Buying a horse with locking stifle

DZ2

Visit site
Hi all, can I ask your opinion on buying a horse with a known locking stifle? Horse in question is recently backed 4 year old and would be bought as a serious competition prospect (jumping); it's looking very talented and priced on the lower side of what it should be (however still not cheap at nearly 10K) so would be a shame to miss out. People around seem to think it's not an issue however having never had to deal with locking stifle in past it does bother me. Would you buy or walk away?
I'd do vetting and x-rays for sure, is there anything else I could ask the vet to check specifically to get the accurate risk estimate?

Also, does anybody know how would insurance companies treat history of locking stifle, what exclusions if any are they likely to add to the policy?

Thanks x

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If you have £10k to throw away......

It may improve, or disappear with maturity. But, wow, that’s a hell of a gamble.

In my opinion, it’s currently valueless.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
but if it doesn't improve you can operate? not cheap, won't be paid by insurance I wouldn't consider it valueless depending on it's worth without the issue.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
but if it doesn't improve you can operate? not cheap, won't be paid by insurance I wouldn't consider it valueless depending on it's worth without the issue.

It’s valueless because it has no worth as a ridden horse, nor comp horse currently.

Surgery is an option, but not always successful. And why would you purchase to operate on?

ester

Visit site
well you wouldn't you would purchase hoping it would resolve with work as many do, or can be managed, but if it doesn't that isn't the only option. People buy them so they clearly have worth?! Like many things with horses some would be willing to take that on, others wouldn't but those who are willing give it worth.

DZ2

Visit site
If you have £10k to throw away......

It may improve, or disappear with maturity. But, wow, that’s a hell of a gamble.

In my opinion, it’s currently valueless.

Thanks, no I definitely don't have 10K to throw away :) My first thought was the same, just walk away, however I'm puzzled by advice I got from someone "don't let it turn you off the good horse", this person is professional and knows the market (and it's not the seller). With my luck however, though most grow out, it'll be this one horse I'll buy which will ends up with problems...

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi all, can I ask your opinion on buying a horse with a known locking stifle? Horse in question is recently backed 4 year old and would be bought as a serious competition prospect (jumping); it's looking very talented and priced on the lower side of what it should be (however still not cheap at nearly 10K) so would be a shame to miss out. People around seem to think it's not an issue however having never had to deal with locking stifle in past it does bother me. Would you buy or walk away?
I'd do vetting and x-rays for sure, is there anything else I could ask the vet to check specifically to get the accurate risk estimate?

Also, does anybody know how would insurance companies treat history of locking stifle, what exclusions if any are they likely to add to the policy?

Thanks x
In this case I would er and say no I would not, unless your vet says ok.
I had a mare here with locking stifle and many times it would lock first thing in the morning, and she would hobble with it straight till it unlocks. Also an OAp horse 35 had this and it was his demise as during the night he could not get up and he must have tried ages. and he never stood again, though he was 35. You don't know how quick this will deteriorate so I would say £ 10 grand is a lot to pay with a potential vet bill late on.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I know relatively little about locking stifles, but I think they can be caused by conformational issues? In a 4 year old. I'd be wondering what else might be going on there? There are enough problem free youngsters out there to not want to risk £10k on it in my opinion.

Insurance of the offending leg could be a nightmare too?

DZ2

Visit site
Thanks all for your opinions, I'm glad you are all agreeing on what I thought to myself. I just felt a bit silly making a big deal out of it when people around don't think it's an issue, but then it's not them who'd have to shell out for vet bills in the end!

Out of curiosity, would you be willing to overlook locking stifle and buy if it was cheaper?

Melody Grey

Visit site
It's £10k, I'd be making a big deal out of it! I think it would be different if it were proven to be successful in it's career, but you're literally just gambling on potential at that age.

It would have to be so cheap I could afford to lose it....so really not a lot, I'm poor!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

The old ligament cutting operation is not now advised, especially not in a sports horse. Other operations like chemical tightening are not guaranteed to work.

ycbm

Visit site
It’s valueless because it has no worth as a ridden horse, nor comp horse currently.

This is way too drastic, I think. I sold a horse with a fully disclosed history of locking stifles that had no effect at all on his work, and clean X rays, for a lot of money last year. My impression is that most of them pretty much grow out of it and most vets are unconcerned by a case which locks only when stood in and not when at grass or working.

When does the horse lock, OP, and how badly?

I'm not sure I would knowingly buy a 4 year old with it to compete seriously. It would have to be pretty cheap for what it was, I think.

ester

Visit site
Well I know one when it was very recently advised, and successfully completed (if by cutting your mean scoring the ligament). Of course nothing is ever guaranteed to work but it was just to make the point that if it doesn't right with age and work and isn't manageable then you aren't stuck with aboslutely nothing that can be done.

ycbm

Visit site
That's a different procedure, Ester. They used to cut the offending tendon completely. They now use chemical or manual scarring to try to stiffen it.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Leave it stifles that go wrong are heartbreaking .
I have known horses with locking stifles go on to have long careers and work hard.
But at that price I would leave it for someone else to take the risk .
If itbwhere older and proven I might take a different view .

ihatework

Visit site
I don’t know enough about locking stifle to comment on that directly, but 10k is cheap for a 4yo showing top class potential and yes there are many people who would gamble 10k.

That said, you don’t have 10k to gamble with. It also doesn’t sound like you are looking for a top class horse. Therefore your 10k is probably better spent elsewhere

ester

Visit site
That's a different procedure, Ester. They used to cut the offending tendon completely. They now use chemical or manual scarring to try to stiffen it.

hence checking what you meant, I definitely didn't mean cutting the tendon completely in my first post.

tristar

Visit site
well you wouldn't you would purchase hoping it would resolve with work as many do, or can be managed, but if it doesn't that isn't the only option. People buy them so they clearly have worth?! Like many things with horses some would be willing to take that on, others wouldn't but those who are willing give it worth.
i agree

tristar

Visit site
we have a horse with a locking stifle and i would not sell it for any amount of money, and people who know it still ask if it is for sale, at 4 years old no one can condemn that horse

Floofball

Visit site
I personally wouldn’t consider it having taken on horses with known problems in the past. The next horse I get would have to have a clean bill of health before I parted with any money! BUT I do know of horses that have grown out of this problem and had competitive careers. If you think this horse may be ‘the one that got away’ it may be worth having the vetting? Whatever’s mentioned on the vetting will be excluded from insurance but exclusions can be lifted in the future. I would ask how current owners have managed the condition - what treatments they’ve tried etc and have a vet whose opinion you trust!

Leandy

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't. I would only consider it if it was very very cheap and my circumstances allowed me to take the risk of it being no good for my purposes and unsaleable. Pretty sure no insurance company will cover that issue, and will probably exclude all issues with both stifles if not more. I don't insure for vets fees, LOU in any event.

oldie48

Visit site
I've experience of a horse with a locking stifle just growing out of it once it had got stronger behind. If it was in an older horse I think it would be more related to conformation rather than lack of muscle etc. If I really liked the horse I'd want a vet's view and would be looking to reduce the price considerably, but I would have to be completely in love with it as it is a risk.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Most things have been mentioned about this horse. At 10k it's a fairly pricey horse & yest it may have 'potential', but almost every horse you see advertised is sold with 'potential'. This horse's potential is somewhat lower due to the stifle issue. I don't know the cost of an operation but I would think it's fairly expensive, several thousand pounds & with no guarantee of a positive result. In effect the 10k horse will be costing you 10k plus the operation & aftercare. If you are set on the idea of having it then speak to your vet regarding the operation & prognosis & the cost. In my opinion there are many horses out there with 'potential' who have not got issues & would be around 10k, I'd be looking for another & walk away from this animal no matter how lovely you may feel he is.