Buying a pony for a small child. Lots of questions!!

rachk89

Visit site
I bought a l/r f/r schoolmaster from the depths of Inverness, didn't go to see him just had him vetted and put on a transporter. He's an absolute star so if the pony in Perth ticks all of your boxes why not go for it?

This to be honest. Finding a pony like what you want is difficult and near impossible. There is one for sale by a forum member who is respected by many and knows how to train ponies well. As much as I don't like the idea of buying unseen, for the price and likelihood it is going to be one of the most sensible ones currently for sale, might it not be worth the chance? I would probably rather buy from someone unseen but had good 'reviews' so to speak than buy one from someone closer but who I didn't know.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
I bought a l/r f/r schoolmaster from the depths of Inverness, didn't go to see him just had him vetted and put on a transporter. He's an absolute star so if the pony in Perth ticks all of your boxes why not go for it?

We thought we had managed to do the same this time last year. But we were conned.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
This to be honest. Finding a pony like what you want is difficult and near impossible. There is one for sale by a forum member who is respected by many and knows how to train ponies well. As much as I don't like the idea of buying unseen, for the price and likelihood it is going to be one of the most sensible ones currently for sale, might it not be worth the chance? I would probably rather buy from someone unseen but had good 'reviews' so to speak than buy one from someone closer but who I didn't know.

Thanks for your kind comments but I wouldn't like to sell to someone who had doubts about whether it was a good idea. Ponies can do odd things with a rider change. I've got a 10 year old mare I've owned for 4 years. Had everyone from a kid to a novice adult on her and done everything with her in that time. She's never put a foot wrong. Put my daughter on her for the first time and she took off with her and bronked her off. Had I just bought her I would have been thinking I had been conned! No one was more surprised than me, except maybe my daughter :eek: As it was I knew she hadn't done it before, and she hasn't done it again!

So I certainly wouldn't talk the OP into my pony although I know she is about as perfect for the job as any you are likely to find LOL

Collecting daughter's new pony from Suffolk on Thursday with a free space on the box both ways tho ;)

Fiona

Visit site
That's a good point FW..My son fell off his new loan pony half a dozen times the first week we had her, if I didn't know her I'd have been packing her bags lol...

Out of interest, is this another unseen pony or have you already travelled from Perth to Suffolk once to view?

How are you getting on with your search OP?

I reckon it's a good time to find a pony now coming into winter...

Fiona

FfionWinnie

Visit site
That's a good point FW..My son fell off his new loan pony half a dozen times the first week we had her, if I didn't know her I'd have been packing her bags lol...

Out of interest, is this another unseen pony or have you already travelled from Perth to Suffolk once to view?

How are you getting on with your search OP?

I reckon it's a good time to find a pony now coming into winter...

Fiona

No a very good friend is very generously giving us a pony her children have outgrown. He's older and needs the right management but he is a very experienced pony eventer as well as PC pony. He is a pony I could never afford to buy for her and will teach her loads. I felt it was better to transport him myself and also take my daughter down to meet his previous rider so she feels happy that her pony has gone to someone who will appreciate him.

Does mean we do need to reduce our smaller ones otherwise they will be standing doing nothing.

rachk89

Visit site
Thanks for your kind comments but I wouldn't like to sell to someone who had doubts about whether it was a good idea. Ponies can do odd things with a rider change. I've got a 10 year old mare I've owned for 4 years. Had everyone from a kid to a novice adult on her and done everything with her in that time. She's never put a foot wrong. Put my daughter on her for the first time and she took off with her and bronked her off. Had I just bought her I would have been thinking I had been conned! No one was more surprised than me, except maybe my daughter :eek: As it was I knew she hadn't done it before, and she hasn't done it again!

So I certainly wouldn't talk the OP into my pony although I know she is about as perfect for the job as any you are likely to find LOL

Collecting daughter's new pony from Suffolk on Thursday with a free space on the box both ways tho ;)

That's true to be fair. Good luck with your new pony. :)

Fiona

Visit site
Sounds lovely FW... Health to enjoy :)

And we need lots of pics obviously :)

Winning sounds gorgeous, I'm sure she will be sold in no time..

Fiona

mystiandsunny

Visit site
Thanks all for the advice, new pony is arriving today!! Came from a wanted ad and she isn't quite what I was imagining (I was thinking something like FfionWinnie's pony and this is a shetland cross) but is clearly what my son wanted. I don't think I had realised quite how desperate he was for a pony of his own until we had tried her. He couldn't sleep for excitement! He is a gentle little soul and this pony is in her teens so has seen it all before and is very kind. I think they will have a lot of fun together!