Buying a just weaned foal - advice needed

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
What are the pros and cons? What do you need to consider with regards to livery - are they best kept on livery at a stud or would a livery yard with two or three other youngsters be okay? Should they be out 24/7 through the winter (this would be a purebred arab foal)? Can they be turned out with older horses or is this inadvisable?

Any advice gratefully received!

1275gta

Visit site
When we used to by welsh's we used to keep them stabled with some turnout so they were handeled every day.

We used to feed a mixture of milk nuts and mix for the first couple of months, mind you some of them had come straight off the hills.

jamid1

Visit site
I've bought 2 newly weaned foals (both dutch warmbloods) and had no problems. The first one was turned out with my old mare, she was bout 23 or 24 at the time. They were out during the day and stabled at night.
The second one was turned out with the two year old (that was the first foal mentioned above). Again they were stabled at night and out during the day.
I think as long as they have company it doesn't really matter. I prefer to stable as night as live in Scotland so the weather can be really wild and horrible during the winter.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
A livery yard where he/she can be kept with other youngsters would be fine - as long as it is understood that all and sundry don't go and play with them. While regular handling of youngsters is desirable, it has to be sensible, consistent and firm handling or the nicest weanling can turn into the yearling from hell!

I like 24 hour turn-out if it's practical - if not, it doesn't hurt to have them in overnight as long as they get some decent turnout during the day.

I prefer not to turn weanlings out with older horses UNLESS it's one weanling who needs keeping in check - an older 'nanny/ can do a good job there. But generally youngsters just pi** off older horses - who may retaliate with a well-aimed kick!

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
All my weanlings get 24/7 turn out, they are rugged during the worst part of the year with shelter and have an older nanny to keep them in check. They are brought in for routine worming, feet checks, vet care etc. I also don't agree with the over handling of youngsters as they can get very cocky and bargy if they work out they are stronger than the handler. Which they do very quickly if allowed.

When I was younger my vet arrived at the yard to vaccinate the youngsters. When he got out of his car he was white in the face. I asked him what was wrong. Apparently he had just been to inject a foal not far away from me. While he was injecting it the foal reared up and put its front feet on the vets shoulders. The vet was shocked and pushed it to the floor. The young girl who owned the foal said isn't he clever, I taught him how to do that. The vet replyed, do you realize this foal is going to weigh over 500 kilos when fully grown and will probably kill someone or end up being killed as it will be labeled as dangerous.

Foals are great fun when younger, but anything they learn then will be carried though until they are big heavy strong adults.

Maizy

Visit site

''When I was younger my vet arrived at the yard to vaccinate the youngsters. When he got out of his car he was white in the face. I asked him what was wrong. Apparently he had just been to inject a foal not far away from me. While he was injecting it the foal reared up and put its front feet on the vets shoulders. The vet was shocked and pushed it to the floor. The young girl who owned the foal said isn't he clever, I taught him how to do that. The vet replyed, do you realize this foal is going to weigh over 500 kilos when fully grown and will probably kill someone or end up being killed as it will be labeled as dangerous.''

OMG - that is crazy some people should not have horses.

CBFan

Visit site
In a livery yard for a weanling I'd look for: turnout withsafe secure and high fencing, preferably with only one other horse untill weanling is a yearling and then gradual introduction to a herd would be fine.

Also make sure that weanling isn't going to get left in the field by himself - this is when accidents happen!

I'ts good for them to have daily handling so in at night in winter would be good buut it is equally benefivial fo them to have good turnout.