Buying a project horsebox

littlen

Visit site
Following on from old thread.
I have foubd a 3.5 movano for a very low price, the reason it is cheap is that it has no tax/mot and needs a respray as has some dints etc. Now how would I know whether it was mechanically aound without an mot? Lady says it is but obviously she could just say anything!! Its a long way to travel for the wrong lorry!

I have also found someone who will convert my own to my spec but this is double the price of the first.

Would you risk the first one? If so how would I get it home with no tax or mot from 200 miles away?

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Did it fail its MOT or was it just allowed to lapse?

Will it still be cheap by the time you have factored in getting it inspected for soundness and trailered home?

smellsofhorse

Visit site
There are companys that will do a pre purchase inspection for you.

As for getting it home it would have to go on a low loader, as I obviously not currently road legal.

BigRed

Visit site
get the reg number, and the mot certificate number, you can then go onto the DVLA website and look at the history of the old MOT's. It will show all the advices the mechanics gave when they did the previous MOT's. It is possible the last MOT suggested it would need a lot of welding or new brake pipes etc, it won't tell you about the engine or gearbox, but it will tell you a lot of other things.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Don't buy it without having a mechanic take a good look at it because you could end up with a real lemon!

The vehicle would be easier to sell if it had an MOT on it, the fact that seller hasn't put an MOT on it tends to ring the alarm that there is expensive work that needs doing on it. You won't know unless a mechanic checks it out thoroughly. You are obviously a novice regarding vehicle maintenance & repair so don't do anything without a full report, even if you are charged for the inspection it could save you a fortune in the end.