Buying a partially sighted horse

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I agree with goldenstar. You need to know for sure it's a stable condition. I had one that lost 50% vision in both eyes suddenly and she was a bit spooky for a couple of weeks and then was perfectly ok.
I've currently got a horse with uvietis and its progressively got worse. He's currently unsafe to be ridden. We've gone from horse of a lifetime to probably retiring a 6 yr old

wow my first mare lost 85 % of her vision, blind in one eye and 20% only as the cataract detached and took the lens with it. I still rode her she used to p off with me, had such trust.

The importance of uviitis is to catch the warning signs, my late mare had it and I knew the shaking of the head was the warning sign and vet gave me atropine to get in there asap after the warning she lost very little vision..

very sudden is harder for the horses, my mares was slowly she learnt to cope.

Does your horse start to shake his head poiuytrewq???

just trying to help here:)
http://horse-care-and-advice.weebly.com/u.html

The important thing with uveitis apart from learn the signs of a flare up is
get meds in
keep mask on
avoid windy days
bright days
snowy days

Last edited:

Faithkat

Visit site
I was given a NF pony who lost the sight in his left eye at a day old (infection). It never bothered him as he never really knew what it was like to have two functioning eyes. He was a stunning pony but when I sold him he went for peanuts as no-one could (pardon the pun) see past the blind eye. It's amazing how stupid people can be. There was a one-eyed horse in the dressage at last year's Olympics (Santana competing for Sweden)!!

Mearas

Visit site
I was once advised to turn down a horse that was found to have a cataract on vetting, which I did. The horse went on to be on the British European team with his rider who is now regularly seen on the Grand Prix circuit:( Congratulations and Good Luck

Meeko

Visit site
Well I got my gorgeous new mare on the 5th April, the eye sitution doesnt bother me at all.
She has settled in brilliantly.
Im now having a difficult time trying to do some research into her breeding

Last edited:

babs2507

Visit site
I rode a 20 year old dutch gelderlander for about 4 years. He had an olcerated eye which meant that it was like looking out of a bathroom window for him. He was great, he did everything. Sometimes he was a little wary but was never stupid about it! Good Luck with her! :)

lamlyn2012

Visit site
Have a read of jilly coopers "jump" about a one eyed racehorse! Apparently there are a number of one eyed racehorses with successfull careers.

Pale Rider

Visit site
I had a one eyed horse and a mate down the road has one. Horses live in the now, and don't think, 'poor me, I've only got one eye', so a one eyed horse is the same in his head as any other. They cope easily with 50% vision, but do make changes to their head carriage.
Their blind spot is massive though so train it to keep out of your space. I made sure mine stayed out, my mate didn't.
He ended up with 25 stitches in his napper having been smote with a jaw bone accidentally.
Otherwise no probs, go for it.