Buying a heavy horse?

TheSubwayDino

Visit site
Hi all,
Currently looking at purchasing a draft of some kind. Possibly Bengian. I'm good friends with a local draft seller and as much as I've resisted- I think ima give in lol

I'm quite curious, what shows do you go to? Do they qualify for dressage?

Is your horse barefoot or are they shod? What do you feed them? And are they prone to anything in particular? I'm asking quite broad questions just out of excitement and curiosity.

Thank you

Last edited:

SEL

Visit site
Prone to a fair few health problems and make sure you have a farrier prepared to trim / shoe. You usually have to pay extra, they need a tight trim schedule because they are prone to flaring and not all are good at having their feet handled

In terms of health problems PSSM is very common in the Belgians although many have no symptoms. If you come across one who has muscle wastage then walk away.

CPL is the other genetic issue. Really get stuck in an feel their lower legs before you buy. Too many lumps and bumps and I'd walk away from that too.

Workload wise remember they are designed to pull. Trotting on hard ground / roads will cause more problems more quickly than a regular horse, but otherwise hacking & dressage aren't an issue.

The Belgians are lovely but they are working horses and need a job!!

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Mine is fab but bear in mind they were bred for intelligence and calm reliability. (Re Sel's comment about needing a job)

Go to Chunky Monkey for saddles and Fylde for bridle. You won't need rugs but if you do, Ruggles and Big Horse shop are great.

Some big horse breeds can have extra teeth so need 6 monthly appointments. Some farriers will charge double because he's a big horse and "takes longer"...good ones won't if your horse has good feet. Mine was barefoot and did well but a sidebone problem has meant we have remedial shoes on at the moment.

We do HH ridden and inhand showing. We're also involved with a regional HH group for regular training days and advice.

Even if a show doesnt have a HH schedule, there are still classes you can enter, such as equitation.

There's a BD HH route for those doing dressage but no reason you can't enter regular dressage classes.

Hacking takes ages. Everyone wants to ask you about your horse.

Abesmum

New User
Visit site
I have a percheron mare who is wonderful, she used to be shod but is now barefoot and copes quite happily. She is definitely not a plod and can have the occasional yippee moment. Can def recommend the big horse shop for rugs.

SEL

Visit site
I have a percheron mare who is wonderful, she used to be shod but is now barefoot and copes quite happily. She is definitely not a plod and can have the occasional yippee moment. Can def recommend the big horse shop for rugs.
I laugh when I see some of the heavies advertised as suitable for beginners. Mine was fabulous if you led a beginner on him but he knew if he had a rider on board and grass under his feet meant time to go faster!

Tarragon

Visit site
This is so funny! I used to ride out on my Exmoor pony with a friend who rode an equally rare beautiful Trakehner, but everyone would stop and ask about my pony, which we found funny.
I once took my daughter for a ride with the Cumbrian Heavy Horses, and yes, they can certainly go fast when they want to! It was a fantastic experience. Lovely well schooled horses to ride.

TheSubwayDino

Visit site
Mine is fab but bear in mind they were bred for intelligence and calm reliability. (Re Sel's comment about needing a job)

Go to Chunky Monkey for saddles and Fylde for bridle. You won't need rugs but if you do, Ruggles and Big Horse shop are great.

Some big horse breeds can have extra teeth so need 6 monthly appointments. Some farriers will charge double because he's a big horse and "takes longer"...good ones won't if your horse has good feet. Mine was barefoot and did well but a sidebone problem has meant we have remedial shoes on at the moment.

We do HH ridden and inhand showing. We're also involved with a regional HH group for regular training days and advice.

Even if a show doesnt have a HH schedule, there are still classes you can enter, such as equitation.

There's a BD HH route for those doing dressage but no reason you can't enter regular dressage classes.

Ah thank you so much! I am curious, what job does yours do? I might be able able keep "mine" at work depending if one of the bigger stables is open and avaliable. I honestly wasn't expecting to fall for drafts ?

abbijay

Visit site
I have had heavies for 12 years now and wouldn't buy a light horse now.
I have found them to be very trainable and make lovely ridden horses however I think the idea that they are "gentle giants" is more about management than natural instinct for some of them. All mine are very much forwards and up off the leg; they can enjoy an amble but when they engage the thrusters across a field they really can shift!
All mine have done dressage without any issue and while the occasional judge isn't keen they can score really well. My old boy was working medium and learning his changes before a field injury brought about his retirement.
My first 2 came to me shod and didn't do well without shoes on but the baby I'm bringing on at the moment has never been shod and won't be unless he needs doing.
In terms of food ad lib haylage is a must if they're in. That's probably 15-20kg/day in bad weather. Our haylage is very good quality so it's a just a vit supplement and chaff most of the time; the older boy when he was in harder work was on speedibeet, grass nuts and oats.
241963596_4546711142056088_8583382080689966500_n.jpg My baby clydesdale out at his first dressage
HDBG7837.JPG My old clydesdale, with his shire bestie, at the end of a pas de deux.
I don't have any of my loan shire on this machine but he was a real looker (and a bit of a handful most of the time too - definitely not an easy horse to manage)

TheSubwayDino

Visit site
I have had heavies for 12 years now and wouldn't buy a light horse now.
I have found them to be very trainable and make lovely ridden horses however I think the idea that they are "gentle giants" is more about management than natural instinct for some of them. All mine are very much forwards and up off the leg; they can enjoy an amble but when they engage the thrusters across a field they really can shift!
All mine have done dressage without any issue and while the occasional judge isn't keen they can score really well. My old boy was working medium and learning his changes before a field injury brought about his retirement.
My first 2 came to me shod and didn't do well without shoes on but the baby I'm bringing on at the moment has never been shod and won't be unless he needs doing.
In terms of food ad lib haylage is a must if they're in. That's probably 15-20kg/day in bad weather. Our haylage is very good quality so it's a just a vit supplement and chaff most of the time; the older boy when he was in harder work was on speedibeet, grass nuts and oats.
View attachment 90325 My baby clydesdale out at his first dressage
View attachment 90326 My old clydesdale, with his shire bestie, at the end of a pas de deux.
I don't have any of my loan shire on this machine but he was a real looker (and a bit of a handful most of the time too - definitely not an easy horse to manage)
Aw they're amazing! Honestly always avoided heavy horses when looking because it would "cost a bit more in food and what not" but to be honest, I'm happy to pay a bit extra every month and thank you for the ad lib suggestion I'll definitely take that into account! Thank you so much ?

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Ah thank you so much! I am curious, what job does yours do? I might be able able keep "mine" at work depending if one of the bigger stables is open and avaliable. I honestly wasn't expecting to fall for drafts ?
Lawnmower :D

It's not about the work, it's more about the routine and being aware that they can concentrate for hours. They can be sensitive souls who want to do a good job so you have to keep their minds interested.

In terms of feed, they live on fresh air so while they will get through a lot of hay / haylage when in, in terms of hard feed they only need a balancer so I feed a powder balancer (forageplus) in a single Stubbs scoop of chaff. You don't need to feed huge meals.

Medication and wormers is always doubled.

Heavies can do anything. Abbijay has shown you the fun she has with hers and I have a friend who was at HOYS in the ridden heavy last year and the same horse was also in the agricultural turnout class at the Great Yorkshire Show whilst also learning horseback archery during summer.

Mine had a go at side saddle and polocross but generally enjoys being a happy hacker.

TheSubwayDino

Visit site
Lawnmower :D

It's not about the work, it's more about the routine and being aware that they can concentrate for hours. They can be sensitive souls who want to do a good job so you have to keep their minds interested.

In terms of feed, they live on fresh air so while they will get through a lot of hay / haylage when in, in terms of hard feed they only need a balancer so I feed a powder balancer (forageplus) in a single Stubbs scoop of chaff. You don't need to feed huge meals.

Medication and wormers is always doubled.

Heavies can do anything. Abbijay has shown you the fun she has with hers and I have a friend who was at HOYS in the ridden heavy last year and the same horse was also in the agricultural turnout class at the Great Yorkshire Show whilst also learning horseback archery during summer.

Mine had a go at side saddle and polocross but generally enjoys being a happy hacker.
Honestly, thank you so much, I am definitely gonna try and get one. Alot of people have told me that you need to get them to "respect your height/their height" I don't really understand what they mean or what they expect me to do- have you ever came across this? Apologies if that doesn't make sense I don't really know either lol

I'm Dun

Visit site
Make sure you test them for PSSM before you take ownership. Its not something I would ever want to have to deal with again, and my mare had no real issues and was easy to manage. Type 2 cant be tested for accurately so do a lot of reading up and run down walk, away from anything you even suspect has it.

TheSubwayDino

Visit site
Make sure you test them for PSSM before you take ownership. Its not something I would ever want to have to deal with again, and my mare had no real issues and was easy to manage. Type 2 cant be tested for accurately so do a lot of reading up and run down walk, away from anything you even suspect has it.
Awesome thank you so much, I'm hoping the breeder will be open for testing. How long does it take to test? Apologies I'm not too familiar with PSSM. I'll definitely research it heavily

SEL

Visit site
Honestly, thank you so much, I am definitely gonna try and get one. Alot of people have told me that you need to get them to "respect your height/their height" I don't really understand what they mean or what they expect me to do- have you ever came across this? Apologies if that doesn't make sense I don't really know either lol

They're big and you aren't.

So you can't even pretend to manage them with force or strength because a horse bred to pull isn't going to notice you if it wants to go in a different direction. When mine wants to head to the fresh grass, he can bog off happily at walk with a human in tow. That doesn't mean their behaviour is nasty its just you have to make sure that manners on the ground are established.

We had a Shire who was about 18.2 at my last yard. Gentle as anything to handle but you did feel very small next to him! My Ardennes isn't tall but he's built like a brick outhouse and if he wants to go somewhere there's not a lot you can do about it.

TheSubwayDino

Visit site
They're big and you aren't.

So you can't even pretend to manage them with force or strength because a horse bred to pull isn't going to notice you if it wants to go in a different direction. When mine wants to head to the fresh grass, he can bog off happily at walk with a human in tow. That doesn't mean their behaviour is nasty its just you have to make sure that manners on the ground are established.

We had a Shire who was about 18.2 at my last yard. Gentle as anything to handle but you did feel very small next to him! My Ardennes isn't tall but he's built like a brick outhouse and if he wants to go somewhere there's not a lot you can do about it.
Oh I see ? I feel a bit stupid lol. Thank you for clarifying that!!

Squeak

Visit site
My friend has an 18.3 draft and he's gorgeous however she has issues with things that I completely take for granted and don't even cross my mind as a potential problem. I.e. something as simple as headcollars and girths are suddenly hard to find and as other have mentioned finding farriers who will trim them is much harder and to find one to shoe him would be almost impossible.

He has skin as thick as a Rhino so is oblivious to electric fencing and what he thinks might be a nice tail scratch in fact flattens a chunk of fencing. Likewise if he doesn't want to stay in a wooden stable - off he goes.

Most transporters these days have 3.5t horseboxes but when the horse weighs over 1t you're a bit stuck and having to hire HGV's at much greater expense.

Also he eats huge amounts, it's not just a bit extra, it's a lot extra and also if he needs meds or supplements or anything - normally he needs double doses due to his size.

He is really lovely and perfect for my friend but I personally had never fully realised the challenges of the bigger horse.

Oh also just remembered... In winter - the size of the hoofprints if he canters across the field :eek: the fields get trashed so much quicker.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Oh I see ? I feel a bit stupid lol. Thank you for clarifying that!!
It sounds silly but you probably find the bigger ones are better trained because they have to be. I do ground work with mine every single time I walk him anywhere. He has to stop, back up and walk on when I ask. We do it in the field when catching and turning away now. He knows he must stay at my shoulder and if I turn he must walk back. It means that even on the bad days when it's all too much (windy, other horses galloping around, flappy tents etc) and he's on his toes or decides to canter that particular corner as we walk in, he does it without going past my shoulder and without putting pressure on the lead rope.

I'm also reminding him of 'come by' and 'away' which he will have been taught when he was broken to drive.

But, if something grabs his attention and he looks away quickly, he is so big he can knock me over so he knows if I say his name he has to bring his head to me. He also bashes into doors rather than walking around them.

He loves being told he is a good boy so make it a game he can win and he will concentrate for hours trying to please.

TheSubwayDino

Visit site
My friend has an 18.3 draft and he's gorgeous however she has issues with things that I completely take for granted and don't even cross my mind as a potential problem. I.e. something as simple as headcollars and girths are suddenly hard to find and as other have mentioned finding farriers who will trim them is much harder and to find one to shoe him would be almost impossible.

He has skin as thick as a Rhino so is oblivious to electric fencing and what he thinks might be a nice tail scratch in fact flattens a chunk of fencing. Likewise if he doesn't want to stay in a wooden stable - off he goes.

Most transporters these days have 3.5t horseboxes but when the horse weighs over 1t you're a bit stuck and having to hire HGV's at much greater expense.

Also he eats huge amounts, it's not just a bit extra, it's a lot extra and also if he needs meds or supplements or anything - normally he needs double doses due to his size.

He is really lovely and perfect for my friend but I personally had never fully realised the challenges of the bigger horse.

Oh also just remembered... In winter - the size of the hoofprints if he canters across the field :eek: the fields get trashed so much quicker.
Aw ? yeah, those things seem to be an obstacle course in itself along with the other needs for a horse. Transport is definitely something quite wary about so sticking to my local dealers for this ??

TheSubwayDino

Visit site
It sounds silly but you probably find the bigger ones are better trained because they have to be. I do ground work with mine every single time I walk him anywhere. He has to stop, back up and walk on when I ask. We do it in the field when catching and turning away now. He knows he must stay at my shoulder and if I turn he must walk back. It means that even on the bad days when it's all too much (windy, other horses galloping around, flappy tents etc) and he's on his toes or decides to canter that particular corner as we walk in, he does it without going past my shoulder and without putting pressure on the lead rope.

I'm also reminding him of 'come by' and 'away' which he will have been taught when he was broken to drive.

But, if something grabs his attention and he looks away quickly, he is so big he can knock me over so he knows if I say his name he has to bring his head to me. He also bashes into doors rather than walking around them.

He loves being told he is a good boy so make it a game he can win and he will concentrate for hours trying to please.
Ah interesting! I'll definitely use something similar to that. I don't want my potential horse to be the one that everyone dreads when going into the field or if I have bring in or turnout services. Definitely ground manners and using the idea of being behind the shoulder too. Thank you ?

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I absolutely LOVE heavy horses and if I was looking again and had the finances to do so I would always go for a Clydesdale. My late Clydie was a fantastic horse but everything cost triple what the lighter types do. He hated his feet picked up so had to be sedated for the farrier which got eye watering expensive ?
When he became ill he was struggling on his legs, box rest wasn't an option and so I had to PTS. The vet said that had he been a lighter type he would very likely have pulled through. Nothing with a giant horse is small, such as tack, headcollars etc....even taller mounting blocks are needed..!!!!
Truthfully, I adore the heavies but you have to remember that horses aren't really designed to be so big...the bigger they are they more likely the wheels are to fall off :(

TheSubwayDino

Visit site
I absolutely LOVE heavy horses and if I was looking again and had the finances to do so I would always go for a Clydesdale. My late Clydie was a fantastic horse but everything cost triple what the lighter types do. He hated his feet picked up so had to be sedated for the farrier which got eye watering expensive ?
When he became ill he was struggling on his legs, box rest wasn't an option and so I had to PTS. The vet said that had he been a lighter type he would very likely have pulled through. Nothing with a giant horse is small, such as tack, headcollars etc....even taller mounting blocks are needed..!!!!
Truthfully, I adore the heavies but you have to remember that horses aren't really designed to be so big...the bigger they are they more likely the wheels are to fall off :(
Yeah leg injuries especially with a big one has always sort of been what's put me off plus you're limited in your options like you said if he was smaller.. I am so sorry for your loss. I am hoping that to get a belgian on the slightly smaller end but I know that still doesn't mean things won't happen draft or not ?

SBJT

Visit site
Feet, feet, feet! They need very regular trimming and may end up flat footed (like my guy) which will cost an arm and a leg to get the extra foot depth that you need. Also with the additional weight on the front there is a risk of compressed heels too. Yes they cost more with the farrier. Hay wise, mine doesn’t eat much more, so that’s not a big deal.

Brain wise they’re awesome, so smart and level headed. I can trust my guy with a beginner and he will take care of them, but if I get on he knows he’s going for a fun ride and he can go fast. However due to their size you always feel like you’re going faster than you actually are.

Mine, jumps (but being big horses they can’t jump that high if you want to keep them in good working order in the senior years). He also does dressage, cow work, trail and cowboy challenge obstacles. They are smart so I doubt you could have them doing the same thing every day for months on end as real boredom and sourness may set in.

Equi

Visit site
Just that they are a little thick when it comes to knowing how wide they are! My lad is an elephant, but he is very sweet and respectful and a good boy but he just doesn't realize how wide he is sometimes. YO has a growing belly and when she was her normal shape they were able to fit in the door together but now he needs to be told to wait for a moment so she can get through first without an uncomfortable belly squash lol he has learned this very fast and now stops himself before the door.

TheSubwayDino

Visit site
Feet, feet, feet! They need very regular trimming and may end up flat footed (like my guy) which will cost an arm and a leg to get the extra foot depth that you need. Also with the additional weight on the front there is a risk of compressed heels too. Yes they cost more with the farrier. Hay wise, mine doesn’t eat much more, so that’s not a big deal.

Brain wise they’re awesome, so smart and level headed. I can trust my guy with a beginner and he will take care of them, but if I get on he knows he’s going for a fun ride and he can go fast. However due to their size you always feel like you’re going faster than you actually are.

Mine, jumps (but being big horses they can’t jump that high if you want to keep them in good working order in the senior years). He also does dressage, cow work, trail and cowboy challenge obstacles. They are smart so I doubt you could have them doing the same thing every day for months on end as real boredom and sourness may set in.
Interesting! I knew a draft who was a keen jumper haha. How often does yours get trimmed?

SBJT

Visit site
Interesting! I knew a draft who was a keen jumper haha. How often does yours get trimmed?
Every six weeks like clockwork, and because his fronts are so bad he has to wear shoes on the front all year around. Plus his heels are compressing so we have to feed biotin to get as much growth as possible so that he doesn’t just flare out and actually has growth.

Kaylum

Visit site
Get some good clippers as they are high maintenance. My clyde was as fit as a hunter but his coat was so thick he was clipped all year round.

He was a go anywhere horse the heaviest of traffic he didnt care but I had had him since he was 9 months old and I took him out in traffic everyday. He wore heavy duty shoes which cost about £20 more than usual ones (get a good farrier who makes shoes) although he had fantastic feet.

He got feather mites so needed regular treatment.

Zoeypxo

Visit site
We had a 18.2 ardennes he weighed well over a tonne. Had to be sedated for shoeing and was £140 a set (i think).
He was terrible with beginners but would hack all day with an experienced rider, loved to gallop and nothing ever phased him. Heavy traffic not a problem!
He didn't enjoy schooling or jumping.
It was hard to get a saddle wide enough for him and headcollars never fitted around his massive head!
He also used to occasionally run through the post and rail and smash it all up because he felt like it.
Also have a 17hh clydesdale on the yard he is excellent, well mannered and quiet to ride and handle.
Watch out for feathermite and CPL.

I love heavies but keep in mind managing feathers, probably a much more expensive farrier bill and needing more hard feed over the winter.