Buy it even if it has sarcoids?

Event rider

Visit site
Folllowing from the earlier post,the other horses I have been to see have not been big enough/wouldnt be suitable . I had forgotten to mention that the dun I wanted to make an offer for had a small sarcoid,about the size of a 10p, on its belly that was being treated with liverpool cream and looks like its on its way out. He has another flat one on his sheath which Im not worried about as in my experience they are easy to treat. She would accept £1500 with tack/rugs/rest of cream.He is a 3 yr old ISH X TB. I stupidly didnt ask how long he had had them but have a feeling it is not been around for years.
Do I buy or not?
I like him alot,everything else is perfect, a little cowhocked but doesnt affect him and he moves v well. My boss says she wouldnt touch him with a barge pole.My mum says hes too nice to let go. Now Im stuck and dont know what to do.

horsegirl

Visit site
Nope! They are not easy to treat, if the return aggressively your horse will have loads. They will be excluded from insurance and will cost hundreds to treat.

pedilia

Visit site
Everyone feels differently about sarcoids, I bought my mare 4 months ago knowing she had them, she was worth the risk IMO!!

Event rider

Visit site
Hold on,think I worded that v badly. The flatter ones in my experience have been easy to treat.Had 2 with them,both dropped off in a month.

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
not accepted walk away. sarcoids are evil. and cost a lot. and no insurance company will cover them,. well if you really like the horse i would bid £5oo

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Take care ER. Google Prof Knottenbelt's definitive guide to sarcoids. He's a world expert. He warns that the only predictable thing about true sarcoids is their unpredictability. If the sarcoid on the horse's belly is being treated with Liverpool cream then it will have been diagnosed as such by a vet and deemed necessary to need treatment. The danger of sarcoids that are raw and wet and oozing is that flies can carry it to other parts of the horse's body. The one on the sheath is quite likely to be the same type of sarcoid as the one being treated, maybe at an earlier stage though. Be very careful because as others have said, you'd have to declare it on the horse's insurance and the horse would be totally and forever excluded from anything to do with sarcoids. If you buy this horse you may need very deep pockets and you may end up with an unrideable horse.

jackessex

Visit site
i ve had two horses in the past with sarcoids,one had a masive horrible looking one on the front of his nose which was quartered and frozen it never returned,and i brought a lovely 3 yr old with sarcoids on the inside of his thigh and they just went of there own accord,both horses where vetted and both horses insured!!!!i also new a lovely big horse with massive lumps under his tail and he went on to the ripe old age of 30,so dont always be put off!!but i would get money off the horse to cover the cost of treatment!!but thats just my opinion also i think it depends on where they are and if they will rub on tack etc.

Foxhunter49

Visit site
I have had horses with sarcoids and they can be a pain but there are various ways of getting shot of them.

With a young home bred horse who had a golfball size one on his sheath, non visible but there and another on the inside of his lower lip, I fed him NAF D-tox and they went within a couple of months.
I told someone else about it and their horse was cleared after several years of trying different creams.

abailey

Visit site
Hi, I have had 3 horses with sarcoids (tummy/groin area), I'm sure you're aware that Liverpool cream is the best solution (everything else, creams etc not surgery!, is probably just coincidence if successful as some sarcoids fall off on their own). Only one of them had them when I bought her, the other two got theirs later on ( approx 5yo) so you never know when a horse will get them.
I wouldn't say 'no' to a horse with sarcoids depending on where they are (ie not interfering with tack) and the severity. I would however negotiate on the price as there's always the possibility that the horse could get many more (I've never experienced this and my eldest horse has had them for 11yrs) but it is possible.
My only advise is don't mess with them..no tying off/cutting/freezing/camarosa etc if you're going to treat them be prepared to spend a bit via the vet and liverpool cream. (cost me approx £250 in total)
Good luck. :)

pedilia

Visit site
ER- my mare is 9, she has one very small nodular sarcoid about the size of a pea high up on the inside of her leg and two more tiny ones near her teats.
I did think long and hard before I bought her, I was lucky in that I had on trial and was able to have my vet do her vetting.
My other horse had also developed a flat sarcoid on his sheath.
I took the risk on the mare because she is my perfect horse in every other way, the sarcoids may get worse, they never change.
They are excluded from her insurance but for me the risk was worth taking.

Event rider

Visit site
The horse was for sale at 2k with tack and we offered 1500 with tack (on proviso that we are still happy when we collect him and dont change our mind if we are unhappy with sarcoids) and she said that is the lowest she would accept.He comes with his liverpool cream.My main worry is that my boss seems to think that with a younger horse having sarcoids,he is more likely to have more develop. Previous horses that ive owned with sarcids which have developed quickly have been 10+.

scarymare

Visit site
Sorry but no.

I had a fantastic mare, developed sarcoids as a 7 year old (by girth worst luck). Cost thousands (literally) and just got worse and worse. As far as I am aware, treatment hasn't improved any.

£1500 is very reasonable but that gets eaten up in vets bills very quickly I'm afraid.

Sorry for being so negative but I wouldn't want to go through the heartache again.

debbielinder

Visit site
If the horse is what you want go for it you'll kick yourself later on if u dont my last horse developed sarcoids when she was about 12 id shared her for 5 years an they popped up the month before i bought her of the owner the vet came out and treated them with liverpool cream and i never had a problem again

Event rider

Visit site
Hmm yes he is (on proviso) you must be TELEPATHIC :eek: :p !!!
Im sad to hear about everyones bad experiences, and glad to hear of those with good experiences. But its the mixed opinion which makes it hard to know what to do :(

Vicki_Krystal

vpequestrian.weebly.com
I got my best horse as a 4yr old with sarcoids.
The sarcoids have not altered in size sinc then and he is 14 now.

They havnt affected him at all and ive done everything plus more for what i bought him for.
My vet (back then) was strict - but a realist. He passed the vetting with a proviso on the sarcoids, but even he said he was a cracker and he would buy him for his daughter if i didnt!

(he is the last one in my sig)

Last edited:

debbielinder

Visit site
All i think is you know hes got them but you could spend months looking for another horse as good as him and that could develope sarcoids a week after you've bought it i wouldnt let it rule a horse out have your vet take a good look as it sounds as though you really like him as i said mine was quickly treated and i had no other problems i had her untill she was 20 so i kno she didnt develope any more theres two on our yard at the minute that just developed sarcoids practically over night so just somethin else to think about