Buying a horse with a chip found through X-rays

Scotpot74

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone, I could do with some help. I have recently been endlessly trying horses and on two occasions have found lovely horses which then go on to have not the best vet check or X-rays. The last horse (who I very much think is perfect/ideal) came out with a chip that was found on the left hind fetlock. I couldn't believe it as he was superb to jump and I had a lot of experience with me sourcing this lovely horse. I felt deflated! But, after a chat with the vet who completed the check, the owners agreed to remove the chip through a very straight forward procedure. The good news, the lovely horse is said to be doing great and the vet shared that he should have no further problems. The horse will be for amateur competition up to 120. He is super horse with the best canter, honest, and scope to burn. He is 6 years old and has competed at young horse competition which may have been too high to soon etc......My question's are....... has anyone had a horse that has had a chip removed? what results? how did the horse go on from there? Ultimately, I want to buy the horse, however I am of course cautious. Any thoughts/help welcome. Thank you:)

sportsmansB

Visit site
I think a lot more horses have had chips removed as young horses than their current owners even know about
If the people who owned this horse had x rayed him themselves and found it and removed it before advertising you may have been none the wiser.

Go with the opinion of your own vet, ensuring they have all the xrays etc, and as above check out what the insurance will say

ihatework

Visit site
I’ve been around very many sports horses and vettings.

Chips are not uncommon. Horses change hand for proper money both with chips in place and after removal.

It’s the sort of thing that scares amateurs and as such dealers of that type are cautious about them, but horses with talent it appears to be less of an issue because performance takes priority.

From my perspective, if the horse is clinically good, and has a demonstrable record that doesn’t hint at soundness issues I wouldn’t discount. Add in the fact the sellers have done arthroscopy to remove then this would be an added bonus.

If the horse is clinically sound then personally I wouldn’t let it stop me.

You would need to bear in mind that left hind fetlock would be excluded on insurance.

eggs

Visit site
One of mine had chips removed from his front fetlocks and was a much sounder horse after the operation. Insurance will be the only issue.

L&M

Visit site
We had one that with initial diagnosis had a small bone chip in a hind fetlock.

We went the operation route, for them to only find several chips, tried all manner of rehab but horse never came right so was pts.

I wouldn't knowingly buy a horse with a known bone chip, but more due to a bad experience.

Visit site
If the horse x-rays clean now and is sound I would kick on and buy it if it otherwise everything else you could want. Yes there will be insurance exclusions on that leg but in the grand scheme of things the joint should give the horse no further problems in the near future, it may just get arthritis a but early than it would normally have.

We have had plenty of chips removed from various legs and joints and it never once stopped the horses carrying on racing to their full potential for many years after.