Buying a saddle - advice please

Kacey88

Visit site
I currently own a GP wintec saddle that I find great for use during the winter, out on hacks etc. I want to get something a bit smarter though, mainly because I enjoy showing so much. So I want something with a straighter cut, but maybe a pure showing saddle would be a waste as I do a bit of everything, including dressage and working hunter. So am I better off getting a WH saddle? What's the differnece between VSD and WH saddles? I live in Ireland and the choice isn't all that great, where do you guys sell your second hand saddles? I've only tried preloved.

Thanks for any advice :)

appylass

Visit site
I'd choose a WH if you want to show as it's more correct. I think they are straighter cut than VSD so show off the shoulder more. I bought mine off the tack section of Horsequest, they often have show/ WH saddles on there. The person I bought mine from was happy to post it at cost. You can often find them on ebay too.

Arizahn

Visit site
I live in Ireland too and am always amazed by how few saddlery shops we have here compared to the number of horses.
Have you tried Gumtree? Or the tack section of Horseabout?

Tammytoo

Visit site
Horsequest usually have a good number of second hand working hunter saddles, but your best bet is Saddles Direct. They have a good selection of second hand and you can get up to three saddles at a time on trial before you buy.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
A VSD will have a seat, panel, cantle etc that look a bit like a dressage saddle, it's kind of "too much saddle" to really look right for showing, even though the flap is more or less right. WH saddles might have a slightly more forward stirrup bar, but will generally have a smaller flap from front to back, to show more of the pony, and will in many instances be slightly straighter cut then a VSD.

If you can find the budget for one I fit for www.nativeponysaddles.com and the owner Andrea is amazing at fitting from photos etc. The saddles are beautiful quality, and if you have a horse that is not wide or flat then our Phoenix range may work instead.