Buying a horse

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Never realised how hard it is to find a horse for someone!
Have been to see 3 horses now.

Horse 1 looked nice in pics, owner said would probably be too small but I thought it worth the trip. Unfortunately the people looking after it did not know we were coming soon enough and it had been given a jab the day before. Came out very sorry for itself, slightly unlevel and looking totally doped! - 7 hour round trip

Horse 2 - described as liver chestnut and saw black and white photo. Arrived to find black horse with black mane and tail looking extremely common and nothing at all like the photo. Can liver chestnuts have jet black mane and tail? Nowhere near the stated height. - 6 hour round trip

Horse 3 - unlevel behind, lazy and slightly dishonest in its approach to life. Really not as described - 12 hour round trip

Surely the least people can do when they know you are travelling long distances to view a horse is check that it is sound.

Think I may advise them to give up and wait for one to appear which will happen as soon as they no longer have the money to spend on a new horse!

Skhosu

Visit site
stop looking and buy through word of mouth!
Looking for a quiet allrounder fo rmum,, eventually ended up w/ perfect horse, except it colicked and had to be PTS.
Before that, looked at a 'quiet' horse who was good in school, but not trained. Good w/ traffic.
It was gorgeous, but spooked at tractors( they had lots happening that day but they said it was bombproof!), the lorry, very forward bound and not a quiet novice ride at all!
I try not to go see horses nobody knows anymore, there is usually a reason no-one knows it!

Oldred

Visit site
I am horse hunting and have had similar experiences. First four horses - lame. The various owners appeared not to know or were practised liars.

Next one an ex racehorse, hobdayed but owner didn't realise and very thin. Large cob advertised as wonderful quality had spints, swollen fetlocks, mange mites and was emaciated (hunting fit apparently). Two really expensive 'warmbloods' from posh yard - one two inches smaller than described with capped hock and aversion to a bit, the other ewe necked and aversion to a bit (both ridden by the professional dealer). Rode a lovely horse who the dealer told me had reared when taken hunting. He was fabulous to ride but something wasn't right. Turns out he had put someone in hospital by rearing as they mounted. Didn't stop them letting me get on though - scumbags. I could go on.........

I am waiting for mine to appear also... better hurry up as I'm not getting any younger!

Vicky7041

Visit site
My friend was recently looking for a pony for her son. he is 3, so pony had to be BOMBPROOF, we saw lame, lamenitic ponies and one that we wouldn't even let them tack up.

People say such crap on the phone in a desperate attempt that when you get there you might buy it??!!! Dunno what their reasoning! But we then bought something word of mouth! Its gotta be the best way.

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
I am having the same problem - and it's worse because I know nothing about horses and am buying for my daughter.

First horse we wanted head shook - but I didn't know what that was. Luckily the vet noted it. But cost me £120 to find out not to buy it.

It's really scaring me know that I might end up making a big mistake because of my ignorance. My daughters, 14 and 16, have been riding since they were 5 and already have one pony (we were very lucky there I think) and have quite alot of knowlege. The thing is they fall in love with a horse and want me to ignore any problems.

I am finding this very hard!

RachelB

Visit site
I see a pattern emerging (just) - the further away the less like the description they are! I found that, I travelled further than the 'catchment area' I set, twice, to see lovely horses that turned out to be covered in sarcoids and splints, had been fired, were allergic to flu jabs, and the nicer one wouldn't let me get on it without tanking off down the arena, amongst other things (oh no dear, it hasn't raced, and it's not pure TB... *coughcough*!!!)
I eventually found my match close to home and exactly as described (in fact she's better than I expected, a total star!)
I wish you all the luck you can get to find 'The One', I'm already dreading looking for my next horse (only had mine five months)!

_OC_

Visit site
All I can say is it's a bl**dy mine field when buying-been to see horses that even the owners won't get on that's when I leg it........all I can say to any one buying THE BEST OF LUCK.......you will find just takes time.......

rcm_73

Visit site
I agree, word of mouth is best & a horse from not too far afield. Everywhere I go locally I meet someone that knew my horse at some stage of her career so it's good to hear what they have to say. This can also work if you ask about when you've spotted something you like but before you hand over the cash. I'm currently considering buying something off our yard, I've ridden it already, I know who the current owners bought it off. The worst purchase I ever made was a horse no-one knew and that not even the owner wanted to ride, however it was cheap & seemed very placid, lying down in the field when we went up to it & went quietly under saddle in the arena. Looking back it was probably doped as a few days after arriving on our yard it turned into a napping & rearing nightmare! As they say...you only get what you pay for.

Alex_kate

Visit site
i saw quite a few and it is a nightmare! word of mouth and a reputable stud i think is the best, they have their reputaion to worry about so most of the time wont sell you a dud!

SSM

Visit site
You are just looking at the wrong kind of horse!!!!!!
grin.gif

Know where there is a beautiful clean CB for sale - no not mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tongue.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
It is a minefield - and it doesn't stop when you buy them! Had mine vetted and he turned out (after 6 weeks) to be blind in one eye and now that the cold weather it settling in he's intermittently lame on his shoulder (lots of nice expensive supplements me thinks)......

Rambo

Visit site
I've just helped a friend at our yard find her first horse. We went to a couple of local dealers...both reputable. The first horse we saw was a disgrace imo...it looked like an ILPH case and we didn't hang around for long at all ! The second was even better than described by the dealer. We arrived early and unannounced (due to the shorter than expected stay at the first dealers yard), yet we were made to feel very welcome. We spent plenty of time with the mare before tacking her up and riding her. Having ridden in the school, my friend was then offered the opportunity to take her out for a hack which she did. Having decided the horse was very much the sort of thing that she was looking for, the dealer offered her the opportunity to come back and ride again as many times as she wanted to....in fact gave her a lesson on her the next day and allowed her to take her out for another hack. The horse was vetted last week and the vet himself commented on what a lovely mare she was, and what a good price too.........and she arrives at our yard next week
smile.gif

It must be extremely frustrating travelling miles to see horses that aren't as described, but there are good horses out there, and some dealers are good too.

Just posting this to show the other side of the story really
smile.gif

Nic

Visit site
We gave up on private sellers after about 8 horrendous horses, that were nothing like described!

Ended up going to my local dealer (George Babes) and found D who has been everything we wanted and an awful lot more. Would definately go back to George again.

Alibear

Visit site
Then there's the fun of finding tack and rugs to fit once you purchase said beast.

The very reason I am not looking forward to horse hunting again!

Dotilas

Visit site
I know what you mean about the distance!

Travelled 4 hours to see a "7 year old haflinger mare" as the dealer openly came out about her not being 9 as she said in the advert. Also went to see a "viceless 16hh safe Cob gelding" whilst we were there.

Got there, asked groom how old the mare was, he openly replied: 4. He just broke her the other day! He apologised profusely and was very embarrased!

Then asked about the gelding. He was actually a 15hh ID, stood weaving chronically in his stable! Was tres annoyed, so we went to see another cob on the way back, and bought him there and then!

We would have never gone to see the cob, if not for the dodgy dealer!

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Unfortunately I sold my part bred CB earleir this year and she won't sell him back! The problem is I need to find for these people a full up 15.1 cob type that is HOYS material. I have been offered some "ok" types for £17k which to be quite honest is completely laughable. I am sure there is one out there, but in the meantime if any of you have a 155cm (on the large side!) cob type with at least 9" of bone, good moving, nice if it were coloured, comfortable and happy horse, please let me know!

delphipuppy

www.treliverstud.co.uk
It works both ways unfortunately. I have a lovely 5 year old for sale, who has been tried by several people. All have said he is exactly as described, 16hh (measured in front of them) very green as haven't had time to ride him during the stud season. He has just started jumping under saddle, in fact the perfect project for someone to work on over the winter ready to take out in the spring.
First person, rode so badly she pulled him in the mouth badly, and I had to ask her to stop.
Second person was very novice and not good enough for him. Third person was a 14 year old girl who rode him beautifully and after two visits they decided they wanted him and would organise the vet then phoned back the next day and said they wanted something they could take out and compete straight away.

With all these riders he behaved impecably, what more does this lovely horse have to do?? He is clean limbed, excellent to handle, fab bloodlines and siblings who are serious competition horses - I despair!!

SueHammond

Visit site
I feel for you - I am now looking for a first horse for my daughter (we have had three ponies). I am trying to go down the 'word of mouth route', however our 1st pony came through the classifieds and was an absolute gem. Our current mum & daughter cob x we got by asking our local riding school to look out for us. You could put up ads in all the feed merchants, tack shops and ask your farrier.

I would not rule out dealers totaly, you need to check their warranty and contracts carefuly, you could ask if they have anyone who could give a reference, satisfied customers etc.

It is always worth asking for a trial period with private vendors, if they have nothing to hide they may agree. However when we sold our 1st pony, who was probably about the kindest safest pony on the planet we let him go out twice - never again!

I have set myself a strict milage limit. If its out of my area I will not go. That way any wasted visits are only short ones. There are bound to be good horses in your area, and as one of the other comments said, its more likely that some one will know it (and any problems).

Good luck