Button Plaits

Sparklet

Visit site
I usually stitch plaits the night before if I have an early set off the following morning. Mine look ok but I really want to be able to do those lovely button plaits. Can anyone tell me where i am going wrong?

I usually plait down - put an elastic band round the bottom. I stitch the thread into the bottom of the plait, roll it up and then stitch it at the top. I am sure the problem is in the way I stitch at the top so I will describe what I do. I push the needle from the underside to the top and then back round again alternating sides.

My plaits look okay but a bit square and the top bit just seems to roll over rather than having that lovely button effect.

Help!

black_n_white

Visit site
Hmm I'm not sure what you mean. Would you describe these as "button" effect or are they the same as yours??....

IMG_8382.jpg

spaniel

Visit site
The trick is to plait from the wrong side.

You need to do it really tight. Brush the hair over to the wrong side and then plait up from there. Make sure the plait is as tight as you can get it. The go round the other, correct, side and pull the plait over before you roll and secure.

S_N

Visit site
Do as Spans said, but also DO NOT carry on doing this!

[ QUOTE ]
I am sure the problem is in the way I stitch at the top so I will describe what I do. I push the needle from the underside to the top and then back round again alternating sides.

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of alternating going round the sides, pass the needle back and forth through the plait. When you plait with thread, you shouldn't be able to see any thread - otherwise you may as well use bands.

zoesophie

Visit site
ooooohhh, never of heard of that but sounds like a great tip!! If I ever get to go out again Ill def give that a go!
wink.gif

Sparklet

Visit site
Okay will do that too - the reason I went round the sides was in a vain attempt to give the plait some definition and but I think Spaniels tip will help do that so will go back and forward tonight too.

S_N

Visit site
I take it the mane is black? If so, use white thread - then you'll know if you are getting the hang of it - if also makes them easier to get out, stops you snipping the actual mane!

black_n_white

Visit site
Oh ok. His mane is quite short - about 3 inches so I don't know if that makes any difference as there isn't much hair to fold up. I plait in the same way as you with elastic bands and then use thread to loop them up.

I think the difference is that I don't wrap the thread around the outside of the plait. Because the thread shows up too much against my horse's mane I secure them by sewing through the bobbles. So the needle goes up through the bobble and then I stitch accross a few hairs or under one of the plait "threads" and then back down through the other side.

I leave mine in overnight too and they stay in fine.

I'm not sure if that makes sense but imagine that you are trying to hide the thread as much as poss! PM me if I've confused you totally!

Sparklet

Visit site
All brilliant suggestions - I cant think why I have stuggled so long with my ugly plaits. I suppose it doesnt matter so much in dressage but I do want her to look the best she can.

sw123

Visit site
If you plait from the otherside you get htem sitting more on top of the neck - good for dressage type plaits!