Buying a horse out of work?

Melody Grey

Visit site
It wouldnt do any harm to ask to see her tacked up and someone sit on her and get off. If they will do this, then watch her face and body language very carefully while that happens and make a judgement about how easy she will be to restart from that.

I’m currently in the market for a project and have discounted a few that no-one was prepared to even sit on. Even if the horse has been off for some time I’d still expect to be able to sit on it without issue.

Anything below this would seriously be in the bargain basement for me price wise.

Jules111

Visit site
Call me cynical but i'm extra suspicious of horses sold from the field. If this horse is genuinely easy and ready to bring back in work it would be easy for an owner to get them going again and sell them as a ridden horse. It wouldn't take long if the horse is genuinely easy. When they sell from field with no prospect of riding I automatically think "what are they hiding here". It could be that they just don't have the time or inclination but they are throwing money away by not getting her going again before selling. I'd like to know why they are doing that before proceeding.

teddypops

Visit site
Call me cynical but i'm extra suspicious of horses sold from the field. If this horse is genuinely easy and ready to bring back in work it would be easy for an owner to get them going again and sell them as a ridden horse. It wouldn't take long if the horse is genuinely easy. When they sell from field with no prospect of riding I automatically think "what are they hiding here". It could be that they just don't have the time or inclination but they are throwing money away by not getting her going again before selling. I'd like to know why they are doing that before proceeding.

I agree! The ones I have known that were sold from the field is because no one was prepared to get on them any more!

Fransurrey

Visit site
Echo what's already being said. I enquired about a lovely looking pony that was being advertised rather cheap. I noticed in the video a little hop going into canter on one rein and after a short but promising exchange of messages (and a pencilled in viewing), I asked if they would be willing to let my vet look at his records if I agreed to purchase at the viewing. Radio silence. Needless to say I didn't view.

Charmer91

Visit site
It wouldnt do any harm to ask to see her tacked up and someone sit on her and get off. If they will do this, then watch her face and body language very carefully while that happens and make a judgement about how easy she will be to restart from that.

I second this!!

flying_high

Visit site
It depends on the circumstances. If she is at grass livery / in a field with no facilities, sold from the field makes sense.

If the owner has a small child and another on the way or similar, you can understand why she’s not being brought back into work.

I think you mentioned this is a friend of a friend selling. Can your friend not do some digging on why she had the foal and find out.

e.g. was there an injury? Or was the owner unable to ride and thought good time to breed a foal?

If there was an injury history, depending on what it was, I wouldn’t automatically walk away, but would ask for a loan with a view to buy, and bring mare back into work. If fine and sound, can buy at agreed price. If doesn’t work owners will still have had time, muscle and fitness and work added to mare.

eggs

Visit site
When my mare had time off to have a foal it was no problem to tack her up and climb straight back on board for some gentle exercise. I did this before the foal was fully weaned as he was happy to stay with his “uncle” whilst his mum was ridden (it was within sight of him).

fredflop

Visit site
As I’ve had a horse on grass livery, with limited facilities and working during daylight hours in winter, and not being made of money, then yes sometimes is can be very hard to bring a horse back into work “properly”.

having said that, if it’s possible to do a bit with the horse when you have the time/weather at the weekend, that will always help. I would never go and look at a horse where the owner says there’s no saddle, or no one to sit on the horse. It should be reasonably easy to get hold of a saddle that will “do” to make sure that the horse can be tacked up and sat on

Velcrobum

Visit site
I have purchased 2 out of a field not seen tacked up but they were only just 3!!! ;) If the mare has been ridden before then it should not be an issue to see her tacked up and someone on her even for a short walk and trot. She might be lacking condition but that is also the case with a youngster before they muscle up!!

Wizpop

Visit site
I would ask to see her trotted up at least and possibly a quick walk trot canter on lunge. Call me cautious but I’d also want a 5 stage vetting. A cheap horse can end up costing more than an expensive horse in the long run! If you feel unsure, you can always ask to see her veterinary history.