Buying 7.5 ton lorry

HazyXmas

Visit site
Where should i look & what age & condition should i expect?

I sold my 1993 Iveco about six months ago & bought a trailer but i'm really not very keen on towing it & my daughter's new horse much prefers a lorry.

I took OH to look at a couple of 05 MAN's today but was hugely disappointed :-( Great chassis but really rubbish old bodies put on them. I don't need anything fancy, just something reliable & safe with basic living & able to sleep 2/3.

I have between £12-£15k to spend, what do you think i'll get for that & any bright ideas about where to look?

perfect11s

Visit site
Where should i look & what age & condition should i expect?

I sold my 1993 Iveco about six months ago & bought a trailer but i'm really not very keen on towing it & my daughter's new horse much prefers a lorry.

I took OH to look at a couple of 05 MAN's today but was hugely disappointed :-( Great chassis but really rubbish old bodies put on them. I don't need anything fancy, just something reliable & safe with basic living & able to sleep 2/3.

I have between £12-£15k to spend, what do you think i'll get for that & any bright ideas about where to look?
Should get a tidy lorry for that yes now chassis are so cheap but the body is expensive there are more than a few people buying old lorrys and fitting them to quite late chassis, sadly a lot are somewhat worse for wear under a coat of new paint!! I woudent get to hung up about age just trawl H&H, ebay, horse deals etc
remember weight ask to see its brake test print out for a guide and then before you buy see it on a weighbridge , avoid anything without a tilt cab and get your mecanic to give it a once over ...

measles

Visit site
Perfect11's and I disagree on this and so acknowledging that, I'd say do consider lorries without a tilt cab. We've had 3 over the last 20 years and it has never been an issue or contributed to costs, although I am aware it can in some circumstances for some repairs.

perfect11s

Visit site
Perfect11's and I disagree on this and so acknowledging that, I'd say do consider lorries without a tilt cab. We've had 3 over the last 20 years and it has never been an issue or contributed to costs, although I am aware it can in some circumstances for some repairs.
They were just about aceptable 20 years ago!! but now the best quality lorrys have a fiberglass pod that tilts away form the body they are much lighter and better looking than the old type of fabricated lutons, the old pre 2001 lorrys were just about work onable however the new engines need to be acessable and are harder to work on so good acess is esential some lorry builders cut holes in the cab this is a very bad idea as the floor and the seat base is structual and is the just about the only thing that is stoping you and pasingers being crushed or trapped in the event of a colision!!!
one board member found out to there cost about non tilt cabs when the engine failed in an iveco the extra work because of the non tilt added thousands to the bill, the other thing is because the things are such a pig to work on some items are skimped during service this is a possible cause of the engine failure it looked like the breather filters hadnt been changed causeing the turbo seals to blow so the engine ran on its own oil causing it to blow up!!
only the bodger back street builders dont make the cabs tilt these days so you have to ask what is the standard of the rest of the lorry...

Last edited: