkabibble

Well-Known Member
Joined
26 October 2007
Messages
2,819
Location
Lincolnshire
Visit site
Mine wouldnt normally eat them but last year I strip grazed my Welsh x as she was chubby! I assume she must have eaten them as she had a horrible reaction to them, her face swelled up, her lips looked like somebody had took a baseball bat to her they were that swollen and her eyes were like cartoon popped out eyeballs, most bizarre!
blush.gif

Picked up a jab from the vet and it all started to get back to normal more or less straight away!! They pick round them when they are on good grass so I am assuming they will only eat them if they are restricted
smile.gif
 

cjdjivanovic

Well-Known Member
Joined
25 March 2009
Messages
347
Visit site
I never had a pony that ate them but touching the buttercups seemed to make the nose sensitive to the sun. I put on cheap thick sunblock, which worked a treat, but now I'm wondering if it was the barrier effect of the cream, not the spf, which did the trick.

Would anti-histamines work? If so there was a very interesting post on here a few weeks ago about using Piriton and other human pills, which are very effective on other allergies (but nb, I mean allergies, not poisons).
 
Top